Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like the fans for my HVAC system have failed, after the AA restored the car from a dead 12V battery yesterday.
I get no fault or warning lamps about this. But I don't get a demisted windscreen either. And I don't hear the sound of any fans.

Symptoms:
  • The HVAC system is normally set to (I think the default), of "Auto" for fan, and "A/C" on the "Classic climate" menu.
  • I don't hear the fans, or feel anything blowing. Though there is some background noise that could be construed as a fan on a very low setting.
  • If I speed the fan up or down using the slider, I hear no difference.
  • If I hit the demist button (on the infotainment), I hear no motors engage.
  • If I hit either of the arrowed buttons to redirect air to person or feet, I hear motors engage to move vents.
  • Going from redirected air back to demist does engage motors, as vents get redirected back.
    But still no fans, and no cleared windscreen.
  • I do get heated seats and heated steering wheel.
    Useful, when the windows are open, to keep the windscreen clear.
Does anyone have any suggestions to fix or troubleshoot? Otherwise it'll be another item on the list for the dealer when they open tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,461 Posts
After a flat 12v and now this I'd be inclined to bin the car back to them for a full refund.

Blown fuse is a possible. Or a stuck relay. Having heating not working in this weather just isn't acceptable.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You could check for a blown fuse. The HVAC fans would be on their own fuse usually.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The manual has a 40A fuse listed for a "blower regulator". Seems fine to me.
It also lists a 10A one for the air conditioning control panel ... there's a 7.5A fuse in that location that I couldn't get out, so that one is still up in the air.

The manual comes with a big caveat - "At the time of publication, we are unable to give a complete overview..."

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,156 Posts
The manual has a 40A fuse listed for a "blower regulator". Seems fine to me.
It also lists a 10A one for the air conditioning control panel ... there's a 7.5A fuse in that location that I couldn't get out, so that one is still up in the air.

The manual comes with a big caveat - "At the time of publication, we are unable to give a complete overview..."
I had a look at the manual earlier too, they don’t list what most of the fuses are, only the user serviceable ones.

You could have a look with a bright torch to look for any blown fuses, but I’d get it back to VW for a proper look/fix.

·
Registered
543 Posts
According to the manual, there's a second set of fuses under the bonnet. F11 in that fuse box is for the air conditioning system.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car is now at dealer, after a relay from AA....

The first attempt to do anything was aborted when the (yellow) AA guy's diagnostic box failed to interpret the codes beyond the VIN number.

That got the call uprated to a silver van... but that ended without a visit after the guy figured it was not repairable roadside ... so a recovery to dealer got organised instead.

Yes, I agree it could have been caused by the actions of the first AA guy. Now VW's job to fix.

I got the multimeter out, and realised that all the fuses have test points above each blade ... so it became easy to test that the full voltage (15.1V at the time) was present at both sides of every blade. No problems there...

But I did spy a possible issue in the fuse box under the bonnet. There is a very large white fuse labelled 80 (presumably 80A) which is mounted on a bolt at one end ... but without a nut.

Service guy checked another in the workshop... which was the same.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Good luck with this. Have VW given you another car in the interim?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't pursue one yet, as I don't really need anything over the weekend or perhaps next week. Daughter's happy to get a spot on the drive though

Spoke to service manager. He has a way to organise a replacement car (via VW assist i assume) after they've had a look in the workshop. Presumably once they know how long it will take

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL. Already have a diesel VW. Don't need another!

The VW dealer in York seems well set up for EVs. At least there's a lot of blue bays in the car park - more than I've seen at other dealers.

With ZapMap showing a lot of chargers in the city, I should have guessed it would perhaps be something of a hotspot.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Our dealer is in the process of having some fast chargers installed, which I assume will be usable with the We Charge card. I wouldn't "need" to use them but I will possibly pop down there occasionally to use up some of the credit instead of charging at home. They are only 2 miles away, so it's moderately convenient to pop out for a topup. Nowhere else that I regularly drive has any supported chargers anywhere close by, so it's very unlikely I'll be using the credit otherwise.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have my car back, with fan and heating working now. It looks like the only thing they did was upgrade to 2.0 (0783), and that was enough to get things working.

The upgrade to the car brought a new option on the (Android) phone app, where I now have an option to set a departure time... and I'm sure the app didn't get upgraded.

I have noticed in the app, that when I now turn on the pre conditioning, the arrows that depict airflow go from grey to red after synch. Before, they would stay grey. Perhaps I suffered from the only-cold pre conditioning.

One improvement from the upgrade is that, instead of displaying miles/kWh when stationary, it displays kWh/h (aka just kW). That showed today about 5.5 kW when I first sat in the car (and it was cold), dropping to 2.5kW after a journey and up to temperature, and 0.3kW with the Clima panel turned off. All without turning on the seat or steering wheel heating ... So I'll have to find those values later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts