Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am following the heat pump thread with great interest as I am trying to decide if I should order with/without heat pump. I am almost willing to do without as the majority (over 90%) of my trips would not stretch the range.
My question is: with HVAC off, how much natural airflow comes thru the vents? On my ICE there is a decent flow presumably because it has a grill. It's not the case with my ZS, there is only a trickle even at 60+ mph. How is it with the ID3? Does the car mist up without the use of HVAC on the move?
PS. Re-posting my comment in the id3 heat pump vs eGolf thread for more visibility.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,686 Posts
Do you mean with the fan off? I would expect no air if the fans were off.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, fan and recirculation off.
I'd guess with the fans on a low setting to keep the windows clear would be a couple of hundred watts i.e. 0.2KWh. Another wild guess, up to 0.5KWh if heating.

I'd suggest that if 90% of your journeys are not range limited then the heat pump doesn't make financial or convenience sense.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input. I can't believe I'm so indecisive over the heat pump option when paint and alloys are nearly 2k and they are purely cosmetics! Nice problem to have though😏

·
Registered
100 Posts
OK, my opinion. First my prejudice, I have a car on order with no heat pump, and I didn't have the choice, but I am clearly going to try and justify that this is OK.

Second my experience - Many, many miles in a Nissan Leaf 24 kWh, recently with plenty of 150 mile journeys completed regularly in summer and winter (so two rapid chargers on the way). Nissan Leaf has a heat pump. We have a efficient diesel available, but the Leaf is near free in fuel costs. And we get to shop at one of the chargers on the way.

Back to the ID.3, I like the comment above that HP is only essential for journeys where you are going to be range limited. My 150 mile journey will be fine with or without the HP. If I try and do the return journey (300 miles), I will struggle if I use the heater. When I am alone, or with another person who likes adventure, I will give it a go, and likely will need a quick charge somewhere. If I have a passenger who would prefer to be warm (XX chromosomes likely involved), I will use the heater and destination charge.

Incidentally, seeing as you asked, low unheated air flow to the windscreen only keeps the Leaf windscreen clear in the cold and the warm, as long as you keep the interior dry. It mists up slightly when pouring with rain, then I need to up the fan to 3 (of about 6). I will expect the same in the ID.3,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts