Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

GF is going to buy a used 2015 i3 tomorrow. I've been watching some videos on it. There is a picture on Auto Trader of a CCS socket, which I assumed meant it rapid charges. However looking at this video, the guy says you actually have to open the charge door and check it has the two extra prongs. (2 minutes 30 secs)

They wouldn't fit a CCS socket without the DC prongs, would they?

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
A key point to check is for splits in the front suspension gaiters. If advanced it is an MOT fail. The replacement gaiters are a better grade and the problem does not repeat. The job is mechanical so can be done by any good garage at much lower cost than at a BMW dealer. Ask if the gaiters have been done and if there is no proof allow about £200 to have the job done at an independent garage.

If you can consider a 2016 or newer i3 they are much more reliable. That said I have a friend with an early one which he has owned from new and once sorted under warranty it has proved very reliable to this day. Service history is critical when considering an early one, so you can see if any of the major expensive problems have been rectified in the past . Without a good service history I would walk away. The history will be known if the work was done by a BMW dealer but you need a BMW dealer to be able to access it.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Thanks Mr G. Very informative.
Here to help. I have a 2016 94Ah REx which I bought 2 years ago. The only problem I have had with it was the replacement gaiters (very common) which I just managed to get done under warranty by a BMW dealer. BMW dealers will not admit it is a common problem but they know it is, and sometimes the job is done free of charge once they know that BMW will cover the bill for them. However with an older car they might not want to be bothered with getting BMW to refund the cost and try and get the customer to pay claiming it is fair wear and tear for an older vehicle.

If you can go for a 94Ah instead of a 60Ah it makes a huge difference. I bought a base model with no options and that make quite a difference to the purchase price. The basic car has all you need less the rather mean small centre display, which does not bother me but is a No No for some.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe it was only in 2014 that the DC charging was optional. It started becoming standard equipment on all other ones so you can confirm that way. But yes, the DC charge port will have a secondary bottom "cap" on the plug to pull out. Like an upside down T shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts