Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have been in contact via the phone to my local dealer since the launch of the Ioniq 5 (which seems soooo long ago) so I arranged to go down this morning to give them my Retention Documentation for my Private Plates so they can register the car under that Number.

All well and good - Handed it over and said can you make sure the made up plates for the car are the Green Electric Car ones - "Oh" was the reply - you want those ones

I then asked if they had any info about my car, or the ones coming into the dealership - Reply - We have heard nothing from Hyundai, we keep asking as we are getting customers in asking about the Ioniq 5 (as they have seen the adverts on TV) but we cannot tell them anything. We keep asking Hyundai but we have heard nothing.

There also seemed to be a lack of any posters, literature, boards saying about the launch of the Ioniq 5.

They had no info (apart from what I had told them) about servicing, servicing packages, when the car will be at the dealer, how many they are getting, test drives etc - You get the Picture

Are all Hyundai dealers like this - has your dealer been informed about your car etc - or am I just lucky to have this dealer?.

All my dealings for my last 6 cars have been Essex Ford KIA Dealership and they have always been extremely efficient with all my interactions with them.....

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I think they are generally ok. Not so snobbish as some marques, but still tend to treat their customers as idiots.
They all suffer from the manufacturer constantly selling 'futures', creating interest and demand that they are unable to satisfy, but meanwhile their sales of current models is undermined. At least they still have dealers, unlike for example Tesla and Polestar.
What they all have in common is a lack of accurate information and realistic dates for launches, deliveries etc.

For example, what is the exact spec of the P45, when can i have a test drive of a new Ioniq5, when will the Ioniq5 model variants be deliverable?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
One good measure of a dealer is trying to call the service dept on a Friday afternoon 😆

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Hyundai EV are about 8% of their sales, so it is still an occasional sale compared to ICE. Smile, reassure them and inform them gently. If you compare them to Ford, at least they have a range of cars to offer.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I have dealt with DSG who are definitely the gold standard when it comes to EV knowledge and just generally having competent staff and good customer service.

With that said, I have also dealt with a few Evans Halshaw Hyundai dealerships and have found them to be a close second when it comes to the service they provide. Very well organised, quick and efficient to handle a request, and unlike some other dealers they actually apply some common sense rather than making really stupid, lazy decisions, which was quite refreshing to see.

Unfortunately the vast majority of other names in the Hyundai dealer network that I have dealt with have been rather poor. For example collecting an Ioniq from an Arnold Clark dealer who threw a pair of keys across the desk at me, told me "Number plate is on the tag, you'll find it outside somewhere" and left me to it. They also kindly supplied it with just over 10% charge in the battery, which was very nice of them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most dealerships (all brands) are great until they have your order and it goes downhill rapidly from there, to be fair to Hyundai dealers they appear to have been left in the dark when it comes to Ioniq 5 the whole launch has been a bit of a shambles, the initial website for the P45 orders crashed on the first day and it took them over a week to get it going again and from memory the website was only open for a day. My dealer doesn't have any samples yet for the colours (new ioniq 5 only colours) trim etc.. even the online pdf brochure told you nothing really didn't even have a spec sheet it just shows lots of pictures of left hand drive cars with options you can't get in the UK.

It always amazes me that sales people have very limited product knowledge even on cars that have been out for a while, customer shouldn't be telling staff what the features do or what different models have or don't have. Even VIP doesn't know yet if the P45 comes with car mats or not and if mats will be available at launch to purchase.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why would you want that virtue signalling BS green stripe?
Because it's not a virtue signalling BS green stripe - There are plenty of reasons that are already in place to have it and it's MY choice if I want to have it or not.

There are some benefits to having green strip number plates, and, whilst these number plates are not a legal requirement, they are advisable for those with EVs. GOV.UK mention that 'As part of the government’s plans to achieve net zero emissions by 2050, drivers will be encouraged to make the switch to electric vehicles through the introduction of green number plates. The plates will make it easier for cars to be identified as zero emission vehicles, helping local authorities design and put in place new policies to incentivise people to own and drive them’. There are plenty of local initiatives that users can benefit from by getting these green number plates, and this includes things like cheaper parking costs, and free entry to zero-emission zones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all. This seems to be a UK based forum, so hello from across the pond. Interesting to hear about what the green plates get you. Here in Ontario the green plates can always use the HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes, which are reserved for vehicles with at least 2 people. I think the original idea was to incentivize car pooling. I'm honestly not sure if there is anything else.

Secondly, regarding dealerships. I called my local Hyundai dealer today to ask if they had any info on when pricing would be released or when they were expecting cars. Really I just wanted to get a feeling for how friendly they are. I was on hold longer between the secretary and sales rep, than the sales rep took to tell me they had no info, and then said "ok, bye". I get it, I'm in sales, he needs to sell cars today. But if there's another dealer that's not too inconvenient I may look to change who I do business with.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Seeing how little dealerships seem to know about EV’s, the 5 in particular, it does give me a little concern if you have an issue with the P45 shortly after getting it, and have to take it into the dealership for repair or sorting……

·
Registered
92 Posts
The plates will make it easier for cars to be identified as zero emission vehicles, helping local authorities design and put in place new policies to incentivise people to own and drive them’. There are plenty of local initiatives that users can benefit from by getting these green number plates, and this includes things like cheaper parking costs, and free entry to zero-emission zones.

A green stripe is not necessary to identify an EV becuase any parking system and emission zone these days has ANPR.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Seeing how little dealerships seem to know about EV’s, the 5 in particular, it does give me a little concern if you have an issue with the P45 shortly after getting it, and have to take it into the dealership for repair or sorting……
Any new model can be a nightmare for issues let alone being an EV, I have bought 2 new models in the pass and both wasn't a good experiences, one was off the road for a month waiting on parts and the other I had to use with a really noisy rear suspension until they found the issue and modified the part.

So fingers crossed on this one

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Same for us, we were early adopters for both the Tesla M3 and Polestar2, and had significant problems with both. The difference there was that neither had/have local dealer or service centres so each little problem necessitated long journeys to get help. At least Hyundai have local service support, and they have experience of the existing EV's. There could well be spares issues though....

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,589 Posts
Same for us, we were early adopters for both the Tesla M3 and Polestar2, and had significant problems with both. The difference there was that neither had/have local dealer or service centres so each little problem necessitated long journeys to get help. At least Hyundai have local service support, and they have experience of the existing EV's. There could well be spares issues though....
The mistake people make is thinking every main dealer knows how to diagnose and fix EVs.

Like Ford Mustang E owners are discovering.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My local Hyundai dealer knows nothing about the Ioniq 5. I asked them about a test drive later this year and they said they didn't even know when the Ioniq 5 would be available in this country. :unsure:

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ 5 Project 45 LR AWD
10 Posts
Hyundai UK appear to have been very poor in keeping dealers up to date with the new IONIQ 5 models. Contrast that with Kia UK, who have organised two EV6 pre-production models to be delivered to the UK and to visit every UK dealer to allow both the staff and the public to see the new cars first hand. If only Hyundai UK had been that organised…….

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hyundai UK appear to have been very poor in keeping dealers up to date with the new IONIQ 5 models. Contrast that with Kia UK, who have organised two EV6 pre-production models to be delivered to the UK and to visit every UK dealer to allow both the staff and the public to see the new cars first hand. If only Hyundai UK had been that organised…….
Apparently the EV6 pre-production models arrived by air freight!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes I have experienced quite a difference between Kia and Hyundai dealers. I am trying to decide between EV 6 and IONIQ 5. I've been to the Kia dealer EV 6 launch presentation and sat in the car whereas numerous inquiries to Hyundai dealers always result in "Don't know when any dealer will have cars to see let alone test drive". If the EV 6 wasn't so damn big I would have been able to make my mind up already.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Don't know when any dealer will have cars to see let alone test drive
Several people, including us, have had test drives already - maybe contact your local dealer directly again?
We attended an EV6 launch, but have not driven one.
My recommendation would be the I5, but don't expect the same level of Ioniq efficiency.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts