Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Newbie researching before buying)

I have the Ioniq and Soul in my shortlist, and like both - not yet driven either. But I have just seen the recall and battery fire reports from last October. What's the actual situation behind these (as opposed to tabloid fear-mongering)?

·
Registered
430 Posts
The Kia’s (Niro, Soul) use SK Innovation batteries. It’s LG Chem batteries in Kona and Chevy Bolt that have so far been subject to issues.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Just looked on howmanyleft. It shows 1185 new registrations in 2020, mine was registered Sept 2019, probably one of the first of the 38s. Total registered at end of Q3 2020 is 1706. Is that all the Ioniq Bevs on UK roads? The referenced link above mentions 5716 Ioniqs to be re-batteried. Surely, global sales of the 38 are more than that, no? Maybe there's only a subset of the NCM 622 batteries that need fixing? Hmmmmm.....

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
The referenced link above mentions 5716 Ioniqs to be re-batteried. Surely, global sales of the 38 are more than that, no? Maybe there's only a subset of the NCM 622 batteries that need fixing? Hmmmmm.....
Have they dual-/multi-sourced the battery? Certainly for the stuff I design, it is quite common for a customer to define the software and hardware interfaces and get a few companies to design and make parts that are (from a blackbox perspective) identical and drop in replacements for each other. Useful for risk management (and price negotiation power :mad:). Doing the same for a battery park doesn't seem ridiculous.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,256 Posts
Notice on Hyundai website in Korean gives dates of affected cars:

현대자동차

[Please note]

This is to inform Kona Electric/Ioniq Electric/Electic customers.

Among the electric vehicles produced and sold by our company for a certain period of time, a defect that could lead to a vehicle fire was found due to a short circuit (short circuit) inside the battery cells due to defective manufacturing of some battery cells produced at LG Energy Solutions' China (Nanjing) factory.
Accordingly, Hyundai Motor Company plans to voluntarily recall for the safety of its customers.

This recall is an operation to replace the high voltage battery system assembly (BSA), and the target vehicles are as follows.
-Kona Electric: Vehicles manufactured from May 11, 2018 to March 13, 2020
-Ionic Electric: Vehicles manufactured from May 2, 2019 to November 30, 2019
-Electic: Vehicles produced from November 16, 2017 to March 11, 2020
※ For vehicles equipped with battery cells that do not apply the insulation coating on the positive terminal part of LG Energy Solutions Co., Ltd.'s China (Nanjing) factory

Target vehicle customers can receive measures from Hyundai Motor Service Centers or Blue Hands nationwide, and Hyundai Motor Company will do its best to prepare parts in advance so that customers can receive battery replacement smoothly.

Due to the battery material supply schedule, the recall will take place sequentially after 2021.03.29, and details regarding service reservations will be informed to customers through the Hyundai Motor Company Customer Center (02-3488-0010) as soon as possible.

In addition, for Kona Electric and Ioniq Electric customers, adjusting the battery charge rate to 90% before battery replacement is effective in reducing the possibility of fire. You can set the charging rate in the Blue Link app or in the vehicle, and refer to the video below for how to adjust the vehicle. [Video check]

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused to customers, and Hyundai Motor Company promises to do its best for customers with a responsible attitude to actively take any single problem.”

·
Banned
367 Posts
I hope that the bad batteries will be reused in some safe-fail applications, otherwise these BEV’s will not have a positive impact on the environment.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw an Ioniq photo that showed a date of manufacture on a sticker in a door jamb. Not sure which one (haven't got my Ioniq yet!)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Similar failure mode to the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. Batteries expanding slightly under charging stress, and due to their polymer/flexible construction this can lead to a short circuit.

Surprising that they can't figure out which vehicles are more likely to encounter this but perhaps it is truly randomly distributed. Expensive lesson.

Pouch cells like this are used across the industry, even the new VW vehicles are using them...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts