Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

441 - 460 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts

Not read the full article but the bits I have glanced over makes interesting reading!
My take away from that article is that we can’t afford to convert the transport to hydrogen as we just don’t have the capacity to do so, certainly not cleanly. They say that we’d need an enormous amount of generating capacity just to cope with current industrial demand for hydrogen.
I quote - “Producing all of today’s dedicated hydrogen output from electricity would result in an electricity demand of 3 600 TWh, more than the total annual electricity generation of the European Union.”

·
Militant EV driver!
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #444 (Edited)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,035 Posts
I did not pursue it, I did not think I was going to get better results. I could see the 'framed' result they were getting, so left them to it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Not really news but people might want a read of the Mirai Owners Group public FB page (no FB login required) - I feel so very sorry for these people. Clearly some very unhappy campers.

·
Registered
11,017 Posts
Some of the quotes are a bit shocking:

The good news is people are buying Mirais. The bad news is people are buying Mirais and it is obvious when you go to the pump. I am finishing up my three year lease in December. Each year I put fewer miles on the car because I can’t get fuel when I need it. Thankfully I have a second car. If I do not get fuel before work, I can’t get fuel. My best bet is when I take my husband to LAX once a week and stop by Long Beach at about 5:00 AM. I save enough fuel for my weekly airport run. This week I came up short and sat out on La Palma in Anaheim blocking traffic to get .7 after 1 hour 23 minutes. This is no way to live.
My friend has a Mirai. Getting hydrogen has gone from difficult to impossible. Toyota won’t let him out of the lease. As a long time Toyota driver - 3 or 4 Priuses over the years - he is amazed at how badly he is being treated. What gives? Has anyone been able to end their lease now that H2 is unavailable?
Re: fuel SHORTAGES, vs breakdowns, in the LA area:
If you check either in the app, or at https://cafcp.org/stationmap, it gives details behind each station.
Most stations are "H2 delivery", and have a limited daily capacity.
At the La Canada station. Came early morning in hopes of getting some hydrogen. Sadly I'll be late for work again. 4 Mirai's in front of me. I know the pump will freeze before I get to it. I know I'll have to wait several minutes for it to thaw out. But I have no choice. If I don't get hydrogen, I won't be able to get back home after work. It was such a mistake to lease this vehicle. I just pray and hope it won't run out of hydrogen as I get to the front like it happened to me last time. 🙁
Sounds like many of them won't be renewing their lease at the end of three years and maybe buying a Tesla.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
No chance of a charge at home or plugging in a socket at work for a slow top up.
But, but, but, hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and it only takes 3 minutes to fuel the car, and you just use excess renewables to get hydrogen, and it’s the future of transport. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I have watched various gasses being decanted into storage cylinders over the years and they always create a load of mist and freeze the fill pipe.
It would be interesting to watch a number of cars filling "in 3 minutes", one after the other as is often stated. 🥶

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I have watched various gasses being decanted into storage cylinders over the years and they always create a load of mist and freeze the fill pipe.
It would be interesting to watch a number of cars filling "in 3 minutes", one after the other as is often stated. 🥶
There’s the freezing issue (especially in high humidity/rain) where the filling handle can become frozen to the car, you have to wait a few minutes for it to warm up (definitely don’t try to force it off as you’ll damage the handle or your car).
Then there’s the re-compression time of the pre-fill tank for the pump.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Excellent twitter thread about the issues facing FCEV drivers.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

441 - 460 of 460 Posts