Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to use one at the weekend. Two in fact, at Peterborough. Connected the CCS connector, the screen gave me some kind of prompt like "start", then it seemed split in two, a membership option on the left or immediate pay on the right. Tried pressing the screen on the right, nothing happens. Tried the left, and the "help" button, nothing seems to happen. Presented my phone to pay. Nothing happens. Presented a contactless debit card, nothing happens. Presented a contactless credit card. Nothing happens. Moved to the next machine over. Got to the same point, presented the debit card, it made a beep and said I'm not authorised. Tried the credit card, made lots of beeps, and said I'm not authorised. Tried a second credit card, nothing happened, rotated the card 90 degrees, got a single beep, not authorised. Saw a QR code on the charger, scanned it................. eventually a web link is detected, go to a website, then it asks me to type in a credit card number (no Apple Pay or Paypal I could see). Gave up, drove off.

I though these were supposed to be zero hassle, contactless, convenient chargers ready to be used by the masses. What am I doing wrong?

Reactions: Neilew

·
Zoe Devotee
9,064 Posts
Maybe just use the app via the Google or Apple play store? 🙋‍♂️

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,132 Posts
I though these were supposed to be zero hassle, contactless, convenient chargers ready to be used by the masses. What am I doing wrong?
Unfortunately, what you did wrong is you thought wrong.

They’re only really (nearly) zero hassle if you use an RFID card.

Have heard that a new app with easier payment options is coming, but the lack of clear instructions on the unit is pretty shameful.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,908 Posts
The app is painful the first time, but almost bearable the second time when you have all the settings saved.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe just use the app via the Google or Apple play store? 🙋‍♂️
QR code doesn't point you to that, it points you to a website. And I don't want to install yet another app, I want to use a credit/debit card or just Apple Pay. Plug, card, go. Never mind.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,908 Posts
QR code doesn't point you to that, it points you to a website. And I don't want to install yet another app, I want to use a credit/debit card or just Apple Pay. Plug, card, go. Never mind.
No.

You have to use the App/Website.

You can't just go tapping your credit card like a maniac.

You need to get the whole Ionity experience.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
314 Posts
If you're on Ocotpus Energy, their (free to have) charging card gives you Ionity access now, it just gets billed through your energy account.

And yep, it's a bit of a pain paying for it if you're not using one of the many charging cards that offers Ionity access.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,670 Posts
If you're on Ocotpus Energy, their (free to have) charging card gives you Ionity access now, it just gets billed through your energy account.

And yep, it's a bit of a pain paying for it if you're not using one of the many charging cards that offers Ionity access.
The Electric Juice card is now open to everyone, not just Octopus customers.
Alternatively there is the Chargepoint RFID Card. It's also accepted by a number of different networks but gives a discounted rate of 58p/kWh on Ionity.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The NewMotion (Shell Recharge) card/fob works too.

I always thought these chargers were supposed to accept contactless payment, but I've seen a number of comments recently suggesting they don't, so I'm not sure where I got that from.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions of the (myriad) of options. I went through all this when I first got the Leaf, getting cards for Plugged in Midlands, Source London, CYC, a Chargemaster something or other, a Podpoint something, and two different Ecotricity cards. I'm not planning on getting any more until there's one that genuinely works for everything!

·
Registered
Kona64
1,650 Posts
Now, I like others above, would assume "customer card" means my bank card ......

·
Registered
883 Posts
The Electric Juice card is now open to everyone, not just Octopus customers.
Alternatively there is the Chargepoint RFID Card. It's also accepted by a number of different networks but gives a discounted rate of 58p/kWh on Ionity.
Sorry what?? 58p per KWh?? That's a discount? Pod Point is usually about 13p, most rapid chargers around 27-30p

If they are charging 58p/KW then that's a network provider I won't be using unless totally flat!

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,670 Posts
Sorry what?? 58p per KWh?? That's a discount? Pod Point is usually about 13p, most rapid chargers around 27-30p

If they are charging 58p/KW then that's a network provider I won't be using unless totally flat!
Ionity standard rate is 69p/kWh!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions of the (myriad) of options. I went through all this when I first got the Leaf, getting cards for Plugged in Midlands, Source London, CYC, a Chargemaster something or other, a Podpoint something, and two different Ecotricity cards. I'm not planning on getting any more until there's one that genuinely works for everything!
Both the NewMotion/Shell and Electric Juice cards roam on loads of networks. It's worth getting one or the other of those. My Shell fob I've been registering on BYORFID networks like GeniePoint, so I can largely just use that and not worry about the others too much.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
545 Posts
Are you confusing Ionity with Instavolt?

Ionity are very expensive and whilst supposedly 350kW chargers are renown for only trickling the juice out. There are many posts on these forms with EV drivers complaining about the low rate of charge. Personally, I have tried Ionity when they were free vend and the rate of charge differed on all 4 chargers when I tried them. One was not working at all and the other 3 gave 20kW/h, 33kW/h and 74kW/h on my 100kW/h capable Corsa-e in the summer with 25%SoC after over 2 hours of continuous driving.

They look nice because they are mostly new units but there are problems with their network.

·
Registered
275 Posts
ChargePoint looks like the best way to access IONITY. Also works on InstaVolt and Osprey so it’s definitely one of the better payment cards out there I reckon.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Are you confusing Ionity with Instavolt?

Ionity are very expensive and whilst supposedly 350kW chargers are renown for only trickling the juice out. There are many posts on these forms with EV drivers complaining about the low rate of charge. Personally, I have tried Ionity when they were free vend and the rate of charge differed on all 4 chargers when I tried them. One was not working at all and the other 3 gave 20kW/h, 33kW/h and 74kW/h on my 100kW/h capable Corsa-e in the summer with 25%SoC after over 2 hours of continuous driving.

They look nice because they are mostly new units but there are problems with their network.
It seems to be very location dependent. I charge regularly at Gretna, and the experience has been almost always very good - apart from the cost, of course. I drive an eTron which can charge at up to 150kW, and I usually see this speed. When I haven't, I'm pretty sur it's been down to battery temperature (exceptionally cold weather). Skelton Lake, however, is an absolute lottery. Different style of charger so I presume that's it...they do need to sort this, as there is no way people will pay the premium if it's not absolutely reliable.

Reactions: Neilew and 80698

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
It's a shame about Skelton Lake - it's the only Ionity location that would be really useful for me. I had very slow speeds there even in my Zoe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts