Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One option for my next car is the i3 REX. But if I choose it it has to be capable of fulfilling all my needs. One such requirement is to go fetch my mother (87) when she comes to stay for Christmas - and then to take her home again.

She lives in Ashby de la Zouch Leics, I live in Purley Surrey. I currently do the trip in my Toyota Celica during the day. It is M23 then round the M25 to the M40 - up the M40 and then M42 before leaving a couple of miles from her house. Return the opposite direction, or if I want a change of scenery, we leave her house, join the M1 just North of Leicester and come down that to the M25. That is about 150 miles each way a total of 300 miles. I normally start with a full tank, and fill up once at the supermarket near her house. I am not too concerned about speed, so I am normally cruising at 70 mph, rather than needing to push it.

Is it feasible to start with a full tank of fuel and fully charged, switch on the Range Extender at 70% SOC and then repeatedly fill up the fuel tank when necessary. From reading the experiences I can find on the internet - it seems that you can just about hold the charge with the Range Extender at 70mph, but am I correct. I am thinking that I would need to fill on the way up at about Coventry Services, again at the supermarket at her house and then once more at around Oxford Services coming back. At this point maybe switch of the RE and use the battery until it dropped low before finishing the journey on RE again to ensure I got home. I might be able to do a small charge (only with 13 amp plug option) whilst at her house having a cup of tea before returning, but I almost assume that the amount I can charge in that time is so small as to be irrelevant.

Assuming my conjecture is correct, it is a bit inconvenient, but not excessively so.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Get a fast charger at her place (if the subsidy is still going, it's almost free) to add a few more electrons.

But even without that, your plan is sound. I do a similar trip occasionally and have survived so far. I always try and arrive home with full petrol tank and empty batteries.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Don't think she can have a charger unless she has an EV (or proof of one on order). Part of the clamp down aimed to reduce abuse.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
You put your 87 year old mum in a Toyota Celica?

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You put your 87 year old mum in a Toyota Celica?
Although it is low, and she does struggle a bit to get in and I have to help her in and out, once in, its amazingly comfortable. The doors are big too - so even though she can't really bend her legs much at the knees she can still get her legs into the footwell. I would say its much harder to get up into the big SUVs.

The real big thing about long journeys in this car is that because you sit down low, your legs are straight and as a result don't ache at the joints.

My wife has knee problems and loves the car. I love it too, but its 10 years old, you can't buy them anymore and its time to move on.

·
BMW i3 Rex
216 Posts
Is it feasible to start with a full tank of fuel and fully charged, switch on the Range Extender at 70% SOC and then repeatedly fill up the fuel tank when necessary. From reading the experiences I can find on the internet - it seems that you can just about hold the charge with the Range Extender at 70mph, but am I correct.
You are correct. Earlier this year - before there were any CCS (rapid) chargers en the route - we did Durham to Leighton Buzzard (220m) starting with full tanks and filling up twice and later returning from Dorking to Durham (290m) filling three times. We have to stop for bladder/dog walking/driver change etc. so this is only slightly more inconvenient than we used to do in the ICE. I do motorway cruising at 65 with bursts to 70ish as required for overtaking because 65 is noticeably more economical than 70.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,593 Posts
One option for my next car is the i3 REX. But if I choose it it has to be capable of fulfilling all my needs. One such requirement is to go fetch my mother (87) when she comes to stay for Christmas - and then to take her home again.

She lives in Ashby de la Zouch Leics, I live in Purley Surrey. I currently do the trip in my Toyota Celica during the day. It is M23 then round the M25 to the M40 - up the M40 and then M42 before leaving a couple of miles from her house. Return the opposite direction, or if I want a change of scenery, we leave her house, join the M1 just North of Leicester and come down that to the M25. That is about 150 miles each way a total of 300 miles. I normally start with a full tank, and fill up once at the supermarket near her house. I am not too concerned about speed, so I am normally cruising at 70 mph, rather than needing to push it.

Is it feasible to start with a full tank of fuel and fully charged, switch on the Range Extender at 70% SOC and then repeatedly fill up the fuel tank when necessary

Assuming my conjecture is correct, it is a bit inconvenient, but not excessively so.
Longest day trip I have done so far without a charge is 240 miles, I activate pet REX at earliest point when I know no public charge available then let petrol run out then fill up at next station, this works well enough then when in range of home use up battery left, no problem just quick stops for fuel.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Longest day trip I have done so far without a charge is 240 miles, I activate pet REX at earliest point when I know no public charge available then let petrol run out then fill up at next station, this works well enough then when in range of home use up battery left, no problem just quick stops for fuel.
Is it advised by BMW to let the i3 REX completely run out of petrol repeatedly? I would have thought that a no no.

M

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
Is it advised by BMW to let the i3 REX completely run out of petrol repeatedly? I would have thought that a no no.

M
Should not be a problem on a new car, but give it a few years to accumulate a good quantity of gunk in the tank then it might not such a good idea

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,593 Posts

M
Why is that? Built by design for this option use of REX.

·
Registered
67 Posts

M
I think the REx fuel tank is cleverer than your average fuel tank. I think it retains a teaspoon in the system rather than actually running dry. Pressurised for accurate contents measurement, or something. Certainly, I'd expected spluttering and rough running when I first refilled from empty - but, no, transition to engine was as seamless and virtually undetectable as always.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts