Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Tesla Model S 70
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - my 2015 Model S 70 seems to drop internet radio often enough so I am wondering if it's just because I am somewhat rural, or because it does not have 4g LTE

I was thinking of buying this upgrade:

and it says:

"....All cars as of June 2015 for North America include the new 4G LTE hardware. Some cars a few weeks before June 2015 may also have 4G LTE. ...."

My question is if anyone knows of a clear way I can check for sure whether I already have this hardware.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm yet to know of a way (other than if it says LTE it has it, which isn't reliable to say that it hasn't if you don't see it) and I'd like to think I'd know if there was. So following in case there is a magic way. I can't even find a manufacturing code that reliably points to it, the nearest is ZCST but that started to appear with March built cars that year so unlikely

You can put the vin into here and it will tell you the rough factory departure date which might help match against the dates quoted above. UK cars back then spent almost 3 months to get here so even Oct registered cars could miss the LTE update (like my first car), you need to go off build date more than registration date.

·
Registered
2015 Tesla Model S 70
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm yet to know of a way (other than if it says LTE it has it, which isn't reliable to say that it hasn't if you don't see it) and I'd like to think I'd know if there was. So following in case there is a magic way. I can't even find a manufacturing code that reliably points to it, the nearest is ZCST but that started to appear with March built cars that year so unlikely

You can put the vin into here and it will tell you the rough factory departure date which might help match against the dates quoted above. UK cars back then spent almost 3 months to get here so even Oct registered cars could miss the LTE update (like my first car), you need to go off build date more than registration date.

Thanks, that worked. The link you referenced didn't have my vin but gave a good idea it was shipped in December. This jibes with the LTE showing up on the dashboard. That may sound completely obvious (that I should just look at the dashboard) but I was holding out hope I could get an improvement that would allow me to bring in internet radio stations with far fewer drops. Well, no big deal, but good to confirm that it wasn't just me. One might say that the information is clearly stated (if it says LTE or not on the dashboard) but it sounds like even if it's not displayed there, in reality, there might still be some doubt. So, perhaps it would be good to just display it in some other settings/specs.

There are many things I can and do criticize about it, but overall, net sum, I'm particularly liking my first Tesla experience. It's a bit hard sometimes to tell with confidence how much of my enjoyment is that there is still virtually no competition yet in the US in my desired price/segment (i.e.: Tesla is in a seller's market, almost in a vaccuum, for a buyer like me), but at least some of it is that they simply objectively executed very well and I'm glad of it.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I think the problem is (maybe I’m stating the obvious) it will only show LTE if it’s got an LTE signal, otherwise even an LTE capable car will be using something slower like 3G or worse, and give you the same problems of poor Spotify or internet radio, and it shows what the reception is at the top of the screen. If your mobile phone can get 4g I image the car should too, at least some of the time. I think you might be right in the cusp of the change though.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts
I suspect LTE is pretty patchy even in the best parts of the US.

It's also limited by the back-haul capacity and throttling.

One of the reasons why it was always better to run Spotify or other apps from the phone that had a larger cache.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 2015 MS was 3g. I had a replacement MCU (still AP1) when it failed. The new one shows LTE in the corner of the screen now.

BTW the map refresh etc does not feel any faster. I think it is limited by processing speed not bandwidth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts