Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'd be grateful for some advice as I strongly suspect we've been sold a 2015 24kw Leaf Tekna with a 3.3 Kwh charger when it was advertised as having a 6.6 charger. This was listed in the advert title, no less, making sure it would catch attention. The dealer that supplied it shall remain nameless (for now, subject to any 'no naming and shaming' rules on this forum), but was a Nissan main agent who should obviously know better.

We bought the car while under lockdown. It was both far away from us and travelling to view a second hand car was not something permitted under the regulations at the time, therefore we elected to buy an approved used vehicle from a Nissan main agent on the basis of the video walk around. We (wrongly) assumed that this was a guarantee of getting a good car, but certainly a car that wasn't misrepresented in any way. The car looked good in the video, we liked the mileage and spec, in particular the fact that it had a 6.6 charger, as we planned to do all our charging at home.

I'll spare you a blow by blow account, suffice to say the sale and delivery process was most unsatisfactory, the car was not well presented and came with virtually no paperwork and only a single key fob. Two months after paying for it, we are supposedly still waiting for the postman to deliver the second key and service book, which I doubt we'll ever see as I don't think they actually exist and are a figment of the salesperson's imagination. The supplying dealer has, to date, also failed to set up a used car warranty with Nissan GB which is another key reason why we elected to by a Nissan approved used vehicle.

Obviously we are now in dispute with the dealer and the absence of the 6.6 charger is one of our biggest gripes, as it makes the car far less useful than we anticipated. Only yesterday I took the car for a minor service with a Nissan dealer local to us (since the supplying dealer was unable to provide any service history or confirm even when the last service was - in the absence of both they should have supplied it freshly serviced as a minimum) and asked them to confirm which charger our car has fitted. The workshop wasn't able to categorically state either way and the service staff were also unable to advise how we could tell. Most disappointing as I had hoped by now to be in possession of undisputed information as to the car's spec. I'd have thought a Nissan dealer could bring up the exact spec of any UK supplied Nissan on the basis of the chassis number. The charging time states a single line on the dash and doesn't reference 3.3 or 6.6, which I understand indicated that we only have a 3.3 charger. The charging time indicated would also suggest a 3.3 charger.

I'd be most grateful for some expertise on how I can 'document' what charger the car has fitted, in a legally watertight way, beyond merely the single vs. double charge time on the dashboard display. Are there any metal plates, marks, code numbers, anything at all that categorically allows us to prove to the supplying dealer and Nissan GB that our car, sold as having a 6.6 charger, only has a 3.3 charger?

Thanks every so much, your help is really appreciated. It's been so stressful so far that some reliable expertise from people on 'our side' would make us incredibly thankful. After this experience, I'll never buy a car unseen again, but also will never buy a manufacturer 'approved used' car as a main agent is clearly no guarantee of good service, nor will the car be necessarily any better than buying one from my neighbour, despite all the soothing platitudes in the marketing materials.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Alternatively there is also a plate on the (as you look at it) left hand side of the AC DC inverter housing see the attached pic for the location. There is no arguing with that !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fantastic, thanks for the responses! I was aware of the trip computer thing, but in my car it doesn't say anything about Kwh, it just gives a time to charge, end of. Single line. Hence why I thought it must be 3.3.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Fantastic, thanks for the responses! I was aware of the trip computer thing, but in my car it doesn't say anything about Kwh, it just gives a time to charge, end of. Single line. Hence why I thought it must be 3.3.
You are probably right that it is a 3.3.
However I have driven a Leaf for 7 years and have never missed having the 6.6 kw charger. I cannot think when it would have made any difference. If you happen to have solar panels it can be an advantage because solar panels on a sunny day will produce just about enough electricity to charge at 3.3 kw.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whatever it is, we're stuck with it now, unless we sell the car, which we don't want to do. I agree it's not the end of the world, but I bought a car with a 6.6 charger. The fact it doesn't have one is a material difference from the stated specification, therefore we expect cash compensation for the difference in value. What value premium would you estimate a 6.6 charger car carries? I see they were an £1150 option when new, which is a pretty expensive optional extra we are supposed to have, but don't.

·
Registered
2017 Flame Red Leaf 30 Acenta
269 Posts
Taking everything you've said at face value, your treatment by them has been appalling. If it was advertized as a 6.6 KW charge model in the title, then I think you may have the right to reject the car (though mostly as leverage), though you'd need some evidence of the advert and to confirm that it isnt described on any other later formal docs (eg contract) as a 3.3kw.

I am no expert, so I cant provide definitive advice, though I wish I could, given your treatment, however Rejecting a car – your consumer rights | The Car Expert gives some advice and that was just the first page that I found when I googled "car bought from dealer not as advertised"

Fingers crossed for you. I would say that like you I was totally not bothered about the 6.6Kw when I was buying a few weeks ago and just got lucky when I found the perfect car that happened to have a 6.6Kw charger; I certainly didnt pay extra. However I do now find that it is a thing of beauty when you can rock up at your local Tesco or Sainsburys or even out of town mall for an hours shop and you score 7Kw of free charge :cool:

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
841 Posts
Dont worry 3.3kw is more than enough, its More beneficial to switch to a cheap electric supplier such as octopus. To put the difference into perspective, even at a standard rate of 15p that extra 3kw is only worth 45p!!!

If you charge overnight on a cheap tariff then it’s only worth 15p for the 3k!

It depends if you spend hours at the supermarket regular then it’s worth it, I only go once a week if that, so makes no difference to me.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
841 Posts
Oh and @Scorzon the other half works in midhurst so I’ll be over to steal all your electricity from your Tesco next time I’m there! Tee heeee none Left for you! 🤪😱🤣😇😘;):devilish:

·
Registered
2017 Flame Red Leaf 30 Acenta
269 Posts
Oh and @Scorzon the other half works in midhurst so I’ll be over to steal all your electricity from your Tesco next time I’m there! Tee heeee none Left for you! 🤪😱🤣😇😘;):devilish:
We're building the barricades as I type....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think there are certain use patterns for these cars for when a 6.6 charger is essential and therefore a savvy buyer won't buy one without it. For example, if you have to commute 50 miles to work and recharge when you're there on a wall box, you would need the assurance that your car will be charged to 100% by 5pm. I don't think a 3.3 charger or an EVSE would offer this. What about if there are more electric cars than chargers and colleagues are expected to hand over the charger at lunchtime? You can see how the absence of a 6.6 could get messy. I have a friend that uses his Leaf for a lengthy school run, obviously it's twice a day and there isn't all that much time between the morning and afternoon runs, so a 6.6 charger is essential for him too. While most buyers wouldn't care about what capacity the on board charger has, there are some for whom only a 6.6 cuts the mustard and therefore it's logical that these cars should be worth more in the second hand market. I'm just not sure how much more.

To draw an analogy, it's like buying a 2.0 Tdi Mondeo from a Ford dealer, only to discover the car supplied actually has a 1.8. The latter engine is sufficient and will get me everywhere I want to go, but it's simply not worth as much as the 2.0 models and therefore there is a cash difference at purchase time.

I don't want to reject the car, although I appreciate this can be used as leverage, but do want a cash payment to reflect the difference in specification between that purchased and that delivered. You may never go diving, but if it transpires your watch can only go to 20m, rather than the 80m the spec sheet trumpets, that's not right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts