Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive the polemic, but I’ve had the creeping realisation that many others have surely worked out, namely that the UK charging infrastructure is currently not far off a shambles. And it really needs to change quickly given the exponential growth which EVs are about to see.

Big issues for me....

• profligacy of apps. I’m fed up of having to set up an app/account with every single charger I go to. Swarco’s appalling ‘give me all your bank details before you can charge’ is a case in point
  • lack of clarity of price at the point of charge
  • lack of live information about which chargers are actually available. Technically this would be very easy to achieve
  • shocking unreliability of chargers. I’d say I hit no more than 50% success rate without some form of intervention
  • multiple standards. E.g. Tesla type 2 which don’t support type 2, Gridserve replacing CCS/Chademo units with CCS only
  • lack of chargers. The half-term has shown what is around the corner. Big surge in leisure users and hardly a charging station free anywhere over the weekend
  • no proper tax records from providers making business tax claims very difficult
  • and swathes of the nation almost entirely lacking in chargers. E.g. Mid Wales, Cornwall

So, my question - if you were running things, how would you sort out this chaos?

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
993 Posts
Needs a bit of legislation. Not something our government is all that keen on.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
686 Posts
The government has started legislating. Or at least started making noises about legislation. It's gonna be a while though. Imagine trying to buy petrol in 1905...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Forgive the polemic, but I’ve had the creeping realisation that many others have surely worked out, namely that the UK charging infrastructure is currently not far off a shambles. And it really needs to change quickly given the exponential growth which EVs are about to see.

Big issues for me....

• profligacy of apps. I’m fed up of having to set up an app/account with every single charger I go to. Swarco’s appalling ‘give me all your bank details before you can charge’ is a case in point
  • lack of live information about which chargers are actually available. Technically this would be very easy to achieve
  • shocking unreliability of chargers. I’d say I hit no more than 50% success rate without some form of intervention
  • multiple standards. E.g. Tesla type 2 which don’t support type 2, Gridserve replacing CCS/Chademo units with CCS only
  • lack of chargers. The half-term has shown what is around the corner. Big surge in leisure users and hardly a charging station free anywhere over the weekend
  • no proper tax records from providers making business tax claims very difficult
  • and swathes of the nation almost entirely lacking in chargers. E.g. Mid Wales, Cornwall

So, my question - if you were running things, how would you sort out this chaos?
Just make petrol the same price as electricity and be done with this EV lark as it does not seems to be working out :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ironically I think the latest technology actually makes the whole situation worse.

The basic task of dispensing some electricity and receiving a payment is incredibly simple, you could do it with technology from the 1940s, it's basically a parking meter connected to a switch and a meter. Indeed if you were constructing EV chargers 70 years ago that exactly how you would do it, electro-mechanical coin mechanism with someone to visit it every few days, collect the coins, check the charger is working ok.

The problem is charging has been taken over by tech companies and early adopters who obsess about the latest payment methods, it needed delivering by the people and businesses which run vending and gumball machines, who spend their days maintaining coin mechanisms and collecting change,

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Running things? Is anybody actually running anything these days?

If I were in a position of sufficient power I'd think about making the car companies/importers install* an EV charge-point** for every x new vehicles (ICE or electric) they put onto the UK market - and pay an annual fee towards maintenance with SLA for a few years thereafter.
That might focus minds.

( * or sub it to another company like Gridserve, Polar, etc)
( ** or points ... eg. 1 DC rapid or 10-20 AC points.)

·
Registered
300 Posts
1. Mandatory chip&pin payment on all pumps.
2. Default to free vend if defective comms.
3. Impose a fine on the operator for every hour that the pump is out of service.
4. All pumps to be networked
5. One single app where the status of every pump is shown live.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Big issues for me....

3. Impose a fine on the operator for every hour that the pump is out of service.
yes I agree with all of those.

·
Super Moderator
7,576 Posts
All a snip at £2 per kWh !

Reactions: ChrisCross123

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
6. Same sequence of operation ( plug in, pay*, go).
*Delete this step when plug & charge gets implemented.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I live in Portugal and this is how they do it here.

Assuming that you have an electricity account for your home, you get a mobi.e car from your electricity supplier. Regardless of who operates a particular charging point, you can access it using this RFID card. Your charging power usage is then added to your electricity bill which you pay in the normal way.

There is an associated mobi.e app and website which you can use to find charging points. Or your satnav can find them.

This website explains how it works

The UK system (or lack of one) seems lunatic in comparison.

·
Registered
BMW i3
453 Posts
I don’t use public chargers that much, live in the south of England and maybe I’ve been lucky but I don’t think it’s that bad now.

Set Zap-Map filters to Osprey and Instavolt, check the comments, have a plan B and carry a Shell/ ChargePoint RFID card for emergencies.

Once the GridServe EcoT replacements are done that’ll also improve things beyond recognition, let alone the additional chargers at MSAs.

All of the above take contactless if you don’t want apps, are reasonably priced and hopefully Gridserve are as reliable as Osprey/ Instavolt, certainly looks like they’re taking it seriously.

I’ve only got an i3 with 28kWh or so, if I was in an ID.3 58/Kona 64 etc it’d be even less of a concern.

Having said the above it is madness that not all rapid chargers have contactless by now, I’d absolutely insist on that and as EVs become more prevalent real time info on charger status etc should be readily available.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don’t use public chargers that much, live in the south of England and maybe I’ve been lucky but I don’t think it’s that bad now.

Set Zap-Map filters to Osprey and Instavolt, check the comments, have a plan B and carry a Shell/ ChargePoint RFID card for emergencies.

Once the GridServe EcoT replacements are done that’ll also improve things beyond recognition, let alone the additional chargers at MSAs.

All of the above take contactless if you don’t want apps, are reasonably priced and hopefully Gridserve are as reliable as Osprey/ Instavolt, certainly looks like they’re taking it seriously.

I’ve only got an i3 with 28kWh or so, if I was in an ID.3 58/Kona 64 etc it’d be even less of a concern.

Having said the above it is madness that not all rapid chargers have contactless by now, I’d absolutely insist on that and as EVs become more prevalent real time info on charger status etc should be readily available.
One problem with gridserve for me - Chademo

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,913 Posts
Just make petrol the same price as electricity and be done with this EV lark as it does not seems to be working out :ROFLMAO:
Bing it on so I can buy another 3.2L V6 Alfa Brera. Fantastic all wheel drive 260bhp coupe but thirsty and VED is £60/month.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,913 Posts
Its also about poor charging etiquette..
You've overlooked the overstay penalty and just as importantly, parking fine for ICE'd EV bays or EVs not plugged in. (some morons think the sign means EVs MUST park in the bays even when not wanting to charge)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Bing it on so I can buy another 3.2L V6 Alfa Brera. Fantastic all wheel drive 260bhp coupe but thirsty and VED is £60/month.
Lol, sounds brilliant. My only huge engined car was my old petrol Landrover 109. Even now people comment how amazing it sounded. Low teens to the gallon 🤣

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,913 Posts
Lol, sounds brilliant. My only huge engined car was my old petrol Landrover 109. Even now people comment how amazing it sounded. Low teens to the gallon 🤣
It sounded fantastic: I did a video with a Vortex exhaust fitted.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts