Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or is the M3 a really noisy car whilst parked? After living with a Kona Electric for 2½ years that was virtually silent in my garage (apart from the click when it started to charge the 12v battery), the M3LR is really noisy. Constant fan humming noise, ocasional clunk and thud, clicking and all manner of noises that seem so out of character for a silent EV.

Also, I thought that EV’s in the UK must make a noise when travelling at slow speed. I picked up my M3LR on 4th march and it makes NO pedestrian noise at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is it me or is the M3 a really noisy car whilst parked? After living with a Kona Electric for 2½ years that was virtually silent in my garage (apart from the click when it started to charge the 12v battery), the M3LR is really noisy. Constant fan humming noise, ocasional clunk and thud, clicking and all manner of noises that seem so out of character for a silent EV.

Also, I thought that EV’s in the UK must make a noise when travelling at slow speed. I picked up my M3LR on 4th march and it makes NO pedestrian noise at all.
I agree - mine chatters and chunters away merrily to itself. Not sure quite what it’s up to Certainly explains the phantom battery drain.
As for making a noise at slow speeds the US Model 3 is fitted with a “boom box” which plays sounds of your choice at low level (including an ice cream van!) but this is not fitted on the UK cars as they are not required.

·
Registered
124 Posts

I notice the fan coming on occasionally when parked. Its never constant though. I dont have the other noises. Probably good idea to get it checked out.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I notice the fan coming on occasionally when parked. Its never constant though. I dont have the other noises. Probably good idea to get it checked out.
No I'm pretty sure it's normal. I get all the same kind of noises, they're usually related to keeping the battery at the right temperature I assume and the clonking noises are it sort of waking up from a deep sleep ready to be unlocked sometimes.

All the things the OP mentioned are pretty much the same with my car, and they're quite normal I believe.

Have you ever sat in your car while it installs a new update? It makes all sorts of sounds then, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, however.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, at least I am happy now that these noises are normal with a M3. I will have a listen when the next update comes out for the extra noises 😀

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It runs the fans for a bit whilst parked to clear out the AC I believe, to stop it getting stale. Also on sufficiently hot days to protect the battery but we don't really get many of them.

Whilst on a supercharger you get lots of bangs and clunks from expanding metal. Also when installing an update it runs a self test which makes a few alarming noises too.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,297 Posts
Yours should have the external speaker and the software update to make fart noises is coming soon.

Fear not.

·
Registered
124 Posts
No I'm pretty sure it's normal. I get all the same kind of noises, they're usually related to keeping the battery at the right temperature I assume and the clonking noises are it sort of waking up from a deep sleep ready to be unlocked sometimes.

All the things the OP mentioned are pretty much the same with my car, and they're quite normal I believe.

Have you ever sat in your car while it installs a new update? It makes all sorts of sounds then, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, however.
I dont think its normal to have a fan constantly running. if it is then mines not normal i guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts