Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of switching to Octopus Go. Is there an easy way to get the car to charge only between 12.30 and 4.30am? I have a Zappi charger connected to a myenergi hub.

Thanks

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am sure there is the ability to program Zappi but leaving that aside I would set the car to start charging at 00:30 and your target SoC. A home charger will add typically about 7 kW each hour (about 15% SoC on a SR+).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Easier than you think, on the myenergi app I set it to eco++ and then scroll down to boost and select scheduled. Tap the plus button at set it from 00:30 duration 4 hours ok it, your done! 😊. The boost setting goes into fast mode too gaining all that lovely 5p an hour.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I tried a few third party apps but found them unreliable or annoying for scheduling charging.

My solution is as follows:

1. Use the car's "scheduled start time" feature to set a 0.30am start time.
  2. Work out how much energy your car can consume in the 4hr off-peak period
    1. This will depend on your battery capacity and charging speed
    2. Performance M3 at 10A is about 10% every 4hrs
  3. Set your car max charge limit to the current battery percentage + 10% (or whatever your % is)
In addition to the above, I have a "Remote for Tesla" app automation set up using iPhone shortcuts to stop charging at 4.30am. The combination of these two approaches has only resulted in me going into standard rate electric once.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Depends how technical you want to get. A few things have changed over time, Tesla introduced a wake car command whereas just firing a ‘stop charging’ command at the car doesn’t seem to wake the car if it was asleep, as a result a lot of the apps can be hit and miss, working fine when the car is awake, failing when not. Tesla have also introduced a captcha when getting a token which makes generating one harder.

Fir my own purposes I pretty much solved both problems but others can use them. I don’t keep your details making it as secure as I can, you can use your own token or I can create one, and ive a simple api (basically a web page url) that can be called from anywhere or from a app,e shortcut which handles the wake up as well as command. And it’s free

·
Registered
402 Posts
Zappi in eco++
Scheduled boost set to 00:30-04:30 Monday-Sunday
Plug in whenever you need a top up and it’ll only charge during those off peak hours. You’ll get around 25-26kwh so on my tesla SR+ that’s about 50% charge

if you need more you can go to the myenergi app and switch to fast to charge immediately (also can do that on the charger control panel directly)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Plus if you have solar the car will top up during the day only then kick in during the off peak hours if required.
I’ve given up on that - my panels are only 2.5kw so rarely give enough. And with octopus off peak being 1/3 the cost of peak you need the %green to be pretty high to make it worth it. But if you can generate more (you’d want 1kw minimum sustained for a few hours at 75% green) then definitely worth it

·
Registered
685 Posts
Strange this thread has so many replies.

Use the car's "scheduled start time" feature to set a 00:30 start time.

That's what I do and have done for the past 2 years, easy and it works.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wouldn't say it's strange, that's the whole point of a forum.

If dwl99 does have solar / wind turbine then there would be the missed opportunity for free electricity using the Zappi before the Go off peak if you just rely on the car schedule.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Strange this thread has so many replies.

Use the car's "scheduled start time" feature to set a 00:30 start time.

That's what I do and have done for the past 2 years, easy and it works.
and if you need more than 4 hours charging you’ll be charging partly at peak prices. Which is fine - if that works for you and you need the charge. But others may want to restrict to the off peak hours and there is no simple way to do that in the car.

limit to specific offpeak hours but have additional requirements
  • use a smart charger with scheduling like a zappi 2 (my preference)
  • use an app like teslafi to turn on/off charging on the car. works with most (all?) chargers but requires a small subscription payment for the app

Workarounds
- use ‘start charging’ in the car and adjust your desired charge limit in the app based on current charge and how much charge you’ll get from 4 hours at 7kw to stop before the peak period. Eg 28kwh, aroud 50% in an SR+, 30% in a LR/P?

Don’t care if it goes outside of offpeak
- use start charging in the car and leave your charge limit as it normally is

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm pretty low-tech, mostly because it's rare I need more than 4h to reach my desired state of charge. When I do need to cap it, I generally just take my current range and adjust it to be +120miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts