Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HUD on my car does not fully display the lane markings for Lane Assist / Travel Assist (see pic), the left hand marking is clipped and only partly visible - VW are trying to tell me this is how it is on right hand drive cars !

I know many will not have a HUD, but does anyone with a HUD also have this problem, or can you see both lane markings in full ?

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm afraid you cannot move the display to the right (or left) - this was the first response from the dealer - the HUD can be adjusted up and down, and rotated to get it level, but there is no left/right adjustment. - Unless you have found another adjustment somewhere?

·
Registered
355 Posts
The HUD on my car does not fully display the lane markings for Lane Assist / Travel Assist (see pic), the left hand marking is clipped and only partly visible - VW are trying to tell me this is how it is on right hand drive cars !

I know many will not have a HUD, but does anyone with a HUD also have this problem, or can you see both lane markings in full ?

View attachment 144380
I’ve got a HUD and it does clip the left hand side, but nowhere near as bad as yours (based on the picture). I also mentioned to VW (via dealer), but didn’t really get anywhere and I’ve so many other issues, I’ve not bothered to progress.

From my perspective, the right hand side is fine under all situations, amber lane edge warning etc. The left side isn’t too bad when it highlights the lane in green as the right hand line is prominent. The biggest problem is when it tries to highlight the left lane edge: as it’s a single amber line and with clipping it’s not always apparent.

I’ve tried adjusting the HUD to various positions, but none alter the clipping.

The thing I find odd, is that in setup, the HUD adds lines on the screen to indicate the viewable area. From what I can see, the clipping occurs inside the viewable area: this would suggest to me that it’s the feed to the HUD unit that’s missing info, rather than the unit being unable to display.

I’m no expert on HUD’s, but as the clipping on yours, is far worse than mine and the clipping appears to occur within the viewable area, it would seem like some software problem or possibly a calibration issue.

I suspect it’s not going to be an easy thing to argue - it is however irritating

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I’ve got a HUD and it does clip the left hand side, but nowhere near as bad as yours (based on the picture). I also mentioned to VW (via dealer), but didn’t really get anywhere and I’ve so many other issues, I’ve not bothered to progress.
Thanks -and I do appreciate you've got much bigger issues going on! It doesn't really cause me any significant problems, it is just annoying that it's not as it should be - feedback like yours may help get something done!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks -and do I appreciate you've got much bigger issues going on! It doesn't really cause me any significant problems, it is just annoying that it's not as it should be - feedback like yours may help get something done!
Totally agree, persevere and let me know how you get on. If you want any pics of mine in action, let me know and I’ll see what I can do, assuming it lets me in

·
Registered
8 Posts

View attachment 144380
I've noticed it but thought was just due to how I had the seat positioned and didn't pay much attention. Will have a check next time and let you know if it's still clipped on mine.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
256 Posts
My response has nothing to do with the ID3 however, my wife had 2017 Audi A4 estate (dogs requirements) with HUD and it was the best thing ever. Very crisp, incredibly useful, displaying everything including sat nav. I've driven the car many times and I've always enjoyed this feature.
I am mentioning this because after all VW owns Audi, so the HUD on her car was working very well including BOTH lanes were fully visible without the issue as described above. So it must be something within setting/calibration. If this worked on 2017 Audi I don't see a reason to have a problem on 2021 car.
I hope guys you can sort this out because is very, very useful feature. (y)

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Max Stonewash Blue
6 Posts
I haven't noticed any clipping on mine and definitely have both lanes showing. I'll look more closely next time I'm using it.Just a thought: if you haven't already, is it worth checking to see if there's anything stuck on the projector?

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech v2.1
23 Posts

When I first got the car I thought the left area was clipped though it isn't a problem any more - that might be because my position in the seat has changed, or I've moved forwards. So in practice it isn't an issue and I can see the whole display though there is certainly more room on the right of it than the left.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't noticed any clipping on mine and definitely have both lanes showing. I'll look more closely next time I'm using it.Just a thought: if you haven't already, is it worth checking to see if there's anything stuck on the projector?
When I first got the car I thought the left area was clipped though it isn't a problem any more - that might be because my position in the seat has changed, or I've moved forwards. So in practice it isn't an issue and I can see the whole display though there is certainly more room on the right of it than the left.
No sign of any obstruction that should not be there, and in set-up mode the corner outlines are fully visible.

It's encouraging to hear from both of you that you don't have major clipping issues, so it presumably can be fixed and isn't just a 'feature' of right hand drive ID3s! Just need to persuade the dealer to do something about it - to be fair they are trying to understand what is going on and what to do, and are raising it with VW.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
This looks about what I’d expect from a contrast-based vision system in these conditions. I believe it’s actually picking up on the darkened road edge there, not the hard white line.

Road edge detection helps avoid disengages when the inner line disappears or widens (junctions etc), and will also keep you in lane on minor roads without hard white edge lines.

Most vision systems will have an affinity for the central lines as they’re a more reliable indicator of trajectory, and more likely to be present.

Remember there’s a lot more going on under the hood than you see - path prediction, traffic following etc - so the small amount of edge it did pick up on is more than enough for it to operate.

I’m surprised the CV output is exposed to the user - as someone who has built this kind of thing, it’s obviously interesting, but I can see how it’d concern some people.

The dealer doesn’t know what he’s talking about btw. The LHD will do the same thing, just mirrored (line on right will be smaller). The camera doesn’t point in different directions in different countries - the “area of interest” for the vision system is identical.

Reactions: jeffUK and Padrino

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
256 Posts
The dealer doesn’t know what he’s talking about btw.
Show me a dealer that know what he/she is talking about 😂
Reminded me of Mercedes service manager that was trying to convince me that my almost new E350 few years back was puling to the left because of the "camber of the road" and told me: "They all do that Sir" 😂😂😂

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tech
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This looks about what I’d expect from a contrast-based vision system in these conditions. I believe it’s actually picking up on the darkened road edge there, not the hard white line.
Interesting theory - but I'm going to disagree with you on this one. The photo is from a video which shows the same clipping under multiple road conditions, with both solid and broken white lines. The only variation depends on the road direction - the HUD lane markers will dynamically curve to follow the road direction, so on a right hand bend I see a little more of the left lane marker, on a left hand bend I may not see the marker at all.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Must be lines coming in and out of the area of interest then :) I thought perhaps they were just focusing on road edge on the inside.

Either way, the opposite will happen on LHD cars.

This is roughly what it sees:

Reactions: DaveA
1 - 18 of 18 Posts