Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Where’s the motivation? They’ll never make any money from EV with the customer base they cater for.
Could maybe make that case with Jaguar, but not Land Rover. Traditional buyers include farmers, who are already well accustomed to machines with high upfront costs that pay off in the long run and often already use solar and time-of-use energy tariffs, and families for the school run, who are likely to want to show off green credentials and be able to sit with the vehicle idling.

An electric Defender or Range Rover could have absolutely cleaned up.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Remember it JLR and Jaguar have the I Pace and would have had the new all electric XJ if someone hadnt pulled the plug on them! All very strange

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
405 Posts
Where’s the motivation? They’ll never make any money from EV with the customer base they cater for.
why do you say this???
If various companies can sell farming equipment in low volumes, which costs >£100K and are used for 4 weeks of the year... and they can make a profit from a niche market, why cant JLR sell an EV to farmers which will be used daily and cost less to run and maintain than their current landrover?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,356 Posts
In my experience many farmers have two strong characteristics. They're fairly conservative. This is understandable - why would you change things that work when the cost of failure is very high? They're business minded - If it increases yield/profit or reduces costs, and you can prove that, they'll go for it. They don't burn diesel because they love burning diesel. They may not pay huge taxes on it but the big machines use a lot of it and it's a significant cost. The only reason they do it is because they're not presented with an alternative. If you offer them an alternative that does the job they need and the numbers stack up, it'll happen.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
405 Posts
In my experience many farmers have two strong characteristics. They're fairly conservative. This is understandable - why would you change things that work when the cost of failure is very high? They're business minded - If it increases yield/profit or reduces costs, and you can prove that, they'll go for it. They don't burn diesel because they love burning diesel. They may not pay huge taxes on it but the big machines use a lot of it and it's a significant cost. The only reason they do it is because they're not presented with an alternative. If you offer them an alternative that does the job they need and the numbers stack up, it'll happen.
very true... oh and if grants make it cost effective is the other thing... they apply for every subsidy they can get that helps them!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,136 Posts
JLR have lost the market for Farmers - around here the Farmers use things like Gators, Mules and L200s for farm work, and Amoraks, Touraegs, Q7s etc for best. I've yet to see one with a "new" Defender - those are the preserve of the "townies" buying homes in the country. If they want a premium SUV EV they'd go for the e-Tron, but there aren't many of those around here.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Yeah that's a good point. The big pickup is definitely the vehicle of choice. Goes anywhere you need it to and significant towing capacity.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I can understand them for farmers and some trades. Most folk who drive them, nope.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Ah, was referring to the massive pick ups… not the small by comparison landy

41 - 56 of 56 Posts