Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Struggling to follow the logic of this thread now. So a car can show both charging times but only have a 3.3kw charger? Why/how would the car determine the time for a 6.6kw charger when it didn't have one installed?

Are we saying the software is completely independent of the hardware and they've just got the wrong software version / configuration loaded up?

And if so, is it conceivable that a car could have a 6.6kw charger on board but only show a 3.3kw finish time?

And I thought BMW software was a hoot!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think its more likely that Kerry was wrong.

If it shows two times then its the 6kw charger.
I can understand people getting confused though - there are a lot of home chargers which are only 16amp/3kw. And there are cables which are only 16amp/3kw. To get charging at 32amp/6kw you need to have the car, the cable and the charger all rated for 6kw.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
That was my original working assumption.

So I'm getting a 32amp tethered Type 1 charger installed to offer some future proofing (Type 1 lead and plug may need to change in future of course!)

I know that the car has a Type 2 - Type 1 EVSE cable and granny charger in the boot.

I guess I'll just take the advice of a previous poster and plug the thing in and see whether it pulls 3.6kw or 6.6kw. I couldn't find the aforementioned sticker under the bonnet so no help there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have a 2013 nissan leaf. I recently got a 32 amp 240v charger for level 2 charging at home. Plugged it in and its only reading 14.7 ish amps delivered to the car. I looked at that plate and sure enough on the side of it. input is 100-240v for 3.6kva. If you do the math that means my car will only charge at about 14 amps no matter what I do. ALSO I have TWO times listed on my car. One time for 120v and one time for 240v, BUT my car will still only max out at around 3.3Kw of charging at around 14 amps.

Im in North America as well.

SUCKS

·
Super Moderator
Using public transportation
12,629 Posts
Your LEAF must be a North American version. UK/EU LEAF with 16A on-board only have one time since there aren't 120V plugs to charge from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your LEAF must be a North American version. UK/EU LEAF with 16A on-board only have one time since there aren't 120V plugs to charge from.
Forgot to put that info in there, yes I am from North America. Sorry for not clarifying that earlier.

Considering how slow the level 2 charging is since it can only hit 14.5-ish amps I may be looking to folow Dala in doing a Chademo upgrade since those have better level 2 charging as well.

·
Super Moderator
Using public transportation
12,629 Posts
~15A at 240V is more than enough to recharge at 24kWh LEAF overnight. I wouldn't put too much money into a 2013 LEAF. At some point it going to be cheaper to get a newer one with 30A on-board.

Reactions: Taeleus
61 - 67 of 67 Posts