Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way of telling what charger a Nissan leaf 2013 onwards has on board without just taking someone's opinion as gospel...
Is there any indication or anything on the car or set up screens ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
ask them to show you the cable it came with, the 6.6kw comes with a type 2 and the 3.3 with the 13amp EVSE
Your quote is true but it's not 100% reliable as it has been known for the cables to be swapped\changed, especially the expensive £500 EVSE brick removed and replaced with a T2-T1 cable.
I would go with Paul's factory method that shows the charge time remaining screen showing both the 3.3kw and 6.6kw. If it's fitted with the 3.3kw only then only that option is shown in the display.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Paul
That was the only way I thought you could tell ,
So there is no physical tag or difference ??

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
this is true enough, although I have a 6.6wk demonstrator I have changed the lead to a 13amp as potential customers trying the car on extended test drive will most likely have a type 2 connector at home.
Should this be not have a type 2 connector at home?

This is why Nissan's cable supply logic is flawed, you ideally need both as part of your charge kit. There are 1000s of Type 2 posts that you can use and many also along with free parking, many also still have the early 3 pin plug option.

This comment I'm going to make is controversial but for health and safety reasons needs to be made to customers. The 3 pin EVSE is technically designed for the dedicated posts and not for use from a household domestic socket, unless you have had a dedicated fused option installed (just like your shower). As it constantly draws 10 amps over a long period, the household ring main wiring it's plugged into may have other devices drawing current thus 'could' cause the cables to overheat and 'potentially' a fire caused, therefore care and observation should be taken as it's an unknown factor as to the properties electrical wiring age and status.

Reactions: GregH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your quote is true but it's not 100% reliable as it has been known for the cables to be swapped\changed, especially the expensive £500 EVSE brick removed and replaced with a T2-T1 cable.
I would go with Paul's factory method that shows the charge time remaining screen showing both the 3.3kw and 6.6kw. If it's fitted with the 3.3kw only then only that option is shown in the display.
Lovely...thanks for this little top tip!

·
Registered
113 Posts
A bit of a late entry to the conversation, but I picked up my 'new' (ex demo) leaf from my local dealer a couple of days ago. It was sold to me as a 3.3kw, but had the two entries on the charging time screen, so I asked them whether it was 3.3 or 6.6. They swore it was a 3.3 - all the documentation said so, apparently.

I had to take it in for them to update Carwings this morning, so I asked again when I was there, and (eventually - it was well hidden), we found the plate on the 'power delivery model' (the big silver thing) that seems to confirm it is a 6.6kw. It was tucked under the attaching fasteners on the left hand side as you look at the car (down from the blue arrow in the attached PDF).

Have attached a photo of the plate too - pretty much the only way I could see it!

Attachments

·
Likes talking about cars
789 Posts
That's a nice surprise Cath, I had the opposite happen (sold as 6.6kW only actually had 3.6kW).

Quite worrying that Dealers don't know what they are selling.

·
Registered
113 Posts
No chance, Paul !!! ;)

Now, should I go back to the dealer and ask them for the missing charging cable cos I only got the EVSE ;)

·
Registered
705 Posts
No chance, Paul !!! ;)

Now, should I go back to the dealer and ask them for the missing charging cable cos I only got the EVSE ;)
I wouldn't risk them wanting that back. The normal 13amp plug one is expensive £450 or so, the other one is around £100.
What sort of home charger do you have? The 6.6 is good to have but as I understand it you need the 32amp charge station to benefit from it.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
What sort of home charger do you have? The 6.6 is good to have but as I understand it you need the 32amp charge station to benefit from it.
Or most public charge points will do 7kW, and that's more likely to be when you'd prefer a faster charge time - when you're out and about; most of the time when you're at home, the car is parked up for many hours.

I have a 7kW charger at home, and sometimes wished it had a dial to turn it down a bit - or automatically adjust for sunshine levels so I can make the most out of my PV array on the roof.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reading this thread has got me thinking as I was sold a Leaf with a 3.3kW yet my display shows both (which I thought was just Nissan's way of rubbing my nose in it).

I cannot see the label that Cath has mentioned so I will just have to buy a fast charger cable and test it out for myself.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Reading this thread has got me thinking as I was sold a Leaf with a 3.3kW yet my display shows both (which I thought was just Nissan's way of rubbing my nose in it).

I cannot see the label that Cath has mentioned so I will just have to buy a fast charger cable and test it out for myself.
If you plug your leaf into a 7kW capable outlet, then your 'time to charge' display will only display the estimated time next to the charge rate in use
I also once drove a leaf (demonstrator) that the dealer assured me was only 3.3kW capable, but had the better charger, all the paperwork they had said 3.3kW, but when they actually checked with Nissan about the actual build specs as it left the factory, it was correct.
This goes to prove that there's still a lot of re-keying of data in the new car supply chain.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts