Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

421 - 440 of 460 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,026 Posts
"A big bang" tends to imply a leak into an enclose space, until the lower explosive limit was reached.

Very shoddy not to have systems to detect that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't get me wrong EV's have their share of issues too (in terms of safety), I believe there has been a few eTron battery fires (and Teslas too). Just slightly less go boomy ness...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
They're issues with rare individual cars though, rather than the station itself. Looking at National Renewable Energy Lab data, in the US, there's been a hydrogen leak for every 1091 fills, of which 65% became incidents or near-misses.
Wow that's a great resource. Tons of data.
A mean of 15 fills between failures. Yikes.
https://www.nrel.gov/hydrogen/assets/images/cdp-infr-59.jpg
A leak every 274 fills on this if I'm reading it right
https://www.nrel.gov/hydrogen/assets/images/cdp-infr-62.jpg

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
So many people over on pistonheads believe it's the future. Almost all of them quote that bloody top gear episode.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
I was also very surprised to see that there are only two hydrogen stations in the United States with on-site electrolysis, and even those supplement their supply with off-site deliveries. Presumably all the rest is steam reformed methane.

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
A bit more info on this:
STATUS REGARDING THE Kjørbo INCIDENT:

IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW THESE DETAILS IN ORDER EVERYONE CAN IMPROVE THEIR JOBS IN HYDROGEN FIELD. Thanks to NEL for sharing this information.

Experience and the best practices manufacturing High Pressure Tanks are very important.

Nel received a report of an incident involving a fire at the Kjørbo hydrogen station outside Oslo, Norway, at 17:40 CEST on June 10, 2019. The fire was contained just after 20:00 CEST. Immediately upon receiving notification, Nel mobilized its crisis response team in Norway and Denmark.

Current status

The root cause of the incident has been identified as an assembly error of a specific plug in a hydrogen tank in the high-pressure storage unit. This led to a hydrogen leak, creating a mixture of hydrogen and air that ignited. The investigations will continue into the specific source of ignition.
So no leak tests performed and the H2 sensor didn’t work?

·
Registered
154 Posts
So many people over on pistonheads believe it's the future. Almost all of them quote that bloody top gear episode.
Not just ph either. I had our local tyre fitter lecture me about a hydrogen future and then one of our neighbours mentioned it too. I asked them both if they've ordered one yet? .....Silence

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
On the face of it, the only thing driving the H2 fanbase is that a car can be re-fuelled in 5 minutes. That itself is a bit of a myth but they are able to ignore any such facts.

In reality, it is Governments pushing for this as they would again be in total control of delivery and able to extract tax revenue - as they are able to do with existing fuels.

Once EV charging speeds and car ranges become more acceptable they will find it hard to maintain credibility over the H2 push for domestic car use. And that is quite apart from the huge disparity in cost per mile for each fuel.

There is much to be said for bus/lorry/train use of H2 of course where the operator can hold stocks at depots and re-fill to suit their logistical demands. But in the short to medium term, any organisation making H2 cars or attempting to install filling stations will lose a lot of capital in such ventures once the general public recognises the large cost to buy and run them compared to next-generation EVs.

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
Once EV charging speeds and car ranges become more acceptable they will find it hard to maintain credibility over the H2 push for domestic car use.
We’re kind of there once we have 250 kW charging.

This results in a car with 300 mile range that will top up to 80% in 20 minutes or so.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Looks like LPG to me..
Yep, definitely LPG. The car had been in a crash and badly repaired. There was something wrong with the way it had been repaired that caused the accident, but I don't have time to find the original article at the moment.
Hydrogen pumps don't tend to be next to normal petrol pumps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
500 miles refuelled in 5 seconds or it can't match my diesel tank!
That would have been a competitive rate of refuelling for F1 cars back in the day! Can't say I miss the time spent at fuel stations since going EV. Charging overnight for about 95% of my usage takes none of my time at all. The other 5% spent at Superchargers is quite relaxing and I usually go for a quick walk around and a coffee in the 30 mins or so I'm there. No need to stand there filling it.

421 - 440 of 460 Posts