Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently bought an October 2016 Passat GTE and I'm still discovering it and it's functions. My main question is, is there a way to connect to the car via the WeConnect app and is there a way to track it on the map via the inbuilt onboard GPS? I'm not sur eif i can connect to it since the subscription services are no longer available but it would be cool to see the range and other features on the map. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2018 vehicle, owned for just over a year, with WeConnect app connected and working with car location etc as you say. This week I received an email from VW telling me that it will expire on 29th Nov, and to continue using it, I need to renew my subscription. Several clicks through the VW site, and I was presented with two options;
1) a £55 subscription to use WeConnect. (vehicle location, pre heat / cool car, see if windows / doors etc are open)
2) £70 to continue receiving sat nav updates, petrol station finder, POI's etc

What a cheek !

Maybe you don't have such a subscription?

Reactions: zohar

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is a cheek given the system barely functions. I didn't renew as the functionality is just not reliable.

Map updates should be possible from below link (I haven't tested since my sub expired though):

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got this message yesterday (29 Nov) when I tried to use the app.

I got the car new at the end of January.
Don’t tell me they only give 9 months from new?!?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went online today to do a bit more digging. 77 euro for the Satnav thingy and 55 for the app with location etc. Cheeky indeed. At least I know I have this function but not sure if I am too bothered to pay for this since I just use android auto or Google maps etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, I don't think I will bother with the map subscription, but the app that lets you pre heat / cool the car will be a loss as I actually use that a fair bit. Also, its been interesting viewing whilst the car has been with VW, (6 times for side assist sensors - that's another story) to see where it is and see windows / bonnet open etc and it SOC.
I just wish it worked 100% of the time.

Reactions: M777KES

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is a cheek given the system barely functions. I didn't renew as the functionality is just not reliable.

Map updates should be possible from below link (I haven't tested since my sub expired though):

I've successfully updated the maps on my '66 plate GTE using an SD card. Took a while but worked no problem.
I don't have the subscription.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've successfully updated the maps on my '66 plate GTE using an SD card. Took a while but worked no problem.
I don't have the subscription.

I was just about to ask. My maps are 2016 database. Is there a way to update them without having VW interfere directly? Mine is also 66 plate! :) It's a bit pointless carrying a lot of electronics around that serves no purpose i.e. old maps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts