Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Struggling to follow the logic of this thread now. So a car can show both charging times but only have a 3.3kw charger? Why/how would the car determine the time for a 6.6kw charger when it didn't have one installed?

Are we saying the software is completely independent of the hardware and they've just got the wrong software version / configuration loaded up?

And if so, is it conceivable that a car could have a 6.6kw charger on board but only show a 3.3kw finish time?

And I thought BMW software was a hoot!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think its more likely that Kerry was wrong.

If it shows two times then its the 6kw charger.
I can understand people getting confused though - there are a lot of home chargers which are only 16amp/3kw. And there are cables which are only 16amp/3kw. To get charging at 32amp/6kw you need to have the car, the cable and the charger all rated for 6kw.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
That was my original working assumption.

So I'm getting a 32amp tethered Type 1 charger installed to offer some future proofing (Type 1 lead and plug may need to change in future of course!)

I know that the car has a Type 2 - Type 1 EVSE cable and granny charger in the boot.

I guess I'll just take the advice of a previous poster and plug the thing in and see whether it pulls 3.6kw or 6.6kw. I couldn't find the aforementioned sticker under the bonnet so no help there.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts