Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Proud owner of a black Peugeot e208 GT, but for the life of me I can't find how to set the max charging to 80%... It always charges to 100% unless I keep an eye on it, but since I'm charging overnight it's hard to do that.
Looked everywhere on google, youtube, reddit etc and the customer support and dealer are no help either.
Since I'm planning to keep this little rocket for a while, I want to keep the battery in top condition.
It's running on the latest updates as firmware wise.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
An 80% limit is rare - I think the original Leaf had it, and Teslas, but that's about it.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,384 Posts
Ah so it does have a standard buffer? Nice, thanks guys :)
Yeah, what you trying to achieve isn't necessary on modern batteries. There is also a need to top up to 100% occasionally to allow the BMS (Battery Management System) to balance all the cells in the battery pack. This does more to keep the battery healthy than always charging to 80%.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Very much a case of learning all the time.

I've done 1100 miles in mine now. It came fully charged. Used my Pod Point at home twice now and one of those times it was fully charged as I cycled to work and left it on all day (Plus I could not terminate the charge via the Peugeot app, I've yet to work out if this is possible by the Pod Point app). At the moment my Pod Point is only putting out 3'5kWh.

But I always planned to put in 80% from home because I thought this was was the safe norm.

I haven't read anything in the promo blurb or reviews saying different (it's OK to charge to 100%).

I've also had a look in the manual but it doesn't mention this.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Yeah, what you trying to achieve isn't necessary on modern batteries.
Please stop repeating the same old ill informed wives tales. Nothing has changed in the cell chemistry in "modern batteries" in relation to the degradation effects of sitting at 100% charge. It's still not good for them, just like it has always been. For some reason EV drivers seem to keep buying the same old BS that some car manufacturers spout when they say there is no benefit to having a charge limit option. Instead of listening to the car manufacturers who don't offer a charge limit option justify their position, go and read a research paper on cell degradation and form your own conclusions.

Also, ask yourself one question - which brands of EV's have the longest lasting batteries ? Do they have adjustable charge limiters and even recommend their use ? (Answer, yes they do)
There is also a need to top up to 100% occasionally to allow the BMS (Battery Management System) to balance all the cells in the battery pack. This does more to keep the battery healthy than always charging to 80%.
You seem to be confused between cell degradation and cell balance, and lump them both under "battery health". Cell degradation is a permanent and irreversible loss of capacity of the cells (and often an increase in internal resistance) while cell balance is simply the current state of charge of all the cells relative to each other.

While it's true that a large cell SoC imbalance can temporarily limit the usable capacity of the battery until re-balanced, it would take a large imbalance over many dozens of charge cycles before even a negligible reduction in usable capacity was noticed, is not harmful to the battery at all, and completely reversible simply by letting the car complete a few 100% charge cycles. Unlike degradation which is permanent and irreversible.

So, no, regular balancing at 100% does not do more to keep the battery healthy than using a charge limiter - quite the opposite.

Also keep in mind that most EVs don't do any cell balancing during DC rapid charging - it's not feasible to balance during a rapid charge as the charge rate is too high relative to the bleeders in the balancing system and the charging duration too short to have any meaningful impact. (Level 2 charges typically spend 30-60 minutes at the end balancing without charging which does not happen on a rapid charge)

By your line of reasoning any EV that was charged largely or exclusively by rapid charging and never got to see a 100% Level 2 charge would have poor battery health due to being unable to balance the cells, but you don't see manufacturers warning people not to charge their car exclusively by rapid charging.

I agree that the occasional 100% charge to fine tune the balance is not a bad thing, but once a month or so should be adequate. Healthy cells shouldn't get out of balance in the first place.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Maybe you could get a granny charger with adjustable rate?

When you put it on charge, work out how fast to charge for it to be 80% at your departure time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'll never fully understand electrics/battery stuff. But if the car is charged by a home charger 7kWh or less, is this going to stress the battery or is this fine even if done repeatedly?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'll never fully understand electrics/battery stuff. But if the car is charged by a home charger 7kWh or less, is this going to stress the battery or is this fine even if done repeatedly?
  • Rapid charging is worse for the battery than slow charging.
  • Keeping a Li-Ion battery at 100% for extended periods is bad, and charging to 100% is worse than charging to less than 100%. However, what your car treats as "100%" is not actually 100% so it really isn't a big deal.
  • The primary reason for stopping rapid charging at ~80% is simply because it takes much longer beyond that point so isn't worth the effort in most cases.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,384 Posts
Please stop repeating the same old ill informed wives tales. Nothing has changed in the cell chemistry in "modern batteries" in relation to the degradation effects of sitting at 100% charge.
TLDR:

Wasn't talking about degradation whilst 'sitting' for a long period. Was talking about it's okay to charge to 100%. It's definitely an Old Wives Tale that you should never ever charge to 100%. It's okay with sensible usage. I charge my MG to 100% about twice a week, because I use that amount of juice in day to day running.

However, what your car treats as "100%" is not actually 100% so it really isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Wasn't talking about degradation whilst 'sitting' for a long period. Was talking about it's okay to charge to 100%. It's definitely an Old Wives Tale that you should never ever charge to 100%. It's okay with sensible usage. I charge my MG to 100% about twice a week, because I use that amount of juice in day to day running.
Absolutely.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm since my daily commutes are barely more then 20km I just stick with charging once a week and around 80% really hate driving without regen, feels like cruise control enabled and need to break all the time and creating a lot of brake dust on my rims :(
Still amazed on the amount of fast reactions and the amazing topics here! Really awesome community ❤ thank you fellow EV owners

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

Proud owner of a black Peugeot e208 GT, but for the life of me I can't find how to set the max charging to 80%... It always charges to 100% unless I keep an eye on it, but since I'm charging overnight it's hard to do that.
Looked everywhere on google, youtube, reddit etc and the customer support and dealer are no help either.
Since I'm planning to keep this little rocket for a while, I want to keep the battery in top condition.
It's running on the latest updates as firmware wise.

Thank you :)
I also got one. Great car.
I use the app to set the deferred charge time. Yeah noticed you can't set a shut off time or a max charge amount which is a shame. Maybe Peugot will change the app at some point. You could try to defer it to about 3 or 4am so it's not fully charged in the morning....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts