Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have been charging at a rapid charger and there is another car charging I have noticed that many people are not aware how to connect and disconnect the CHAdeMO connector to their car without the risk of damage.

The technique is very easy and simply once you have been shown but not so obvious at first.

I recommend that everyone that uses CHAdeMO chargers take a minute to review this procedure... it might prevent accidental damage to your car connector or to the charge plug itself.

NOTE: Many UK chargers have a collar to hold the handle closed once you have squeezed it shut. Just make sure the collar is slid back and follow this procedure. It makes it all very easy and simple .

If you ever find yourself struggling or needing to do anything more than gently then you are probably not doing it right. It should all happen without any force needing to be used :)

·
Registered
MG ZS Exclusive
238 Posts
I will give it a go tonight Paul. My car is being delivered around 3pm. The new ABB rapids much the same?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ABB rapids are the same but they might not have the collar so they will look exactly like the one in the video :)

Good luck later :) :)

·
Registered
MG ZS Exclusive
238 Posts
Ta:) IJust spoke to the delivery chap, his sat nav is telling him he is 60 miles away. I am stupidly excited!

·
Registered
266 Posts
As someone who doesn't use the CHAdeMO very often but found themselves using 3 in a single day I can say it didn't go as smoothly as the video shows. This is really helpful, thanks for sharing

·
Registered
MG ZS Exclusive
238 Posts
Easy peasy on the ABB's, they are free to charge at the moment + you don't need a card. I think that will change once they are formally commissioned.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'd like to see the video that describes how to use the myriad of broken chademo connectors I've encountered on the M4 where the handle does absolutely nothing!

Ikea Bristol, broken. 1st experience ever - very confusing and disconcerting. Instructions on charger screen for disconnection disappear in seconds!

Membury E - 2nd attempt. Broken
Reading E&W perfect.
Membury W - VERY VERY broken.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anyone comes across a broken connector it is important that we report it via the helpline so they can get it repaired. They will repair them once they know about the problem :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If anyone comes across a broken connector it is important that we report it via the helpline so they can get it repaired. They will repair them once they know about the problem :)
I'm not so sure. Seen many reports on twitter about Membury for weeks, I myself have tweeted ElecHighway about Membury. Broken for the fortnight I've owned the car probably much longer :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Twitter is not the way to report anything. Ecotricity have said that they will not respond to Twitter reports. We must report failures through the helpline or there is a chance that nothing will be done.

Report on Twitter to let other drivers know... sure... but report all issues and failures through the helpline if we want them repaired :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm not so sure. Seen many reports on twitter about Membury for weeks, I myself have tweeted ElecHighway about Membury. Broken for the fortnight I've owned the car probably much longer :rolleyes:
I used Membury both East and West on Sunday and they both worked for me, a little tricky but working

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I used Membury both East and West on Sunday and they both worked for me, a little tricky but working
Yes working as in got a charge, as did I but it's not supposed to be like that.

Tricky as in the lever doesn't do what it's supposed to do and you have to manhandle the rear part of the connector forward to mate with the car connections (the second phase of connecting) and vice versa. Westbound in much worse state.

Was there last Thursday, and the Thursday before that.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's daft, would be easy for them to log and pass on from twitter, something many people use when mobile. :(
Well it makes sense to me it being reported by the person that discovers the issue so they can get an accurate report of the issue... generally not possible in 140 characters :) Neither can they ask questions easily via Twitter or get a verbal assessment of the problem. Also, they would have to monitor Twitter. Twitter is not an official means of communication. Via the helpline it can be properly logged and acted on.

I would say that it makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think going where your customers are makes sense, and twitter comms and logging are easy to do for all.
Only for those that use Twitter and that is very much a minority (yes, we are special!!!) :)

Unless they can get a full problem report then they cannot resolve the issue without further investigation. A report by the person that found the issue, reported through a phone report where a full account can be given and questions asked, makes much more sense.

:)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts