Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been announced Hyundai is to become a shareholder in the Ionity fast charging network. They will be joining Ford, BMW and VW in the Ionity partnership. This can only be good news....and may mean most if not all future Hyundai and Kia EV's become rapid (350kw) charge capable.
Ionity have already opened two 350kw charging stations in the UK, and plan to open a further 10 by the end of 2019.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Currently, no car can charge at 150KW.

Currently available batteries do not fare well when they are charged in less than an hour, so car manufacturers are limiting charge rates to provide a long lifespan.

Cars with 100KWH battery may be configured to peak at 150KW, but this will not be sustained.

Cars with 50KWH battery may see peaks of 75KW or so, but not 150KW.

It will be many, many years before we see EV's that can fully charge faster than 30 minutes.

Things could be done to improve charge rates, and lower degradation, but they are costly, in terms of £, volume and weight. All these are generally detrimental to a vehicle, of any sort.

The original Zoe was the fastest charging car, from 0 to 100% in 33 minutes, under ideal conditions. 22KWH battery charged at 43KW, sustained from 10% to 93%

·
Registered
867 Posts
350kW charging is only for 800V cars, my Ioniq is 28kWh and does up to 70kW, the new one is to be 38kWh but has lower charging speed? Getting slower.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
It really is pointless continuing. I was quite clear in what I wrote, no car can charge at the advertised rates, they are simply peak rates, which may not occur given unfavourable conditions, and if they do, will not be from 10 to 90 percent, but over a far narrower range.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What tosh. You made a serious of single statements, separated by line breaks. The first, third and fourth are demonstrably wrong as they stand, and that’s what we’ve pointed out.

No, no EV (that I’m aware of) charges at its peak rate from 0 to 100%. But you didn’t say that.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
It really is pointless continuing. I was quite clear in what I wrote, no car can charge at the advertised rates, they are simply peak rates, which may not occur given unfavourable conditions, and if they do, will not be from 10 to 90 percent, but over a far narrower range.
I'm afraid the new generation of cars has put you out of date.
The e-tron might not be particularly efficient but it's charge rates are impressive.
Technically you're right in that it's "only" 150kW to 80% not 90% :)
https://electrek.co/2018/12/18/audi-e-tron-155-kw-fast-charge-rate/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
MetalHead
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing