Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys would really appreciate if someone could help me on a few questions please:

1. When you sell an EV with a leased battery do you just sign the battery lease over to the new owner?

2. Do hybrid cars ever have leased batteries or is a leased battery only for full EV cars?

3. I gather some hybrids self charge and never get plugged in, and others you need to top up the battery with a plug in - on the plug in hybrids are the charging cables the same as full electric cars with the fast charging pins, like on the Tesla?

Thanks so much in advance

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Hey guys would really appreciate if someone could help me on a few questions please:

1. When you sell an EV with a leased battery do you just sign the battery lease over to the new owner?

2. Do hybrid cars ever have leased batteries or is a leased battery only for full EV cars?

3. I gather some hybrids self charge and never get plugged in, and others you need to top up the battery with a plug in - on the plug in hybrids are the charging cables the same as full electric cars with the fast charging pins, like on the Tesla?

Very early Nissan cars, and Renaults up to and including the ZE40 series were available with battery lease. No other companies, and no hybrids at all.

When you sell a battery lease car theres a bit of hassle with paperwork. In theory it's as simple as you say, but in reality it takes a while and you can sometimes end up paying for an extra month while things get sorted out, or papers get lost etc.

Regular hybrids don't get plugged in. They will only do 1-3 miles on electricity alone because of this very small battery. Plug in hybrids can do much more on electric alone but do need plugging in to charge properly and make the most of the electric drive. In Europe, they all follow the same Type 2 standard now. So yes you will have the same connector as a full electric car - Although it's worth noting that most plug-in hybrids can not rapid charge.

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,301 Posts

1. Yes

2. Most older Zoe's and a few older Leaf's were sold with battery leases. I'm not aware of any other cars that were sold like this. No new cars are sold with battery leases.

3. As far as I'm aware, the only plugin hybrid that was sold with rapid charging was the mitsubishi outlander (it was type 1 and Chademo). All other phevs are type 2 only (earlier phevs were type 1) so cannot rapid charge .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the quick replies.

Good to know there are no new cars anymore offering leased batteries - i thought i read that the Ren Zoe was still doing a leased battery offer?

And to confirm, there has never been a hybrid car that has been offered with leased batteries at all?

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,301 Posts

Good to know there are no new cars anymore offering leased batteries - i thought i read that the Ren Zoe was still doing a leased battery offer?

And to confirm, there has never been a hybrid car that has been offered with leased batteries at all?
None that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts

Nope. Never any hybrids with leases to my knowledge. Just Nissan LEAF, and Renault Zoe, Twizy and Fluence.

The new Renault Zoe ZE50 is only sold with the battery included now. You cannot lease the battery pack at all.

It sounds like you've already got a car in mind and are leaning towards the hybrid model of it specifically. Which model is that, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys - funnily enough im leaning towards the Tesla 3

but i have a friend with a CHR and another with a Mitsi Outlander so just trying to understand it all as much as i can

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,596 Posts

1) I don't believe there are many leased battery cars on the market in the UK now (just second hand). But yes, you sign the lease over to the new owner at the point of sale.

2) I don't know of any hybrid cars with leased batteries.

3) 'Self Charge' just mean charging from the ICE. All hybrids will do this, but this reduces efficiency. For local journeys you can usually drive around on all electric up to say 25 miles with a plug-in hybrid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts