Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had to take a trip for work yesterday - North of Sheff to Coventry, 95 miles each way so a 190 mile round trip.
My spring/summer average for the last 5000k miles is showing 5.8 mpkWh and the car's indicated range was 210+ miles so I thought I'd give the Ioniq 38.3 a go.

Being slightly beyond the range comfort zone (and importantly, on works time) I thought I'd try hypermiling it to be sure of success: Adjusting route to avoid hills and reduce distance going through Sheffield, flow driving techniques, tyres 2psi overinflated, 62mph motorway, naughty slipstreaming large vehicles but nothing ludicrously close. Conditions were close to ideal; dry, temperature in the teens °C, roads uncongested.

Ended up using 36% on the way there and 37% on the way back, so 27% remaining after a 190 mile motorway trip.
Indicated trip efficiency was 6.8 mpk.
Extrapolated, the range would be 260 miles 100 - 0%.

Keen to hear all about yours' efficiency bad or good (but especially if it beats this in some way)!

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR. Mini Electric on order
1,215 Posts
I’ve not hypermiled since having a full EV. I wonder whether it’s becoming something of a lost art since batteries got bigger, but perhaps people will consider it again as costs increase?

I’ve averaged a fraction under 4 miles per kWh over the last year, which I’m fairly happy with. Your post emphasises what a fantastically efficient ev the ioniq is compared to pretty much everything else - hypermiling or otherwise.

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
801 Posts
Extrapolated, the range would be 260 miles 100 - 0%.
Farther than my ID.4 (average = 3.3 mpkWh) with literally half the battery (38.3 vs 77 kWh) - pretty damn impressive! (I did drive my ID.4 356 miles on a single charge once, just to see how far I could go, but even at my best I only managed 4.7 mpkWh...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
even at my best I only managed 4.7 mpkWh...)
To be fair you are shifting 1.3X the weight around - adjusting for that alone gives an equivalent 6.2 "miles per kWh per Ioniq 38.3 mass" .. did you have the patience to sit behind HGV's at 60mph all the way though?

It was surprising to find the usual range can be stretched by +25% or so.

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
801 Posts
To be fair you are shifting 1.3X the weight around - adjusting for that alone gives an equivalent 6.2 "miles per kWh per Ioniq 38.3 mass" .. did you have the patience to sit behind HGV's at 60mph all the way though?

It was surprising to find the usual range can be stretched by +25% or so.
I wasn't quite hypermiling - no overinflation of tyres, no concerted effort to draft lorries or anything. I did avoid motorways, focusing on local roads (drove straight through London) and slower A-roads. I'm fairly confident I could hit 400 miles in a "proper" test (over two very hot days, full hypermiling), but as even this almost-proper test took around 17 hours, I don't think I'd survive it!

·
Registered
Ioniq 28kWh
1,736 Posts
Down to 3.5 m/kWh going through torrential rain, standing water, cold weather and loosing 2 miles range every mile travelled but got to Instavolt Dumfries with about 8% left, from Carnforth, over Shap on M6.

·
Registered
Ioniq
938 Posts
The thing that most surprises me about the Ioniq is how going at motorway speeds doesn't seem to make all that much of a difference to its efficiency. At lower speeds our Zoe would return 4+mpkwh without too much bother and get the same range as the ioniq but at motorway speeds it plummeted into the mid threes; the ioniq however drops very little and can still get high 4s. It's fantastic because inevitably the longest journeys are generally ones on faster roads which is exactly where you most need the efficiency.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts