Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,498 Posts
In theory, yes. But what happens when there is no mobile signal at all as is the case in some charger locations in Scotland? The charger would never be able to upload payment details to the server even if it could validate them itself.
Have they removed all landlines in Scotland?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,377 Posts
In the Highland's remoter areas, finding a suitable power supply AND there being either a landline or a phone signal is probably not as easy as you think.
The Extended Area Service part of the Emergency Services Network (Police/Fire etc) which runs on the EE network is taking care of that.

The network is/will be available for Commercial use, and already allows for public 999 calls in those remote areas, for instance. The coverage is there, just not publicly accessible.

Besides, we won’t really be installing Rapid charging in the ‘middle of nowhere’ will we? Just like fuel stations, they’ll always be near even small population centres who will have the required power infrastructure for one thing.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,498 Posts
In the Highland's remoter areas, finding a suitable power supply AND there being either a landline or a phone signal is probably not as easy as you think.
Which explains why that particular spot doesn't need a Rapid. It would be like building a Costa and McDonald's there. Pointless and commercial suicide.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,347 Posts
Can anyone explain why there are many CPS chargers scattered about in random locations, greyed - = 'status unknown'?
Could it be there is no network connection..........

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,377 Posts
Can anyone explain why there are many CPS chargers scattered about in random locations, greyed - = 'status unknown'?
Could it be there is no network connection..........
What kind of organisation would install a bunch of chargers that depend on a network connection to be useful, in areas with patchy or no network signal?

There is no technical reason why network issues can’t be overcome, just organisations unwilling to implement them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wonder what is going to happen in 3 yrs. When there will be a massive influx of 2nd hand, ex lease cars. I feel it will be this that will bring down prices that the general population will be willing to pay. Thus, further increasing the % BEVs on the road. I'm sure ex leasees will ask for another BEV too. Win / WIN for most.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,347 Posts
I wonder what is going to happen in 3 yrs. When there will be a massive influx of 2nd hand, ex lease cars. I feel it will be this that will bring down prices that the general population will be willing to pay. Thus, further increasing the % BEVs on the road. I'm sure ex leasees will ask for another BEV too. Win / WIN for most.
I'm not so sure and hope they stay buoyant as my PCP is up in 2024.

The pressure to move to an EV, and early adopters wanting a newer model will keep prices high.
Remember that the vast majority of drivers cannot afford a new EV, especially if they need a good range.

ICE owners, on the other hand, can expect their residuals to plummet.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,414 Posts
In theory, yes. But what happens when there is no mobile signal at all as is the case in some charger locations in Scotland? The charger would never be able to upload payment details to the server even if it could validate them itself.
Put the charger somewhere else. Almost any system in very out of the way places would have problems. It is really for the charge providers to work on a solution.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Reactions: mikegs

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,347 Posts
Here is a typical example of the charger shambles.

Not encouraging for those considering transitioning into EV ownership is it!

These cases, like the Scottish CPS shambles need to be publicised as much as possible to embarrass the government into doing something and force them to live up to their promises.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Considering the number of charge fails, I suspect this says more about the poor design of the CCS standard, meaning every vehicle & charger combination needs testing for compatibility and appropriate tweaks applied to make them all work.
If the chargers in question generally work with most other cars, then the blame is on the bus manufacturer for failing to do enough testing to ensure compatibility.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
If the chargers in question generally work with most other cars, then the blame is on the bus manufacturer for failing to do enough testing to ensure compatibility.
From the article [my embolding]: "We have identified an immediate issue in that only one in 10 charging points charges our coach, and met many EV owners at each stop with the same frustrations."

Per the thread title - shambles.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts