Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro Advance Plus
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When driving with family I always use the AC to get maximum comfort. But when driving alone, what's the best way to minimize consumption and still get acceptable comfort?

When it's hot weather, I tend to turn off AC, and turn on the butt cooling off necessary. When driving relatively fast the air that comes through even though the AC is turned off enough. When driving slow I open the window to let some more air in.

I haven't driven the Niro in cold climate yet. But my idea is to do the same but reverse, turn off A/C and use butt heating and steering wheel heating.

How do you achieve this, or maybe it's not worth it?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
3,657 Posts
I know it is not very helpful, but if you need the range just switch off everything, even better drop your speed.

But I agree with the others, as long as you are not pressed for range: drive in comfort.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Life's too short to drive a car in discomfort. There's 64 kWh under your butt. Use it to live and prosper.
This ^^. With an 80-90% charge flip the climate control off and the GOM will tell you you've gained about 3-4 miles range. Frankly not worth the bother sweating or shivering. If you must then use the driver only button.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This ^^. With an 80-90% charge flip the climate control off and the GOM will tell you you've gained about 3-4 miles range. Frankly not worth the bother sweating or shivering. If you must then use the driver only button.
I also love that i get free charge at work.. i'm possibly the most economically unfriendly E-Niro driver ever.. the car's still averaging over 4.4kWH over 3500 miles.. having bought it in winter. It's a seriously impressive bit of kit.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+ Yacht Blue. Jan 2021
169 Posts
Friday evening I sat in the car for an hour while my son had a tennis lesson. Put it in utility mode, with hvac on, listening to the radio.

Total consumption 0.5 kWh.

Not worth being uncomfortable for such a tiny use of power.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When the first EVs came out, using AC would maybe take 20% of the battery and seriously hit your range. It's not really worth considering with something like a e-niro though imho. As others have said, enjoy being comfortable and just treat it like any other car!

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona
58 Posts
I drive a Hyundai Kona Electric Premium 21 plate, I've been asking around about my energy consumption too.
Please see some pictures with the energy consumption with the heating on and with the heating off or just bare minimum.
Have a look at all the numbers with the heating on and or ,with the heating off.
The difference in numbers is massive.

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
I drive a Hyundai Kona Electric Premium 21 plate, I've been asking around about my energy consumption too.
Please see some pictures with the energy consumption with the heating on and with the heating off or just bare minimum.
Have a look at all the numbers with the heating on and or ,with the heating off.
It will always affect shorter journeys more. If it's a really short journey and you're the only one in the car then you can turn the climate control off and use the heated seats but generally who cares? The point of being in a nice car is to be comfortable.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,130 Posts
Short journeys in winter use more power... Our routine run is about 9 miles each way. I find it takes the initial 15 minutes about 8 miles) before it picks up. But I've never seen the miles per kWh so low in the Niro.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Something isn't right there.

I (in my eNiro 4+) was annoyed that I'm only getting 3.5m/kWh on my daily 6 mile return trip to walk the dogs. Compared to 4.8-5 in the summer (with the air con on!).

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona
58 Posts
Something isn't right there.

I (in my eNiro 4+) was annoyed that I'm only getting 3.5m/kWh on my daily 6 mile return trip to walk the dogs. Compared to 4.8-5 in the summer (with the air con on!).
You're only getting 3.5mkWh?! Wow, that's even lower than mine, but your car is basically identical with mine?!
It doesn't make sense...:oops::oops::unsure:

·
Registered
68 Posts
You're only getting 3.5mkWh?! Wow, that's even lower than mine, but your car is basically identical with mine?!
I didn't think 3.5 was terrible to be honest. Very cold starts (0-4 degrees), and a 12-mile round-trip across the hills of West Wiltshire.

Do you think I should be getting more? I'd love to, but had always assumed the range would drop in winter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was easily getting under 3m/kWh last winter on my morning commute. That's because I spent longer preheating the car than driving the journey 😎

It's pretty futile comparing consumption from one person to the next on short journeys because of all the variables involved, namely topography of the route, speed, temperature and climate control. Easy to get hooked on the figure, better to ignore and enjoy the drive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.