Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the zapmap review of the new Kia Soul and thought it might be just the right EV for me, so looked at my favourite leasing website, Fleetprices, which quickly shows their leasing rates in ascending order for all Ev’s. My usual lease is a 23+3, for which fleetprices show the basic leaf at £233 pm and the basic Zoe at £238 pm, both excellent rates. I had to scroll down several pages to find the Soul, at a whopping £746 pm. Many other popular evs are around the £500 mark. No doubt slightly lower rates may be found on the also excellent cars2buy comparison website, by why such huge discrepancies for cars with broadly similar otr prices?

·
Registered
146 Posts
There's a few factors but cheap leases will usually be because there's more production capacity or existing cars built than the manufacturer has buyers for. They either offer cars outright at low prices to lease funders like Arval or Network, or their own finance arms offer out cheap lease terms to the brokers. Often better for them to take a hit and get it back in 2 or 3 years (usually straight into their own dealers' "approved used" stock) than to be stuck with them for any amount of time.

Nissan have been heavily discounting the 40kWh Leaf (rapidgate, not brilliant range, 62kWh out), and with the new Zoe there seems to be a lot of the early batch built without the optional CCS rapid charging - they're being offered much cheaper than the ones that have it (way in excess of what the option would cost on a new factory order).

The Kia Soul is brand new, has a big battery / good range but is a bit odd looking and there's no discounting at all - I suspect the lease firms don't quite know what to make of it hence prices are high.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
809 Posts
There's lots of manufacturer support on the Leaf, and they're pretty inexpensive to buy as well. The leaf has been around for a while now, whereas the Soul is a new model for 2020.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
And GFVs are all over the place at present. :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts