Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

When switching on the GTE, it is defaulted to start in electric. But a message appears on a dash for few seconds saying "Hybrid mode: engine starting!".

Why would it say that when in full EV mode?

Is it purely for information?

·
Registered
690 Posts
If the petrol engine has not run for a period of time the car will turn it over to make sure everything remains lubricated. This gives the message you are seeing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't run it for about a week. Do you know what this period could be? I ran it in GTE mode yesterday for about an hour, driving for around 40km in the city. I'll see the next time this message appears.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Not sure. I don't know if it is solely time based, or whether there are other sensors involved in the decision to spin up the engine.

Note it does not actually start the engine (you don't hear the engine running). I think it just turns the engine over for long enough to generate oil pressure and distribute oil to where it is needed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's what I thought because I cannot hear the actual engine running. Perhaps the engine is connected to the gearbox and it just spins as the wheels rotate so it can "work" for a while like you said.

Thanks. I thought this was some sort of error or fault.

Edit: so driving it today, after driving in GTE yesterday, the same message appears. I guess it's just there to lubricate the engine with oil in case you switch to a hybrid at some stage during the drive. So looks like it's going to do it every time you start the car.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Not sure, but I think my car only does it when I turn the ignition on before the car moves.

It does not do it every time I start the car - as well as time it may factor in how likely it thinks I am to use the engine - most of my trips are all electric, so maybe it thinks it does not need to do so. All guess work really.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Sounds a good idea to me to turn the engine over. My ICE sits in the drive for weeks on end without being started, and last time it started with the most awful racket. Apparently, it has a hydraulic chain tensioner, which had obviously lost its pressure. I've put some Molyslip in the oil now to add a bit of protection.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would understand if the car wasn't driven in ICE for a long time, a space of week or two, say. But I do drive my car in hybrid at least once a week but the message still appears. So not really sure as to what could be causing this message to appear. I've driven 40kms again today in hybrid, and I'm sure I'll get this message tomorrow morning when I start the car in electric.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts