Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Time to change my 67 Ioniq then.
I haven't watched all the presentation (it's a slog as a lot of it is not in English...hence why I included John's commentary on it) but I don't think any cars using this platform will be on sale for about 4 years ? It's great to see they're developing an all new BEV focused platform though, if they can achieve what they already did on a shared ICE platform in terms of range and efficiency imagine what they can do with a dedicated BEV platform. Definitely one to watch in the coming years and hopefully puts an end to the "Hyundai and Kia BEV's are just compliance cars" claim which you sometimes hear.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
For those like me that prefer words to videos below is Autocar article. Has been known for a while it was coming as the current ICE derived platform is too expensive to build, particularly labour costs.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
2 good new features might be
a) Hyundai claims this is partly a result of a more compact cooling system, which uses oil rather than water.
So not using this new expensive cooling fluid?

b) HMG has also done away with the conventional on-board charger that features in its current crop of EVs for a new Integrated Charging Control Unit (ICCU) that allows electricity to flow in both directions, allowing the E-GMP platform to be used as a power source for external electric machinery - including other electric cars. This new "vehicle-to-load" (V2L) function can supply up to 3.5kW of power.

Excellent for my solar PV, just plug the car in, let it charge on solar and give power at night.

Not wanting the 38Kw Ioniq nor the Kona, avoiding the VW id3, I will wait at see what they deliver in the next 2 years. I have a 5 year warranty so no rush to change.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
2 good new features might be
a) Hyundai claims this is partly a result of a more compact cooling system, which uses oil rather than water.
So not using this new expensive cooling fluid?
The use of oil cooling was specifically in the motor where oil from the gearbox sump was essentially pumped and sprayed into the motor.

I didn't see any mention of battery cooling using oil and I very much doubt there would be an oil circuit from the motor and gearbox which was shared with the battery.

They're not the first to use oil as the cooling medium for the motor - the Chevy Bolt of all things was one of the first perhaps the first production EV to do this. I think the Tesla Model 3 uses this approach too with an oil/coolant heat exchanger. The more traditional approach is to have coolant jackets directly in the stator housing similar to a combustion engine.

Oil is a better approach as the oil can be allowed to flow through the actual motor windings where the heat is produced as it is both a lubricant and (using the right type of oil) non-conductive, whereas coolant has to be inside a coolant channel/jacket to keep it away from the high voltage and prevent corrosion so is not directly cooling the motor windings, just the housing they're in.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Looks like they're going for 800v battery, and a trick similar to the Zoe of using the motor windings as part of a booster to charge from normal 400v rapids.

As well as the internal socket, interesting pic of a type 2 plug with a 16A Shuko socket on the back - this suggests it might be possible to have a 2-way EVSE to automatically power domestic loads.

·
Registered
592 Posts
108/150 of the Ioniq 5 have been reserved so far in Austria, if they chose to launch in the UK instead then I bet all of the 150 would have been reserved in the first day.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Some leaks on specs at link below and looks interesting, especially charging speed, but really depends on cost

1 - 15 of 15 Posts