Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your strategy for finding a place to stay where you can charge up overnight?

I've started with Zap-Map, and searched for Type 2s in the area I'm looking for (Portsmouth, on this occasion) but they all seem to be in car parks rather than hotels. Any suggestions?

I see Novotels and Ibis hotels are due to start getting Chargemaster points across the UK this year, which will certainly help, but that's still in the future.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good question.

I've asked Zap-Map a few times whether they can classify by location type, but no answer.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Working backwards from ZapMap worked for me whe searching for holiday accommodation in central Wales.
But as the area is sparsely populated the likelihood of a charging point being associated with a tourism facility is pretty high.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Portsmouth City Centre for a weekend and they had access to EV charging in the Gunwharf Quays car park. There are 4 polar 7kW fast chargers in there, well marked and well covered by the car park security staff to ensure they don't get blocked. Problem is, both the hotel and the chargers are hideously expensive, but it is a convenient place to park yourself and wander around.

I take the opposite approach - I look for a hotel I like in a location I like then phone them up and ask them where I can plug the car in to charge. If they don't have a dedicated EV charge point they often as not will find some way of getting you a 13A socket somewhere and if they have neither I ask them when they're going to do something about it. It's always a good opportunity to suggest to them they should be making some provision and generating some awareness that there is a need there. Most of them have just never thought about it, so actually taking to the manager and educating them a bit is a Good Thing.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that specific info, @GreyDad. The Holiday Inn Express currently have an offer on a family room for £55 for the night that I need, which is about as good as it gets, so that's my reserve choice if I don't find somewhere with free charging.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Blimey, that's good, cost me £180 a night as I needed two rooms for our lot. A few times we've stayed up at the Premier Inn near Port Solent and had some good deals but it's a drive in and out if you want to see the city. Enjoyed it at the Quays.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Only one I was aware of was in the Marriott at the North end of the M275 mentioned in the earlier thread. It will be a bit more than the Holiday Inn Express.

As for strategy, I tend to look for a blue blob on zap map somewhere in the countryside and more times than not it turns out to be a hotel with a ZCW charge point. There are a few Best Westers around but others are often more like country clubs.

Not much in the area around Portsmouth I'm afraid.

One thing to remember about Gunwharf keys is that there is very poor phone signal there if you need to use the App. Very busy on a Saturday but for a while the security guards were coning off the EV bays (The chargers are on the floor where you enter immediately to your right as you come in but you need to do a circuit to get back to them). Check the charge fee first if you plan to leave it plugged in long term. I have not used this since the new Polar fee structure.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right, that's booked. Thanks for your help, good people. :)

FWIW, the Holiday Inn Express told me that the car park was right opposite and available for £2/day for hotel residents, BUT they had no idea whether there were any charge points in there.

I also phoned Visit Portsmouth, who were completely floored by the question and had never been asked that before; the person I spoke to even sounded surprised that it might be possible to connect a car to an electric supply. :(

I've emailed them both to politely pass on the information that I found, to print out and keep handy for the next time the query comes up.

On the other hand, the car park manager at Gunwharf Quays was super helpful and informative. Apparently the charge points are in Section K, which is on the same floor as the vehicle entrance to the car park.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The park and ride in Portsmouth have chargers, couldn't you just park there to get a charge ? Leaves the hotel location a bit more open.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The park and ride in Portsmouth have chargers, couldn't you just park there to get a charge ? Leaves the hotel location a bit more open.
Certainly for a day trip to Portsmouth that would be a fine option. In this case though, I'll be arriving late evening, with kids, for a quick overnight and then an early morning ferry, so I really need an overnight charge within immediate reach of a hotel. The Holiday Inn Express provides exactly that.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Good stuff @timsk hope you have a great time and it all works out. I took some pics of the chargers in the Gunwharf Quays car park I'll see if I can find them. I forgot to mention that the parking there is virtually free if you stay at the hotel so paying for the charging is not so painful.

By the way, the information system in Gunwharf Quays is superb, never seen anything like it before - overhead signs directing you to where there are spaces and each bay has a red/green light to show whether it's free or not. Just brilliant - doesn't direct you to the chargers though! If you look to your right when you take your ticket at the ticket barrier on the way in though you'll see them near the entrance - just drive round in a big circle to get to them.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Not sure this helps, but anyway here's the Gunwharf Quays charge points - I was very impressed that they were coned off but you might want to be careful of those pillars:

IMG_5332.JPG
IMG_5333.JPG

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This gets better and better — photos too. :) Thanks for those.

I take it that's a Type 2 socket lurking behind that black cover...?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Well, there's a 13A standard socket behind the left cover and a Type 2 behind the right cover.

You need an RFID card (maybe you have one) but I've just checked and you can operate them from the app but it's bloody expensive as they've just whacked all their charges up on Polar Instant - the app says the 7kW one is £1.50 per hour :eek::eek::eek: The 13A socket is 'only' £1.00 per hour :( If you're a Polar subscription customer (about £8/month) they won't cost anything as far as I know.

Still, at the rates your paying for the room you could charge for days at those rates and still pay less than I did for one night's stay :D

These two points are numbers 917 and 921 on the Polar Instant app.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Youth hostels are really good, in my experience they will always lay on a three pin plug.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts