Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know most of this already, I'm sure, but I thought this was an interesting and slightly nerdy explanation of how your EVSE works, which just popped up on the Technology Connections channel. It's from a US perspective, so focuses on the J1772 standard, but mostly relevant for the UK too I guess.

I've seen a few of this guy's videos, and find them well written and interesting. Be sure to watch the most beautiful toaster you've ever seen too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's interesting how the SAE J1772 has a switch so you can easily detach it from the vehicle without needing the car to release the lock. Does this mean anyone can come along and unplug it?

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,155 Posts
It's interesting how the SAE J1772 has a switch so you can easily detach it from the vehicle without needing the car to release the lock. Does this mean anyone can come along and unplug it?
You can still lock it at the car end. The original LEAF for example allowed you to lock the cable to the vehicle. Many of these J1772 cables also have a small hole allowing you to put a padlock through the switch to prevent removal too.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
The button is there to let the car know you're about to pull the plug out - you can't physically withdraw the plug without pressing the button, and you can't press the button without the onboard charger knowing about it - as soon as you press the button the onboard charger will sense this and immediately stop charging before you actually withdraw the plug.

This among other things prevents arcing of the pins which would happen if you were able to withdraw the plug while it was carrying 32 amps... so helps to prolong the life of the plug and socket.

As already mentioned further up some plugs have a small hole in the button you can put a padlock through to physically restrain the button - usually only untethered cables though as my untethered cable has this hole and my tethered cable from my wall mounted EVSE doesn't, presumably on the basis that you can't steal a tethered cable, however being tethered doesn't prevent malicious nuisance disconnects...

As also mentioned further up some J1772 cars like the Leaf can lock the plug into the car regardless of any padlock on the button - when locked by the car you can't physically press the button down. My Ion was not able to lock the plug for itself so a padlock was mandatory at public charging stations unless you wanted your cable nicked...

Type 2 cables don't have a button of course, on those the decision was made for all cars to be able to lock the plug into the socket, (optional with Type 1) and you are therefore prevented from pulling out the plug until the car has stopped the onboard charger and released the locking pin.

While both work well I quite like the fact that at home I can just walk up to my car and press the trigger to unplug it without having to unlock the car first, as the car gets warning that I'm about to unplug it from pressing the trigger on the plug. If I had a Type 2 car I'd have to unlock the car or press a button on the fob first before being able to unplug it.

The Type 1 Leaf has a switch inside where you can choose to have the car lock the plug all the time (until unlocking the car or pushing a fob button) lock it only while charging or never lock it. At home on a tethered cable I use the never lock setting and on public chargers I use the always lock setting to protect my cable.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Type 1 Leaf has a switch inside where you can choose to have the car lock the plug all the time (until unlocking the car or pushing a fob button) lock it only while charging or never lock it. At home on a tethered cable I use the never lock setting and on public chargers I use the always lock setting to protect my cable.
The Gen 1s didn't have that so it was a welcome addition to the Gen 2. Sadly the Gen 3 has gone backwards because the Type 1 used to unlock when you hit the door button, now you have to open the door and press the release button.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It does but I liked the way the gen 2 worked, especially as unlocking the door was something I had to do anyway. That said I did occasionally roll the cable up and put it in the boot and then lock the door as I was trying to get into the car!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts