Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was sat with my car turned on, had just drove a few miles from leaving my house with a FULL CHARGE and while sat with the car switched on and not moving (IN PARK) suddenly 4 warning lights a appear and warning noises.
The top warning light is the standard battery warning light.
The next warning light is the HV battery fault light.
Next is the HV battery Shut off and the final light is the Vehicle control system fault light.

Car won't obviously move. Standard recovery driver tried disconnecting the little battery and connecting, that resulted in no change.

Currently waiting for a recovery truck to take it to the dealership.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,380 Posts
while sat with the car switched on and not moving
Switched on with 1 button push, you've depleted the 12v sufficiently to stop the car starting. I bet the lights and heater were also on. Turn everything off (twist the light stalk to off). Lock, wait 5 mins and the 12v might have bounced up sufficiently to start with the brake pedal pushed.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Yes, my other half made the same mistake with our MG. Even if you’re just sitting in it, start with foot on the brake to power up the HV battery. Starting with foot off brake is like starting an ICE in ACC mode, you’ll just deplete the 12v.

Reactions: Paul M

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Switched on with 1 button push, you've depleted the 12v sufficiently to stop the car starting. I bet the lights and heater were also on. Turn everything off (twist the light stalk to off). Lock, wait 5 mins and the 12v might have bounced up sufficiently to start with the brake pedal pushed.
Spoke with MG. They've had this problem before with other cars.
It's nothing to do with the brake pedal and all that stuff people keep going on about.
It's a fuse blowing in the HV battery.
Apparently a week to fix.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
557 Posts
That's not great, fuses don't blow without a reason make sure you ask them why it happened and they have a suitable explanation (such as the update needed doing) otherwise it could happen again!

·
Registered
2015 Ampera Positiv MY12
285 Posts
Yes, my other half made the same mistake with our MG. Even if you’re just sitting in it, start with foot on the brake to power up the HV battery. Starting with foot off brake is like starting an ICE in ACC mode, you’ll just deplete the 12v.
How long is it likely to take to deplete, assuming lights and heating are on? Just thought... would the heating even be running via the 12V battery?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,380 Posts
That's not great, fuses don't blow without a reason make sure you ask them why it happened and they have a suitable explanation (such as the update needed doing) otherwise it could happen again!
There is a soft recall, in that your car is software updated when its next in which stops this happening. Its a software issue that leads to the fuse going. Mine hasn't had it but I'll be sure that it does when its Serviced in March.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
How long is it likely to take to deplete, assuming lights and heating are on? Just thought... would the heating even be running via the 12V battery?
My other half was working from the car for about 90 minutes the other month. Next time I got in it was complaining about it’s 12v. Another half hour would probably have caused real issues. And although the car was plugged in, it wasn’t charging at all because it was “on”.

Reactions: Neilew and Squasher

·
Registered
2015 Ampera Positiv MY12
285 Posts
My other half was working from the car for about 90 minutes the other month. Next time I got in it was complaining about it’s 12v. Another half hour would probably have caused real issues. And although the car was plugged in, it wasn’t charging at all because it was “on”.
Ah, fair enough, I thought we were talking 10 or 15 mins.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
557 Posts
Problem been sorted. Was the fuse inside the HV battery that went. Dealership received my car Friday morning and it's is ready now at 9 am Tuesday morning.
Did they say why it went though? Generally speaking fuses should only blow if there is some sort of fault, if they haven't fixed that issue only replaced the fuse it could happen again.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Did they say why it went though? Generally speaking fuses should only blow if there is some sort of fault, if they haven't fixed that issue only replaced the fuse it could happen again.
There is a HV pack software update available to deal with the problem.
MG are aware of the problem and have issued a update to correct it.
I wonder if the new BMS update has been also aligned to deal with condition.
HV pack voltage after a full charge was 455 volts, it has been noticed that the pack voltage has been reduced to around 448 - 450 volts now.
Don’t know if there is any connection, but their could be a link.
I assume they have applied the HV pack update at the same time ???.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Only had mine car 3 weeks and was told from the garage all updates had been completed.
And i had to be recovered by the AA due to the car shutting down with the HV batteries shut off and control system failure, just as well we were not in the middle of know where with no network co erage and not on a motorway when it happened.

Car taken to MG garage and have been told is needs a new part which has been ordered something called an electric box the lad said weather it's what he has been told to say I don't know.

BUT at least it will be repaired next week and we have been given a car to use from garage while ours is in there.

If it is a fuse problem and also software related it needs sorting before there is any major accidents caused due to this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.