Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading, by ferry and road, to Malaga to stay at a friend's villa there. A UK 3 pin plug EVSE came with the car (Kia e-Niro) and I would like to charge off the household mains whilst staying at the villa. We also have a high rated extension lead which has one of those MK thermosetting plastic UK 3pin fitted at one end and an enclosed waterproof 3 pin socket at the other end, so I am wondering how best to make the connection to the household mains. I don't feel too happy about using a euro adapter plug for this purpose, even with just the EVSE, so I am thinking of fitting a local style plug on the extension lead, but is this the best way to go?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Adapters are not great at this power level, Put a suitable Spanish plug (shuko 16A type F) on the extension.
the type F is the one which is earthed. Ask your friend to source a good brand in Spain and put on the extension lead there.
Spanish plug and socket

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
I use a good quality adaptor with an extension lead and haven’t had any issues. Not ideal of course.

Or just take a three pin outdoor socket and buy a 3 kw Shuko extension cable when you get there. Then attach said socket.

I got a good one from one of the many Chinese Hyper stores you see around.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I suppose a shuko extension lead rated at 16A will be ok for a few charges, or an adapter will be ok if plugging in the EVSE without an extension lead as it will monitor the plug temp.

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
One thing to watch is a lot of Spanish houses have a low committed power as it keeps standing charge down. At ours we only have 4kW! If you go over the committed power for a duration (not sure how long) it will trip the energy company breaker, so if at night have a flashlight ready!

Many breakers are now built into the sealed smart meter and I am not clear if it resets automatically after a time or if you have to phone them.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you are lucky it may be like in Italy where my flat (many flats) had a 3kW maximum draw! (in practice 3.3), for the same reason. If you go over that it trips at the smart meter in the meter box, and it's a simple press button reset job. Managed 7 years with only tripping a couple of times (gas oven and low powered kettle)..

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
Most places seem to have a 40 Amp main breaker.

Although electrics are usually old, so pay attention to how warm a socket gets. I managed to melt the one in my garage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We are heading, by ferry and road, to Malaga to stay at a friend's villa there. A UK 3 pin plug EVSE came with the car (Kia e-Niro) and I would like to charge off the household mains whilst staying at the villa. We also have a high rated extension lead which has one of those MK thermosetting plastic UK 3pin fitted at one end and an enclosed waterproof 3 pin socket at the other end, so I am wondering how best to make the connection to the household mains. I don't feel too happy about using a euro adapter plug for this purpose, even with just the EVSE, so I am thinking of fitting a local style plug on the extension lead, but is this the best way to go?
Just bear in mind that eventually you will burn out the 3 pin charger by using adapters or extension leads. I’ve done that twice now (on a Mitsubishi Outlander and the i3) by using extension leads. I was lucky that the Mitsubishi dealer replaced that one for free.

Best left for emergencies!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Just bear in mind that eventually you will burn out the 3 pin charger by using adaptors or extension leads.
There is no logically reason this would be the case.
I would say the charger is poor quality rather than it's down to using adaptors or extension leads.

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
There is no logically reason this would be the case.
I would say the charger is poor quality rather than it's down to using adaptors or extension leads.
Usually, if the socket or plug is old and there’s corrosion, then the increased resistance can lead to overheating.

I have to say with my good quality setup I haven’t had any issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Usually, if the socket or plug is old and there’s corrosion, then the increased resistance can lead to overheating.

I have to say with my good quality setup I haven’t had any issues.
I’ve got away with it for weeks at a time. Then one day it burns out and costs hundreds to replace. The user manual will say not to use extension leads or adapters for this reason.

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
I’ve got away with it for weeks at a time. Then one day it burns out and costs hundreds to replace. The user manual will say not to use extension leads or adapters for this reason.
Well it's good advice to only use it for emergencies.

Whenever I do use it, I always check the temps. I did take the trouble to find a good quality adaptor and extension lead. The UMC I use also has a temp sensor so should shut off if there's a problem.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We used our old Leaf’s Nissan granny lead for several months on a cheap extension lead, allegedly 13A, then one day the extension lead plug melted and burned the outlet socket. The house was built two years ago, the cause was continuous use of a plug with a fuse and contacts that gradually corroded and made the plug overheat. After that I made up a good quality extension lead with MK thermosetting plug and cleaned the fuse contacts monthly. The Kia’s granny lead has adjustable current so obviously will stick to the lowest, i.e. 10A.

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
The Kia’s granny lead has adjustable current so obviously will stick to the lowest, i.e. 10A.
I now remember that when using it with the Tesla I took it down to 8 Amps, which seemed to help a lot.

As we have seen the 10Amp EVSEs can sometimes operate at much higher amperages.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
The user manual will say not to use extension leads or adapters for this reason.
The reason for that is because people are stupid.

They will chain link 5 extension leads together ... or use one not suitable for the outside, etc... IftThe extension lead or adaptor are inadequate then this can cause them to spark or overheat.

However the 3-Pin Charger itself will be self-protected. It has it's own fuse and controller. If this is getting seriously hot or faulty, then this is a poorly made, and has nothing to do with what's behind it.

Chaining 2 non-waterproof extensions with the charger at the end is obviously wrong, but the faults will cause problems in your house, socket, or the leads ... not the charger itself.

·
Registered
401 Posts
However the 3-Pin Charger itself will be self-protected. It has it's own fuse and controller. If this is getting seriously hot or faulty, then this is a poorly made, and has nothing to do with what's behind it.
Unless, of course, if the extension socket is iffy and badly overheats slagging down and taking the granny charger plug with it!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Unless, of course, if the extension socket is iffy and badly overheats slagging down and taking the granny charger plug with it!
Yes but then that's the extension lead not the charger itself that was at fault.

This is my point. If the charger is breaking or overheating .... it's not because an adaptor or extension lead was used. The reason they say don't use it with these items is because people use inferior products, etc...

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
Most places seem to have a 40 Amp main breaker
The breaker is consumer side and has nothing to do with contracted power. Our Spanish home is fairly new with good electrics and a 60A main breaker, but our contracted power is just 4kW! If we draw above that it will trip the supply side, but thankfully we haven't done that to date.

We rent out in summer (most years!) so did consider adding a charging point, but it would be max 16A and need load monitoring! We can't justify higher monthly cost of increasing committed supply and to go above (IIRC) 6kW we would need to install 3 phase!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts