Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be attending a few drive-in cinema events over the coming weeks. One of the requirements is for the car to be off (including all lights off) while still having radio on to get the audio through the FM radio.

What I want is to leave my car on so that the 12v aux battery stays charging. But then how do I completely turn off the Daytime Running Lights?

"OFF" on the lights stalk still leaves those lights on.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Utility mode does that on the e-Niro. Does the Soul EV have that?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Utility mode does that on the e-Niro. Does the Soul EV have that?
I don't think the older Soul EV does. If it does: I have not found it yet.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
131 Posts
Two possible work-arounds:

An extra, fully-charged 12V battery plugged into the lighter socket.

Thick black plastic sheeting secured by masking tape over the lights. On and off in seconds.

EDIT:
Just checked the handbook, and the DRLs are allegedly off if the parking brake is applied.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried it on my 2018 30kWh - it doesn't work :mad:
Thanks. That did not work for me either (15-plate, 27kWh model).

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
131 Posts
I've had a look at some Soul circuit diagrams and it appears that the DRL lamps are earthed (black wire) locally to the lamp housing. So if you insert a switch or relay in the earth wire of each, that will disable them. Headlamps have separate earth wires (also black), so be sure to get the correct wire - unbolt the wire from the body and see which lamp(s) have been disabled.

You would either have to open the bonnet and operate the switches before & after the performance, or control the relays from a switch in the cabin.

In most cases, the turn lamp shares the DRL lamp earth, but that shouldn't be an issue as long as you remember to switch on before driving off.

EDIT:
After more study, it appears that the DRL supply wire is always red, and the other lamps always use other colours, so you could put the switches/relays in the red wires. The parking lamp function uses a separate supply wire (red/black) (whether the lamp is shared or not) so that would be unaffected. I recommend you interrupt the red wires, unless they are all encased in harness, and the black wires are more accessible.

One caveat. The manual I am using is for EV and non-EV, but the EV case is not specifically identified in the headlamp & exterior lamp diagrams. I assume this is because there is no difference.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had a look at some Soul circuit diagrams and it appears that the DRL lamps are earthed (black wire) locally to the lamp housing. So if you insert a switch or relay in the earth wire of each, that will disable them. Headlamps have separate earth wires (also black), so be sure to get the correct wire - unbolt the wire from the body and see which lamp(s) have been disabled.

You would either have to open the bonnet and operate the switches before & after the performance, or control the relays from a switch in the cabin.

In most cases, the turn lamp shares the DRL lamp earth, but that shouldn't be an issue as long as you remember to switch on before driving off.

EDIT:
After more study, it appears that the DRL supply wire is always red, and the other lamps always use other colours, so you could put the switches/relays in the red wires. The parking lamp function uses a separate supply wire (red/black) (whether the lamp is shared or not) so that would be unaffected. I recommend you interrupt the red wires, unless they are all encased in harness, and the black wires are more accessible.

One caveat. The manual I am using is for EV and non-EV, but the EV case is not specifically identified in the headlamp & exterior lamp diagrams. I assume this is because there is no difference.
Thank you! That seems like the best solution.
Just a thought: maybe I just pull the fuse out?

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
131 Posts
Good idea. It's the 4th fuse from the top of the LH column - 10A in the cabin fusebox. It's not clear whether it only feeds the DRLs, or other services as well.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
131 Posts
I've emailed KIA support, and their reply was that the 2020 Soul EV doesn't turn out DRL for the parking brake, but it does for dipped headlamps and front foglamps (which mine should also do, according to the handbook - but does not). I've sent them a scan of my handbook page, told them I think there's a software issue, and asked them to check with Korea.

It would be helpful if other GB-model 30kWh Soul EV owners could report what theirs do, in this thread.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
131 Posts
Update: KIA's response was to refer me to my dealer. Apparently, they will not discuss technical issues direct with customers. Bah.

I had a chat with the local dealer service desk. He said he believes the DRL setup can be altered using the KIA service interface box (or whatever it's called) to at least turn DRLs off. He doesn't know if it also can affect "conditional" control, but is willing to have a look when I bring the car in for annual service next month.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
131 Posts
Update:

Took the car in for servicing, and they had a look. Apparently, they cannot affect the DRL system with their interface box, but they agreed to investigate the mismatch between car and handbook. They came back to tell me they understood that I had the wrong handbook, because my car was built in October 2107 (funny, because my handbook is dated 2017 !) . I understood that the 2018 model-year (i.e. 30kWh battery model) started in October 2017, in which case it is certainly not the wrong handbook. They emailed me a scan from another handbook, which does not show the entry for handbrake. It did not show which handbook it was.

It says: The DRL system will turn OFF when

1. The front foglamps or headlamps (low beam) are ON
2. The engine is OFF

Trying that on the car, the DRL Lamps are still lit in condition 1, but dimmer - this is apparently because they are both
DRL and sidelights - the dimmed condition is the sidelights. Anyway, it's no help for drive-in movies, but pulling the DRL fuse should do the trick. Have you tried it yet?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

Took the car in for servicing, and they had a look. Apparently, they cannot affect the DRL system with their interface box, but they agreed to investigate the mismatch between car and handbook. They came back to tell me they understood that I had the wrong handbook, because my car was built in October 2107 (funny, because my handbook is dated 2017 !) . I understood that the 2018 model-year (i.e. 30kWh battery model) started in October 2017, in which case it is certainly not the wrong handbook. They emailed me a scan from another handbook, which does not show the entry for handbrake. It did not show which handbook it was.

It says: The DRL system will turn OFF when

1. The front foglamps or headlamps (low beam) are ON
2. The engine is OFF

Trying that on the car, the DRL Lamps are still lit in condition 1, but dimmer - this is apparently because they are both
DRL and sidelights - the dimmed condition is the sidelights. Anyway, it's no help for drive-in movies, but pulling the DRL fuse should do the trick. Have you tried it yet?
I have not. It did not matter in the end at the drive-in we went to. If we go to any more similar events then we will probably take the e-Niro where there is an option to turn them off (someone else posted above).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts