Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're trying to plan a visit from MK to Butlins in Bognor Regis (a bit of a challenge excluding Charge master stations) but wondered if we could do more to encourage businesses to install EV charging points.

For those in the hotel/guest house business, a couple of good Level 2 chargers would go a long way to making some longer weekend visits more practical. Zero Carbon World offer a point free of charge (only paying for installation).

We've just started tweeting businesses to install charging points. What have you done to get charging installed in a venue, and did it work?!

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
When I visited the Lost Gardens of Heligan last year I asked them (in person) to install charging points, and followed it up with an email containing a link to the ZCW free charging point web page. They seemed interested when I spoke to them, but no response to the email and no sign of charging points yet.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I raise the issue almost everywhere I go and make them aware of ZCW but it seems to have had little effect so far but I am a great believer in persistence. If several people mention it to an organisation then they are much more likely to take notice.

I am going to be looking to create a flyer that people can download from the Plug in Britain web site to hand to establishments and a section on the site tailored specifically to prospective charge point locations so we can provide them with all the necessary information and help them to make the decision to install charging.

So, if you are not yet a member of Plug in Britain and want to see more businesses install charging please sign up up pluginbritain.org. The more members we have the more stuff like this we can do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
At Centre Parcs this week. Really surprised to see there being no charge points here - for a company that uses its eco-credentials so readily for marketing purposes. Anyway, I tweeted them too:

They responded with a link to local charge points, all slow charge and (therefore) pointless for my journey back.

What makes this even more odd is that most of Centre Parc's on-site vehicles are electric!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Spoke to Jodrell Bank by phone re zero net then in person when visiting last November. left details (funnily enough coming out the was a Tesla Roadster in the car park as well as my Leaf).

Spoke to a rural pub in Shropshire the Stipersones Inn...were very keen and acting to get zero net posts last I heard.

Used Facebook to spread word.

Gave details re zero net to all dealers I visited to charge at.

Spoke to our local councilsm Gave details of zero net and other public charging options. Encouraged them to see it as an opportunity for businesses.

We're trying to plan a visit from MK to Butlins in Bognor Regis (a bit of a challenge excluding Charge master stations) but wondered if we could do more to encourage businesses to install EV charging points.

For those in the hotel/guest house business, a couple of good Level 2 chargers would go a long way to making some longer weekend visits more practical. Zero Carbon World offer a point free of charge (only paying for installation).

We've just started tweeting businesses to install charging points. What have you done to get charging installed in a venue, and did it work?!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
What have you done to get charging installed in a venue, and did it work?!
I have found a visit in my EV and a map of good charging (or lack of it) in the local area very powerful. If you can get across the idea that EVs are real today and they will be loosing customers then that's unacceptable for many businesses. Combine the visit with our free Charging Station 'sweetener' and they will eventually install (although sometimes it can take two years!).

·
Registered
377 Posts
funny i asked center parcs but i dont think they even replied to me

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think a cohesive strategy should be applied, call to ask if charging, follow up email to advise of lost custom due to know charging, and find out from ZCW their approved installer that covers the specific area, and work with them to follow up with a call.

If they start getting multiple calls they 'may' start to take notice.

In the instance of the OP, if you have a specific place in mind, get your partner to follow up as a separate enquiry.

·
Registered
377 Posts
ive tweeted them i said what a pr coo i suggested there MD shaking my hand in front of my car

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did get a reply from @Butlins, helpful, but not quite what I was looking for:
Of course, the actual answer I was looking for was:
@Butlins:
Of course my dedicated EV driver! We have two chargers free to use for all residents staying at any Butlins resort. Tell your EV-driving friends!
It's very tempting to start getting snarkey about it - but we do need to make sure we set the right tone, otherwise we just become "those shouty EV drivers".

On the plus side, we're going to a caravan park in Dorset in a couple of weeks that advertises "free electricity" - so the EVSE charger will be going in the boot that time!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Think we all need to start enquiring to lots of places, where you live mate

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just had someone reach out from Park Inn after I raised it with them. Pleased that they at least pass it on to the General Manager.

I suggest we ask all the comparison sites like hotels.com to add it to their advanced search criteria.
Not only would it be useful to be able to search but it would highlight it to hotel owners at the same time. I have already contacted Expedia and Hotels.com. Any more?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dear Richard:

I appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us. I believe I have just responded to your colleague regarding the charging of an electric car. It is something that has never been requested to myself and I will touch base with my head office to see if there is any future plan to incorporate such a charging facility into our hotels.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Park Inn we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Kind regards

Jason Morgan
General Manager
Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham West
0121 6099932
I sent him this link http://www.bestwestern.co.uk/blog/uncategorized/rest-charge-with-best-western and asked him to let me know what his plans are.

Thank you Richard will certainly look to incorporate this at the hotel
and will forward the link to my head office as a suggestion for all of
our properties in the UK.

Kind regards

Jason Morgan
PS yes I did press gang my work colleague raise it as well, he stays there much more than me and he does 20 k miles per year and he wants to go electric.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I suggest we ask all the comparison sites like hotels.com to add it to their advanced search criteria.
Not only would it be useful to be able to search but it would highlight it to hotel owners at the same time. I have already contacted Expedia and Hotels.com. Any more?
Funnily enough I have been chasing AirBnB about this very thing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have also decided to contact everywhere that I have stayed in the last 2 years and tell them I would like to come again but require charging facilities. In particular I am targeting places in the Yorkshire dales, North York moors and the Yorkshire Coast.

The Crowne spa in Scarborough is the only place on the Open Charge Map in that area.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I have also decided to contact everywhere that I have stayed in the last 2 years and tell them I would like to come again but require charging facilities. In particular I am targeting places in the Yorkshire dales, North York moors and the Yorkshire Coast.

The Crowne spa in Scarborough is the only place on the Open Charge Map in that area.
A couple of other thoughts for the newbies....

Make sure locations specify Charging Stations with Type 2 SOCKETS so that everyone can use them!

The ZCW charity provide free Charging Stations to public locations like hotels, B&Bs, car parks, activity centres, NT, etc;

http://zerocarbonworld.org/free-charging-stations

Kevin

I love what it is that you are doing in this.

Is there any chance that you could produce marketing packs and training for those of us interested in helping to promote these charge points to "days out" locations?

If you were, for example to book a conference room in one of the smarty-pants Best Western hotels, run a Saturday afternoon lecture session and a Sunday morning lecture session, giving us the "sales" patter and some PDF based content then I would happily stump up a couple of hundred quid to go out and speak to folks.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts