Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who has had an EV for even a short time will notice that hills significantly reduce range. Well, the UP parts do! So it is quite important that if you are anywhere close to the limit of the range of your EV that you determine if there are any significant hills that might reduce your expected range.

I think everyone is looking forward to full 3D route planning that properly takes into account terrain but in the meantime this web site is proving useful.

It uses Google Maps and give you a vertical profile of your route.

http://www.doogal.co.uk/RouteElevation.php

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
There's an EV-specific route planner that has digital elevation included. I used it back when planning the epic Tesla roadtrips. Can't remember the URL off the top of my head, but if memory serves me correctly it was something to do with PIA.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Interesting stuff. I wondered if the LEAF nav was aware of the lay of the land, as around Milton Keynes it sometimes give me a different route in one direction to the other... same journey, no one way streets, traffic lights etc?

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
You can see on the link above that Manchester to Leeds goes from 55m absl up to 380m after roughly 28km then down to 68 meters after 70.6km. So I can use that to refine some calculations.

If you do the same between London and Folkstone, there is a high point of 224m after roughly 40km. On the northbound journey there is a climb from 11m to 224m in around 10km.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Interesting stuff. I wondered if the LEAF nav was aware of the lay of the land, as around Milton Keynes it sometimes give me a different route in one direction to the other... same journey, no one way streets, traffic lights etc?
Nissan advertise that the nav optimises route for maximum range. Whether that takes account of elevation I don't know, would be interesting to find out. I'll ask our PR contact if they can answer that for us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts