Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Brand new owner here, about six hours in!

I'm going to set aside a few hours tomorrow to read the manual front to back, but I'm hoping in the meantime someone might be able to help.

I know the steering is incredibly light as I can feel it when I'm turning or reversing, but when on the road proper it feels very locked and keen to turn back to the centre.

I'm assuming the lane keep assist's got to go. Can anyone give me guidance on how to get the steering as unrestricted as possible?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hello,

Brand new owner here, about six hours in!

I'm going to set aside a few hours tomorrow to read the manual front to back, but I'm hoping in the meantime someone might be able to help.

I know the steering is incredibly light as I can feel it when I'm turning or reversing, but when on the road proper it feels very locked and keen to turn back to the centre.

I'm assuming the lane keep assist's got to go. Can anyone give me guidance on how to get the steering as unrestricted as possible?

Thank you!!
You'll find it's explained in chapter 6...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm questioning whether it is the lane assist cutting in, or more that the power assist is backed off at higher speeds, which is very common in modern cars.... the theory is that you want more effort at higher speeds to avoid too much accidental movement which has much greater impact at higher speeds.

Greg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm questioning whether it is the lane assist cutting in, or more that the power assist is backed off at higher speeds, which is very common in modern cars.... the theory is that you want more effort at higher speeds to avoid too much accidental movement which has much greater impact at higher speeds.

Greg
I was only pootling around at like 20mph, so I don't think it's this.

Apparently the ECS kicks in above 6mph, so I'm going to experiment with turning that off today

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
Any particular reason you want to disable that safety feature? I have one road I’ve found where I don’t like the position it goes into with LFA activated, but the LKA won’t interfere unless you are about to touch the white lines.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think after poking around the web it's not actually LFA or LKA. I'm only going around town at <20mph, so neither of them would activate. I know the power steering weights up at higher speeds - I'm not sure what speed that kicks in it, but I'd expect it be something motorway adjacent.

I feel maybe it's traction control or something?

I can drive the Volkswagon e-golf around bends and curves literally with a single finger on the wheel - the Niro last night I was needing both hands and feeling some serious wrist strain at the same speeds. (about 20mph)

I'm hoping it's something to do with the electric traction control, and that I can disable that and get a bit more freedom in the wheel.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,007 Posts
I think after poking around the web it's not actually LFA or LKA. I'm only going around town at <20mph, so neither of them would activate. I know the power steering weights up at higher speeds - I'm not sure what speed that kicks in it, but I'd expect it be something motorway adjacent.

I feel maybe it's traction control or something?

I can drive the Volkswagon e-golf around bends and curves literally with a single finger on the wheel - the Niro last night I was needing both hands and feeling some serious wrist strain at the same speeds. (about 20mph)

I'm hoping it's something to do with the electric traction control, and that I can disable that and get a bit more freedom in the wheel.
It isn't really clear what you mean here. What do you think "electric traction control" is?

I've found the e-Niro steering to be comfortable and natural at all speeds with no strong pull to centre. Steering weight and feel varies between cars and, unless yours has a fault it just is what it is. There's no particular control over the steering feel I'm aware of, though the driving modes may affect this. If so I'd expect Sport mode to have a heavier feel at speed. I can't say I've noticed this but I tend to live in eco with mine.

In my experience the Lane Keep Assist can do undesirable things on many single carriage UK roads. It absolutely can't follow some bends on the A road I use regularly and even tries to pull you into on coming traffic. I tend to disable LKA by default for this reason.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It isn't really clear what you mean here. What do you think "electric traction control" is?

I've found the e-Niro steering to be comfortable and natural at all speeds with no strong pull to centre. Steering weight and feel varies between cars and, unless yours has a fault it just is what it is. There's no particular control over the steering feel I'm aware of, though the driving modes may affect this. If so I'd expect Sport mode to have a heavier feel at speed. I can't say I've noticed this but I tend to live in eco with mine.

In my experience the Lane Keep Assist can do undesirable things on many single carriage UK roads. It absolutely can't follow some bends on the A road I use regularly and even tries to pull you into on coming traffic. I tend to disable LKA by default for this reason.
Turns out I meant electronic stability control, which appears to be to do with wheelspin.

I don't know, I was just scanning for anything to do with control to see if I could disable it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
As others have said, it is a safety feature so you need to read the manual but to help your pain (its a big book) look at 6-62.LKA is the issue, turn it off with this switch every time you get in.

turn it on if you want steering cruise control

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,520 Posts
The only reasons, that I can think of, for a heavy steering:
  • low tyre pressure;
  • broken electronic power system;

Check the first and if all pressures are fine, get the car to a dealer to check the second.

Do not disable any of the safety devices that are not meant to be disabled. LKA should not have any impact on the "heaviness" of the steering wheel, unless you are confusing terminology.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I expect that the "weight" of the steering is a defined and specified resistance to turning which is part of the electronic steering program since there is no longer a mechanical element involved. This is why "weight" can be varied according to speed, so the steering wheel is easy to turn for parking but resists at higher speeds to prevent unintentional movements. Certain cars (Fiat?) had/have a "city" mode to make the steering especially light, but the Niro doesn't have this.

Driving any car around bends, or even on the straights, with just a single finger on the wheel is inherently dangerous. LKA and other driver aid systems are intended for use on motorways and other multi-lane roads, and even then it wants you to keeps your "hands on the wheel".

Barring a fault or very low tire pressures I don't imagine "weight" can be changed, and echo comments that turning off safety systems isn't a sensible choice to make in pursuit of "light" steering. If the car is "forcing" you to keep two hands on the steering wheel I would struggle to say that is bad thing... ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
As others have said, it is a safety feature so you need to read the manual but to help your pain (its a big book) look at 6-62.LKA is the issue, turn it off with this switch every time you get in.
View attachment 139616
turn it on if you want steering cruise control
LKA does not have to be ON for LFA to work with SCC (strange to relate). But, agreed, LKA OFF is part of my start-up routine, along with AUTO HOLD to ON and regen level to 0.

·
Registered
278 Posts

LKA is a pain in the butt, but I don't think that's the issue here.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
659 Posts
You're very lucky. I always find any car made after about 1992 has appalling steering courtesy of it being far too light and thus providing no feedback to the driver about whether the wheels are even touching the ground or not. That said, significant steering effort at those speeds doesn't really sound normal. I would expect to be able to operate the car with one hand on the wheel, albeit with a reasonably firm grip on the wheel.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
899 Posts
........I can drive the Volkswagon e-golf around bends and curves literally with a single finger on the wheel - the Niro last night I was needing both hands and feeling some serious wrist strain at the same speeds. (about 20mph)....
Here lies the real issue IMHO. I think you have simply gotten so used to a car with a relatively poor PS system design (way too light and with literally zero feel) that now you’re in a well designed one with a nice progressive feel v speed that it just feels wrong to you. Try it for longer you’ll very soon adapt to it I reckon.

Saying you needed both hands is a bit odd. You are supposed to keep both hands on the wheel anyway. Especially so whilst cornering! To not do so is asking for trouble. Sorry to preach but it’s true.

Also, check tyre pressures as if too low, would make it feel heavier (though this seems unlikely as TPMS would warn if they were excessively low). Incorrectly set front wheel tracking could also cause heavy steering load but I doubt this will be wrong on a brand new car.

LKA/LFA etc is down to personal taste. I think it’s total crap on all the roads I mostly use and so I always turn it all off. If I could permanently remove it from the car I would do! It might be good on motorways etc but I rarely if ever use them these days.

I think the PS setup on this car is spot on. It felt perfectly right from day one to me. It goes nicely where you point it at all speeds.

My twopence worth anyway. I hope you grow to love it!
Peter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Was this something that you noticed on a test drive before your purchasing decision?
I think the steering feel and weight is actually quite good and better than most. If you want the best feel steering you need to get a Porsche.
The pulling from the lane assist can be a little off putting but you soon get used to that and its incredible how it will steer itself round curves on the motorway, for me personally, the car does a bit too much binging and bonging but I can cope with that.
In summary the car is a brilliant package - loving every second, just need lockdown to end so we can do some electric road trips.
Philip

1 - 20 of 25 Posts