Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Getting a new Hypervolt charger installed in a couple of weeks - haven't seen much about it (think it's pretty new) so wondered if anyone had any experience of it? The installer who's doing it for us has one himself and says he's really pleased with it, but be great to hear of any other views on it.

Hypervolt

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not seen that one before.

What I struggled to understand with a lot of these companies though, is why they think that white is a good colour for a large object attached to the front of your house?!

Probably the reason that I will end up with an Andersen!

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
608 Posts
Not seen that one before.

What I struggled to understand with a lot of these companies though, is why they think that white is a good colour for a large object attached to the front of your house?!

Probably the reason that I will end up with an Andersen!
I know, not sure why so much design thought needs to go into these when it's effectively just an outdoor plug socket, we don't tend to advertise our outside plug sockets to all and sundry, they are usually just a discreet grey box!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,018 Posts
They do all look terrible. I’ve got a ProjectEV and although the front of it is black, it’s flipping ugly and always lit up too.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,521 Posts
Do you mind sharing the price? Roughly?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mind sharing the price? Roughly?
Sure - been quoted £550 for my basic install with it running directly from my meter cupboard.

We’d originally booked to have an EO Mini, but there isn’t enough space in the cupboard to hide the extra bit of kit required for that so we’d need an extra box on the wall for it, so that would have basically negated the benefit of it being small, plus made it more expensive.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,521 Posts
Thanks @Leemo!

One more question, does it need earthing rod?

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
202 Posts
That looks really neat with cable management and made in UK (yea!)

I have contacted chargepoint EV in Nottingham to get a quote as we are going to need a charge point installed in the next couple of months.

I noticed on their website that wifi and bluetooth are going to be enabled in March 2021. Is this a totally new product that has not been installed yet around the country I wonder?

I really like the idea of the adjustable brightness for the logo on the front - very cool for the courtyard area of our house.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all

Just an update on this in case anyone is interested or other people come looking for info on this charger... as there’s hardly anything out there about it at the moment.

Install was done this morning - by Simon at Green Leaf EV in Birmingham, would defo recommend - and I’m really chuffed with how clean and simple it looks. He managed to get all the cabling into the wall cavity and hide everything else in the meter box. Couldn’t be neater!

Works great with my ID3 from my limited testing this morning (even with the ‘preferred hours’ options on the car software that some people have had issues with on other charger combinations).

The app for the charger is due out later this month, so at the moment there’s a simple little config site where you can see your usage and set the hours you’d like to charge - and yes, change the brightness of the lights!

But yes - really pleased so far.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,521 Posts
That looks really cool without the cables running to it!

I'm not sure about the light though, so brightness adjustments is needed. What is the lowest setting? Is there a full OFF or there is always some light? What does it look in the night for example?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks really cool without the cables running to it!

I'm not sure about the light though, so brightness adjustments is needed. What is the lowest setting? Is there a full OFF or there is always some light? What does it look in the night for example?
There is a full ‘off‘ setting, so if you don’t like the lights you can just turn it all off. When it gets dark I’m going to have a play with brightness settings, I should imagine I’ll just leave it off or on very low - there’s different colours for its different states, so it can be helpful!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,521 Posts
... there’s different colours for its different states, so it can be helpful!
Now that makes sense, and can be very useful! Thanks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the update. I was contacted by chargepoint EV who said that supply was limited at the moment but we have a couple of months to get a charger sorted. I did see that they are nowing talking about he Hypervolt Home 2.0 but I don't know if that is the name of the present unit or if there have been any changes.

Keep us updated about the charger!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the update. I was contacted by chargepoint EV who said that supply was limited at the moment but we have a couple of months to get a charger sorted. I did see that they are nowing talking about he Hypervolt Home 2.0 but I don't know if that is the name of the present unit or if there have been any changes.

Keep us updated about the charger!
The 2.0 is the current unit :)

After looking at it in the dark last night I decided just to turn the lights off. It is quite dim on the lowest setting but I decided I didn’t really need a glowing blue beacon on the side of the house!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I like the idea of the glowing light as it would look good in the courtyard of our house.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone, full disclosure I am the owner and founder of Hypervolt.

@Leemo we are very pleased you are enjoying the unit. @Gailjon new stock is in now, we can book an install for you next week if you haven't already done so.

@Todor the lowest brightness setting is 0%, but there are 4 levels, you can set that using the dashboard, or the upcoming mobile app.

The colors are useful because they tell you about the state of the charger, we wanted to have a color-only interaction so you know exactly what's going on without pulling your phone out or looking at the car. In that way it's very useful and simple, however, you can turn it down to suit your needs.

@Ascot17 there is a matt grey/black variant coming out very soon! Many people really love the look of our units, but we can definitely understand why not everyone would be pleased with the white color. Hold on tight and new color schemes will be available very soon!

Any other questions you may have, I am at your disposal!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,521 Posts
@Leemo Any updates?

I'm probably buying a charger in the next couple of days...and the Hypervolt is on the list.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Leemo Any updates?

I'm probably buying a charger in the next couple of days...and the Hypervolt is on the list.
Nothing major to report really! It’s just there doing what it’s told :)

The app isn’t out yet, so if you want to change settings you do it on their site, but it’s a nice enough interface.

Would definitely recommend. It’s a nice looking charger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Todor @Leemo App is already in beta, we're expecting it to be in App Store before the end of this month. We are using it at the factory all the time now. @Leemo Web dashboard v3 will also be out very soon, a completely revamped experience, so you can enjoy a webapp that looks just as good as your charger!

That being said, we are able to release the beta to users in private access mode should any be interested. Everything that's critical is already heavily tested, yet there may be the occasional small quick that is still getting polished.

@Todor I am the founder of Hypervolt, and I will say out of 1000s of customers, 99.9% of our customers never need to reach out for anything, the charger will do what it needs to do. We have 5-star reviews throughout, and even though not many as we are a newer company, we work very very hard to keep that true.

You have mainland support, and you can even talk directly to me as the CEO personally, here or otherwise should you ever have questions or in the highly unlikely event that you experience any problems at all. Unlike the competition, we will be around 2AM on Sunday morning to take care of things, and we'd probably be busy working on the next feature even if the phone wouldn't ring, and that's the major thing Hypervolt can offer you that perhaps few others can, we take it all very seriously, both the engineering and support.

We hope this helps with your decision, and should you decide to go for us, we're looking forward to your Instagram post of your beautiful new Hypervolt Charger!

Regards,
Flavian

1 - 20 of 56 Posts