Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
'ZPN Hubz' units being installed by 'Rapid Charging Devon'

Apparently they have retractable cables and are battery boosted.

I’m all for more charging infrastructure, but not when it looks like someone has been fly-tipping fridge freezers leaving barely any space for pushchairs, wheel chairs and people to walk side by side!

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Seldom have I seen anything so downright stupid, and pretty much guaranteed to cause anti-EV sentiments. The morons that planned that layout really need to have their legs made inoperative for a day and then try negotiating that space in a manual wheelchair, or made to try and walk through there with a blindfold and a white stick.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It's a 'no' from me. In this kind of environment, smaller, AC, fast charging units would be more in-keeping. It's good that someone is trying to provide rapid chargers but surely they can find some car parks or other spaces for them nearby, where there is more space and they would not be so intrusive?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Given that WENEA seem to think all cars have 11kW chargers and home chargers are 3.6kW I suspect they haven't a clue what they are doing but are just collecting grant money.

Rectangle Water Smile Font Circle

Reactions: TJEV

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,989 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
They have some on-street rapids in Poole I noticed when I was there a couple of months back. If memory serves, what they do there is they create islands intruding into the road space where the chargers sit, and cars can charge on either side of the island. So, the space is taken from the road rather than the pavement, but no more space than if there were cars parked at the side of the road. That seems a better arrangement, certainly from the point of view of pedestrians.

P.S. Perhaps we can create a pressure group called something like 'EV Owners Against EV Chargers'?

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
So is every k-frame and kissing gate on public access routes. Don't think you'll get far on that one.

Pavements are treated very differently to footpaths, in terms of access, as footpaths don't generally need to be accessible to all, whereas pavements do. This comes up a fair bit on disability groups, as there is an obligation on councils to ensure street furniture is placed with due consideration for those that may have mobility or visual impairments. After all, plenty of councils object to people running protected charging cables across quiet residential pavements, on the basis that they are required to ensure ease of access to all, so the last thing we should expect is a council deliberately making access a damned sight more challenging for some, like this.

If this council had stopped and thought for a microsecond, they could have just shifted the supply cabinets so they were midway between the two chargers, and that would at least have reduced the impact of the narrow chicane they've created for those that are less able who may use that pavement. Better still would have been to choose a charger that wasn't quite as massive. There are models that are narrower front to back and which would have reduced the obstruction to those using the pavement.

As someone who spent several years pushing a wheelchair user around as a youngster (in the days before electric wheelchairs), and as someone that has a good friend that's a wheelchair user, I tend to view things like this for what they are, a completely preventable accessibility cock up.

·
31,989 Posts
The primary driver for the size / orientation is so that they can have a big screen visible to people walking along the road, to play adverts on - it's on the manufacturer's website linked above
I didn't think that was legal!?

·
31,989 Posts
Similar ad screens around here on bus stops, as well as electronic billboards - not sure why this would be illegal?
They are not road-edge distractions. I'd have thought stuff fixed on pavements right next to the road's edge would count as traffic furniture and require to comply with traffic regulations?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
795 Posts
And aesthetically, they look like a cross between a surf board and a coffin.
I was trying to think what they compare with and coffin was the best I could think of.

They are a shoe in for the winner of the ugliest charger competition.

The stupidity of councils never ceases to amaze me.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts