Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All;
I am about to plan a fairly long trip - Well longer than I usually take (Ie. 120 miles) and I am in the process of plotting my route to visit a charging station say every 40 miles along my route. I have at times visited a charging station that wasn't functioning. Since there is a lack of charging stations "Between" large cities in Ohio, I get nervous that one of the charging stations I plan to visit will be non-functioning when I get there. Is there any way to determine if a station is functioning prior to leaving on a trip so that I can alter my route if a station is out of order ? What do you fella do ? Can you give me some tips to plan smarter? Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hello All;
I am about to plan a fairly long trip - Well longer than I usually take (Ie. 120 miles) and I am in the process of plotting my route to visit a charging station say every 40 miles along my route. I have at times visited a charging station that wasn't functioning. Since there is a lack of charging stations "Between" large cities in Ohio, I get nervous that one of the charging stations I plan to visit will be non-functioning when I get there. Is there any way to determine if a station is functioning prior to leaving on a trip so that I can alter my route if a station is out of order ? What do you fella do ? Can you give me some tips to plan smarter? Thanks.
What car do you have?

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
Not much you can do! If the trip is essential/time sensitive, borrow or hire a different car. If it doesn’t matter what time you arrive then take your granny lead and a packed lunch.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I always check the comments on PlugShare for chargers on route. Cheers

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
You posted in the Nissan forum so I assume you have a LEAF. That means you will be using Chademo for charrging on the go, which is good because it's typically the more reliabile connector.

As others have said already, make full use of Plugshare. Look at the ratings and recent comments by others, and wherever possible aim for locations that have more than one charger per site, and always make a plan B with another location nearby just in case you need to go elsewhere to get a charge.

Keep a buffer to prevent you running too low and getting stuck.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,498 Posts
Check Zapmap as well, if you are in UK. Ohio sounds American though.......

Unfortunately even in 2021, just 9 years away from UK's pure ICE sales ban, we still cannot rely on a EV without loads of planning and liable to queueing.

As I always say, EV cars are already excellent now, infrastructure is key. Even with just 80 miles range EV, I don't get range anxiety, I get charger anxiety! Buy a Tesla, it's the only way to avoid charger anxiety.

·
Registered
224 Posts
dont need to buy a tesla for the odd long trip - get a half decent petrol car - A mondeo in the UK would be fine - £2k with £500 per year for servicing and road tax and you are done.

I have done 40k in my leaf 40kwh but the stops every hour do my head in, so i am getting a proper car as it will go further and in more comfort and wont cost 40k plus.

that said i am not sure any of this is helping the OP with his question

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
478 Posts
Hello All;
You can get pills for anxiety ;).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts