Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to update the sat nav definitions? Can these be downloaded from somewhere? Any hacks for using open street map data or any other open source data?

·
Registered
165 Posts
No, only looked into it briefly. No doubt you could update the SatNav yourself from this site but I assume the MG annual service will take care of that. Best confirm that though!

I have Sygic Car Navigation on the iPhone. It runs well via CarPlay and the app itself is updated quite regularly. It does not have EV charge points POIs as yet but I have requested that and the Sygic team are looking into it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No doubt you could update the SatNav yourself
I went onto the site and registered, where it then prompts you to download Naviextras Toolbox. When you run Naviextras Toolbox it says:

"If you have a portable navigation device, please switch it on and connect it to your computer via a USB cable. If you have a built-in navigation system, first create a fingerprint. Then remove your vehicle's data carrier (e.g. USB key or SD card) and insert it into your computer. Naviextras Toolbox will automatically detect your device."

I don't remember seeing the option in the MG to create a fingerprint? I will have to search for that some more. Can anyone shed light on creating a fingerprint?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I went onto the site and registered, where it then prompts you to download Naviextras Toolbox. When you run Naviextras Toolbox it says:

"If you have a portable navigation device, please switch it on and connect it to your computer via a USB cable. If you have a built-in navigation system, first create a fingerprint. Then remove your vehicle's data carrier (e.g. USB key or SD card) and insert it into your computer. Naviextras Toolbox will automatically detect your device."

I don't remember seeing the option in the MG to create a fingerprint? I will have to search for that some more. Can anyone shed light on creating a fingerprint?
This might be helpful Harley-Davidson.naviextras.com - Map updates for your navigation device and more...

·
Zoe Devotee
8,565 Posts
Anyone with a ZS EV tried this site yet? Can you update your car?

·
Registered
19 Posts
No ofense to you guys, but why would you want to spend time in updating the "crappy" satnav, when you can use real-time satnavs, like Waze using Android Auto or the equivalent Apple Play?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No ofense to you guys, but why would you want to spend time in updating the "crappy" satnav, when you can use real-time satnavs, like Waze using Android Auto or the equivalent Apple Play?
But that involves using data - I will stick to the free satnav in the car. As for crappy, that is subjective - I actually think it's quite good. Also what happens if your phone breaks?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll see your point, but what good is a satnav if it sends you though the most direct route, but is collapsed due traffic?
If the phone fails, you can still use the car satnav, anyway the updates in the UK roads are not that frequent, you should be OK for most of the 90% of the roads. And that is assuming they won't charge you for the updates ( which most manufactures do)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
'll see your point, but what good is a satnav if it sends you though the most direct route, but is collapsed due traffic?
I get traffic updates over the radio and manually reroute if I have to. Plus there are Gramin units that offer updates over radio, so no need to use data on a phone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anyone with a ZS EV tried this site yet? Can you update your car?
I have down loaded the tool box, prepped my usb stick and then down loaded the software.
Placed usb back into car and gets about 3/4 through and then the unit resets but has not updated.
I did see a message on the 4th try saying do you wish to update satnav but before I could hit the yes button the unit reset and rebooted but did not update.
I've given up now as its dark and i'm cold:rolleyes:
I'll try again in the morning.

Allen

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have down loaded the tool box, prepped my usb stick and then down loaded the software.
Placed usb back into car and gets about 3/4 through and then the unit resets but has not updated
Have you tried with different USB sticks? Also how did you format your USB stick? Have you tried formatting the stick as FAT32? Might be worth experimenting with different usb sticks and formatting them differently.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you tried with different USB sticks? Also how did you format your USB stick? Have you tried formatting the stick as FAT32? Might be worth experimenting with different usb sticks and formatting them differently.
Hi

I've now tried 2 more different usb sticks both formatted to fat 32 and still doing the same thing, although they are very old. I have ordered a new one from Amazon will be here today so will try with and let you know.
Thanks for the advice I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

·
Registered
37 Posts
And the Award of not reading things properly goes to me ?
I misread the year of the update by looking at the expire date which is 2020. The map update is for Q2 2019 so no wonder why it will not update as its already up to date what a wally ?.
I shall now sit in a darkened room until my wife stops taking the micky out of me ??

Allen

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my MG (Netherlands). I'm having the same issue.

I have worked with NaviExtras many times. Usually it shows the updates that are actually updates. So if they pop-up, they are newer than what's in your car.

Mine has ZS11_EV_NAV_41.64_190813_R for software version. The one presented to me in NaviExtras is 2019 Q4. Going by the version number I would think my current map data is Q3-2019 (2019-08-13). So I would imagine the Q4 is in fact a newer version.

Still at about 70% the nav just reboots and goes on as if nothing happened.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I misread the year of the update by looking at the expire date which is 2020. The map update is for Q2 2019 so no wonder why it will not update as its already up to date
Glad you sussed why it was not working. But how did you manage to create a fingerprint on the USB drive? I don't remember seeing the option in the MG to create a fingerprint?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think that there is something wrong with the head-unit software. NO matter what I do the update process crashes after about two minutes. Conversation with NaviExtras (people who supply sat nav.software) left me running an update that rendered the sat nav broken. Still waiting for a fix before I go back to dealer :(

1 - 20 of 35 Posts