Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Bing it on so I can buy another 3.2L V6 Alfa Brera. Fantastic all wheel drive 260bhp coupe but thirsty and VED is £60/month.
A colleague of mine has a Brera, lovely car. But after his last Alfa caught fire, you'd think he'd learn, but that's Alfisti for you.

Hmm. An almost slavish devotion to a car marque, a willingness to overlook all faults and a burning passion to fall upon critics like a wolf on fold. Reminds me of something. If only I could put my finger on it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Its also about poor charging etiquette..
You've overlooked the overstay penalty and just as importantly, parking fine for ICE'd EV bays or EVs not plugged in. (some morons think the sign means EVs MUST park in the bays even when not wanting to charge)
The OP's question was I think more relating to payment, but yes, etiquette leaves something to be desired.

My further wish list of 'ideals' are...
1. ANPR on pumps to identify and fine non-Ev's parked in the bay and Ev's parked-up not plugged-in.
2. Charging cost continues until the plug is returned and secured back to the holder on the pump. ( Often found dumped on the floor)
3. Charging plug is locked in the holder until charge is authenticated via contactless, rfid or app ( encouraging the return o the plug to the holder)
4. Idling fees if car remains plugged-in once charge completed.
5. Limiting charge time at busy times of day/busy venues.
6. Overhead swivel arm so the charge cable will accommodate any charge port on any car.
7. Voice announced operating instructions from the chargepoint, as are often found at fossil fuel pumps. (One forward thinking company is already implementing this.)

Reactions: evbuyer2020

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's encouraging to see this forward thinking British companies plan for EV owners who cannot charge at home.

Some unique features on their pumps too, such as voice Instructions and dual computers to provide redundancy.

Reactions: AnotherJoe

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,347 Posts
The OP's question was I think more relating to payment, but yes, etiquette leaves something to be desired.

My further wish list of 'ideals' are...
1. ANPR on pumps to identify and fine non-Ev's parked in the bay and Ev's parked-up not plugged-in.
2. Charging cost continues until the plug is returned and secured back to the holder on the pump. ( Often found dumped on the floor)
3. Charging plug is locked in the holder until charge is authenticated via contactless, rfid or app ( encouraging the return o the plug to the holder)
4. Idling fees if car remains plugged-in once charge completed.
5. Limiting charge time at busy times of day/busy venues.
6. Overhead swivel arm so the charge cable will accommodate any charge port on any car.
7. Voice announced operating instructions from the chargepoint, as are often found at fossil fuel pumps. (One forward thinking company is already implementing this.)

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,377 Posts
Just out of interest, where exactly is this "exponential growth" in EV ownership going to come from ?
I think the company car/fleet market still drives sales here in the UK.

I’m sure I read somewhere that over half of all UK cars have a company/fleet registered keeper?

The company car BIK taxation changes have started to drive an uptick in EVs for the company car user/chooser.

I think short term availability is still an issue due to the Pandemic impacts and semi-conductor shortages, but I think it’s clear that EV sales are only going one way now.

·
Registered
588 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I think if nothing else, that article shows that there is growth in electrically assisted cars, but I wouldn't go as far as to say the growth of full BEVs was "exponential", and certainly no need to panic about the charging infrastructure yet !! I am interested though in the fact that the new "pricing" of vehicles thanks to electrification appears to be accepted by the buyers; even PHEVs have very high initial purchase costs as well as the full BEV, not that in reality the buyers have any choice but to accept those prices - but what it means for the second/third hand market further down the line is anyones guess ?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,347 Posts
My guess is that the used car market will be very buoyant for both ICE and EVs the closer we are to 2030.

Ice preowned sales to those who refuse to or cannot afford to go electric unless the gov introduce penalties on the sale of used ICEs, eg £1000pa minimum VED and higher fuel duty, BIK taxes etc or incentives such as scrappage schemes.

EV preowned sales to those that want to ditch their ICE but cannot afford a new EV.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,377 Posts
but I wouldn't go as far as to say the growth of full BEVs was "exponential",
Pure BEV sales are doubling in an ever shorter time period, so I’d say that’s exponential, but no they’re not taking off like Covid or anything…

Last year was an odd one, for obvious reasons, but BEVs are outselling PHEVs this year and there were 14k+ BEV registrations in May 21 alone.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
One problem with gridserve for me - Chademo
From what Ive read they are rolling out Chademo on their new chargers. WHy do you think they arent?
IIRC there was one location where they put CCS only in on two new chargers but they stated that was temporary, with Chademo coming, but many saw the initial report and think thats the end of the story..
Most of the new sites ive read up on have soemthing like 1/3 Chademo, for example Rugby, 1/3 surely is ample considering its a dying standard with no new Chademo cars being sold.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Yes, but "chip&pin"?
Agreed, no need for chip and pin
you’d still need a mobile signal for the authorisation by the unit though. I’m sure given time, more units will get wired data connections along with the power.
Not necessarily with credit/debit card payment.

Chip and pin transactions can be online or "offline". Offline payments usually have a limit of £99 - the card machine verifies your pin without need of a connection to any back office then processes a transaction with the card. This transacation is stored in the chip and pin machine and "uploaded" next time it has access to back office connection.

This is how ticket collectors can take a payment from you on a train going through an underground tunnel where there is no data coverage. Not all cards support offline transactions, but most do these days.

Having said that I'm not entirely sure if contactless also supports offline payments or only chip and pin use of the card. If the latter it would be a good reason for contactless readers on chargers to also support chip and pin as a backup as it could potentially then support offline transactions as well.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,498 Posts
Whilst contactless is as good as we can expect at present, eventually it may have to go the 'Tesla' route and use the car's VIN, via the connection handshake, as authority to start a charge session and bill the keeper. Thrashing around trying to cobble together systems may just be putting off the day when this has to be implemented. It may only be possible on new cars and very difficult to retrofit but the sooner it's started the sooner we can put this access/payment issue to bed and join what has been normal for Tesla owners for many years.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,347 Posts
Whilst contactless is as good as we can expect at present, eventually it may have to go the 'Tesla' route and use the car's VIN, via the connection handshake, as authority to start a charge session and bill the keeper. Thrashing around trying to cobble together systems may just be putting off the day when this has to be implemented. It may only be possible on new cars and very difficult to retrofit but the sooner it's started the sooner we can put this access/payment issue to bed and join what has been normal for Tesla owners for many years.
Do Tesla chargers also have an NPR camera?
What's to stop a dodgy EV owner taking a photo of the vin on another EV and using this?
The vin is visible in the corner of the front windscreen.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Err it is done electronically via the handshake with the Supercharger, there is no option or nothing manually input just plug car in.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,414 Posts
Just about anybody can accept contacless payment these days. It's not that special that it can't be made to work with all EV chargers.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,347 Posts
Just about anybody can accept contacless payment these days. It's not that special that it can't be made to work with all EV chargers.
In theory, yes. But what happens when there is no mobile signal at all as is the case in some charger locations in Scotland? The charger would never be able to upload payment details to the server even if it could validate them itself.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
In theory, yes. But what happens when there is no mobile signal at all as is the case in some charger locations in Scotland? The charger would never be able to upload payment details to the server even if it could validate them itself.
Seriously, do they really install chargers where there is no mobile signal? That would be kinda stupid, lol. Pretty impossible not to have a mobile signal these days unless using something cappy like the three network.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,347 Posts
Seriously, do they really install chargers where there is no mobile signal? That would be kinda stupid, lol. Pretty impossible not to have a mobile signal these days unless using something cappy like the three network.
I'm sure I read that the Crianlarich charger was on free vend due to no signal.

Highland charger location is probably more about power supply availability than mobile signal.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts