Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
We probably have 1.5 years until the Y is out In the UK, Maybe 3 before any “used” ones under 35k. Plenty of time to start saving!

what are your plans on how you are going to fund your model y? With our egolf we bought second hand and had savings for half and then got a 2 year bank loan for the other half. Might have to do similar this time to replace our aging diesel estate. Risky but Maybe stocks and shares isa and a medium risk fund?

Reactions: The4Rs

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Money I saved over last few years went to buying my current used Zoe, and hopeful I will retain much of that by the time I look to change in a year or so to the Model Y. Still worth around the same price as I bought it for (notwithstanding COVID-19 of course...), so hopeful I'll have a lot of that left. Now just putting money away into savings to build the rest.

Risky but Maybe stocks and shares isa and a medium risk fund?
Extremely risky...2 yrs is just not long enough, particularly with a set date in which you want to withdraw. There is as much chance of it being worth less than the capital as it is being worth more. Given the fees and volatility, I would stick with any high interest savings accounts you can.

The interest you accrue on monthly contribution is going to minimal anyway. Actually putting money aside is the important bit, not whether you happen to increase it by 1% each month or 3% or even 5%...

·
Registered
P2 on way, Mitsubishi Outlander just gone
17 Posts
You could always consider peer to peer lending as a way to get better rates (although 18 months may be a bit short)? I’ve been with Zopa since 2006, they’re very good and you have the knowledge that your money is being ethically lent rather than funding some big fat cat bankers bonuses. I’m seeing around 4.5-5.2% returns in the current climate and you can set up an ISA with them so it’s all tax free. It’s definitely not for everyone, as with everything there’s risk but they have been the most consistent performer in terms of savings I have had over the past 14 years and have always been way better than the banks and building societies. If you’re interested or want to find out more there’s a £50/£50 referral link in my signature.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,763 Posts
Why fund a Model Y when you could probably already afford a Kia Soul?

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why fund a Model Y when you could probably already afford a Kia Soul?
Isnt the boot Tiny? IT would be replacing an estate. I have 2 kids + accessories!

·
28,763 Posts
Isnt the boot Tiny? IT would be replacing an estate. I have 2 kids + accessories!
From
40 CFR 600.315 - 82 Classes of comparable automobiles.

"
Minicompact cars. Interior volume index less than 85 cubic feet.
(iii) Subcompact cars. Interior volume index greater than or equal to 85 cubic feet but less than 100 cubic feet.
(iv) Compact cars. Interior volume index greater than or equal to 100 cubic feet but less than 110 cubic feet.
(v) Midsize cars. Interior volume index greater than or equal to 110 cubic feet but less than 120 cubic feet. (vi) Large cars. Interior volume index greater than or equal to 120 cubic feet.
(vii) Small station wagons. Station wagons with interior volume index less than 130 cubic feet.
(viii) Midsize station wagons. Station wagons with interior volume index greater than or equal to 130 cubic feet but less than 160 cubic feet.
(ix) Large station wagons. Station wagons with interior volume index greater than or equal to 160 cubic feet.
"

MY2020 Kia Soul;
Interior volume120.9 cu. ft.

I cannot find the total volume for Model Y, but model X is only 120 cu ft, so the Model X is slightly smaller than MY2020 Soul

2020 Soul = "Large Car".

·
28,763 Posts
It's an optical illusion.

EPA have measured it.

;)

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is not a chance the soul has an even remotely close boot to the model Y.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
what are your plans on how you are going to fund your model y?
Buy bitcoin, wait a year, sell bitcoin. Or, if you're more risk averse, just put the cash in a cryptocurrency loan account such as Nexo - currently paying 8% pa on GBP. DYOR.

Reactions: BabyEVDriver

·
28,763 Posts
OK, let's talk about the e-tron if we're discussing big boots. What is that one like?

·
28,763 Posts
No, people assuming that total internal volume is related to boot size in different shapes of cars are. :devilish:
Or rather, people who assume you can't use the passenger volume to store stuff with people sitting there.

HINT ... it is allowed to put other stuff in the passenger volume ...

FWIW the Soul boot is very tall, you can fit strollers, unfolding cots, high chairs and such vertically. Notice in the photos offered, unlike the photo of the Tesla, you can't even SEE the roof line of the Soul boot, it is THAT tall!! ;)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Or, if you're more risk averse, just put the cash in a cryptocurrency loan account such as Nexo - currently paying 8% pa on GBP. DYOR.
Christ I hope you're being sarcastic....
Not at all - that institution is highly regulated, not all are. I made a lot of money on Bitcoin, including from trading and loans, so perhaps I'm not as scared of crypto as other people.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Not at all - that institution is highly regulated, not all are. I made a lot of money on Bitcoin, including from trading and loans, so perhaps I'm not as scared of crypto as other people.
Neither of your points say anything about the underlying risk.

Betting on the horses at Cheltenham is highly regulated and I'm sure plenty of people have made money from it....

I was objecting to your notion that it was in anyway, shape or form a more 'risk averse' option. It is at the absolute end of extremely high risk.

The fact that they try to make out that you get guaranteed returns of 8% is also very misleading. Much like the London Capital and Finance company that made similar claims and went under last year.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Bitcoin is currency trading. just without a workforce that enforced by law to be paid in it, to underpin it.

From
40 CFR 600.315 - 82 Classes of comparable automobiles.

"
Minicompact cars. Interior volume index less than 85 cubic feet.
(iii) Subcompact cars. Interior volume index greater than or equal to 85 cubic feet but less than 100 cubic feet.
(iv) Compact cars. Interior volume index greater than or equal to 100 cubic feet but less than 110 cubic feet.
(v) Midsize cars. Interior volume index greater than or equal to 110 cubic feet but less than 120 cubic feet. (vi) Large cars. Interior volume index greater than or equal to 120 cubic feet.
(vii) Small station wagons. Station wagons with interior volume index less than 130 cubic feet.
(viii) Midsize station wagons. Station wagons with interior volume index greater than or equal to 130 cubic feet but less than 160 cubic feet.
(ix) Large station wagons. Station wagons with interior volume index greater than or equal to 160 cubic feet.
"

MY2020 Kia Soul;
Interior volume120.9 cu. ft.

I cannot find the total volume for Model Y, but model X is only 120 cu ft, so the Model X is slightly smaller than MY2020 Soul

2020 Soul = "Large Car".
I see don trollin'

1 - 20 of 23 Posts