Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
A related question — has anyone managed to find a hotel around Caen where they've offered an overnight charge? It'd be handy for an upcoming trip, to board the early morning ferry back to Portsmouth with a full battery.

(I know Tesla have a destination charger at Omaha Beach, but that's 45 minutes in the wrong direction; and yes, Kia offer a CHAdeMO in Hérouville, but it's only 20kW, so not quite a rapid, but a bit cheeky to stay connected overnight).

·
Registered
751 Posts
There do appear to be a number of MobiSDEC 22kW chargers around the town/city, some of which claim to be usable with some form of bank card. I have no idea whether this is correct, but have a look at Chargemap. By the way, have I ever pointed out that the Halifax Clarity credit card has no fees for use abroad? Saves us a fortune!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Not unfeasible, but the idea is to spend our last day with the French relatives, then leave for Caen just to spend the night before the ferry.

Gonna try the @nuCharge Type 3 cable rental service, I reckon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For info, it's the Hotel Libera at 42 Rue Nelson Mandela, 14460 Colombelles, France. They have one schuko, one Type 3 (boo!), and they're free of charge for hotel guests. They didn't know how much power's available.
chargemap suggest it is a type 2, but no check-ins or photos to confirm..
Other options include the cheap Ibis / Formule 1 hotels in Mondeville with the nearby (across the car park) Carrefour charging point... Although not sure about leaving the Tesla there unattended at night.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
chargemap suggest it is a type 2, but no check-ins or photos to confirm..
Uh, that was me, in a fit of excitement at finding an undiscovered charge point, posting it on ChargeMap based on the description by the guy on the phone rather than waiting for him to email me photos. Oops. I've submitted corrections now, which I imagine will be vetted and then approved.

Other options include the cheap Ibis / Formule 1 hotels in Mondeville with the nearby (across the car park) Carrefour charging point... Although not sure about leaving the Tesla there unattended at night.
Actually, having spent a bit longer with ChargeMap (and getting used to its somewhat erratic interface, sometimes showing charge points and sometimes not), I've found a number of hotels with public charge points very close by. I'll post a list when I've finished. :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Oh FFS... all my hard work for naught. Still good news though. :)

For completeness, in addition to the Hotel Libera mentioned above with its own charge point on site, I also found:
But yeah, it's very nice to have the superchargers on hand too.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Having now done the trip and put some of this research into practice:
  • Best Hotel Citis worked out as planned. The charge point at the Kia dealership appeared happy to accept pretty much any RFID card to start up, and is only a few minutes' walk from the hotel. Not the fastest (~15kW CHAdeMO) but perfectly acceptable, especially for free.
  • Hotel Ibis Budget Caen Mondeville was fine itself, BUT DON'T USE THE ADJACENT CHARGE POINTS OVERNIGHT! The car park where the charge points are located is right next to the hotel (see photo below from our bedroom window), BUT the automatic barriers that were open at 10pm on Sunday night were CLOSED at 7am on Monday. It's possible that there's another way out of the car park that wasn't blocked, but the entrance and exit that I could see both had their gates closed at the time when we left for our ferry.
IMG_20160822_064033.jpg

41 - 51 of 51 Posts