Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
Ioniq is a better car which should last longer and suffer less degradation. Its more efficient and will charge faster, so despite the smaller battery you're actually not missing out on much in terms of range.

There are very few cases where I would ever recommend the LEAF over an Ioniq.

Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
Having an upgraded leaf i would also lean towards @80698's advice. You might be able later to extend your battery using muxsan's services but Ioniq with liquid cooling should take care of you battery better over the longer term. I love my car but i only spent about 拢10-11k on it total. for that i have something which performs similar to a leaf 35kwh (if that were a thing) and i can still upgrade my main pack later when i find one from a breakers. If you are into a car which has more of a community modding it then the leaf is a good option but if you just want something that does a job well and you don't want to tinker with it then the Ioniq is a better shout pound for pound. One other plus to a leaf is that they sold more of them and so second hand bits are more plentiful from breakers yards.

Hopefully Muxsan or a similar outfit will be able to do similar upgrades for the Ioniqs/other brands. i.e. range increased battery swaps and upgrades to the rapid chargers. This is not looking so likely though. Muxsan seem to be busy enough just working on Nissans and everyone else is playing catch up, plus people worrying about range will avoid a 28kwh car and look to lease/buy a newer 64kwh and have their 300 mile or so range without compromise.

Also no rapidgate on an ioniq, but Muxsan have a fix for that too for the leaf

Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
Is an Ionic just 28kWh?
Original Ioniq is 28kWh with up to 70kW charging. Newer model is 38kWh with disappointing ~40kW charging. But the crazy efficiency of both mean they are able to compete with other models that have larger batteries.

Registered
Unsurprisingly the ioniq 28 gets my vote. Very capable and well put together. Easily does long distances with many rapid charges (as long you know there鈥檚 a working charger around)

Registered
Personally I think the prices on new and used Ioniq 28kWh models seem quite expensive for what they are, there's a few cheaper high-mileage cars on Autotrader but most are starting around 拢18k+ for cars that are 2-3 years old with a battery capacity which is already looking small compared to many existing and new EV models.

For a couple of thousand more you could get an almost brand new MG ZS and for around the 拢24-25k mark you can get new a eCorsa or e208 with 50kWh batteries and all of the extra range that provides which might be handy particularly if you hold onto your cars for the long term where battery degradation could be an issue.

Interesting video review and comparsion of the Ioniq EV vs. the hybrid on Youtube:

Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
I'd sit in both. You can't adjust the Leaf's steering wheel for reach. Don't know about the Ioniq.

A discounted corsa E or 208 isn't a bad idea but they're noticeably smaller than the Ioniq.

Registered
Personally I think the prices on new and used Ioniq 28kWh models seem quite expensive for what they are, there's a few cheaper high-mileage cars on Autotrader but most are starting around 拢18k+ for cars that are 2-3 years old with a battery capacity which is already looking small compared to many existing and new EV models.
The thing about the Ioniq is that 28kw can take you much further than it would in any other EV bar maybe the M3 due to its efficiency

Prices for used ioniqs compare well against the Leaf and if I was choosing between those two I'd choose the ioniq as the leaf will degrade faster and have a lower range in the long run plus no rapidgate on the ioniq and if you can find a 100 kw CCS it chargers super speedy.

Ioniq Vs ZS much tougher as range is similar but ZS is much bigger ioniq would be cheaper though as it's an older car.

Registered
The LEAF 40 was a larger car when I considered both in 2018 and I chose that. I had 2 years of LEAF ownership (now sold) and there are lots of good things about the vehicle...but for long journeys I would certainly favour the faster charging Ionic.

Registered
I have only driven a Leaf 40 for an hour or so - when choosing our next car 18 months ago. So cannot comment on it long term. However, at the time we had a three years old Leaf 24 so well aware of Nissan quality and efficiency. We selected the Ioniq and haven't regretted it for a moment. A very competent car that is far more efficient than our old Leaf. Unbelievably efficient. The ability to change the regen levels to suit every situation instantly by the use of the flappy paddles has proved to be both addictive and satisfying.

In fact, I recently test drove the new 2020 Ioniq with a view to changing for the bigger range but in many ways still preferred the classic Ioniq so we will hang onto it for another year or so. It's that good. Highly recommended.

42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?

For a couple of thousand more you could get an almost brand new MG ZS and for around the 拢24-25k mark you can get new a eCorsa or e208 with 50kWh batteries and all of the extra range that provides which might be handy particularly if you hold onto your cars for the long term where battery degradation could be an issue.

Interesting video review and comparsion of the Ioniq EV vs. the hybrid on Youtube:
I think what that mostly says is that people still want family size cars, not tiny ones and not ridiculous enormous cars with pitiful interior space.

Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
one more plus to a 2nd gen leaf is that v2g/v2h comes as standard out of the box. My gen1 doesnt have it but again Muxsan will in the future offer that as an upgrade for a price. problem is i don't know of a scheme that would take a 1st gen car on since they "know" it wont work, there again i haven't tried since i've not have that mod implemented on my leaf. A real chicken and egg scenario.

Registered
Depends what you need and what other vehicles you have. Ioniq didn't cut it for us due to space requirements, and we pick up our LEAF on Tuesday #excited.

It's two years old now, but Bj酶rn Nyland did an excellent review of vehicles in this segment making the point that many of his ratings and his overall ranking are subjective. From the end of that video:

We have an ICE car that will be used for long journeys and isn't going away any time soon, so don't care about the LEAF's slower charging and lack of active battery cooling. The space is what swung it for us, but your priorities may be different.

Registered
Depends what you need and what other vehicles you have. Ioniq didn't cut it for us due to space requirements, and we pick up our LEAF on Tuesday #excited.

It's two years old now, but Bj酶rn Nyland did an excellent review of vehicles in this segment making the point that many of his ratings and his overall ranking are subjective. From the end of that video:

View attachment 134108

We have an ICE car that will be used for long journeys and isn't going away any time soon, so don't care about the LEAF's slower charging and lack of active battery cooling. The space is what swung it for us, but your priorities may be different.
Worth pointing out that Bjorn's videos are all based on Norway vehicle specs, and some specs vary between markets.

For example his chart says the Leaf has a battery heater. Not in the UK it doesn't! Always double check the specs of UK vehicles when comparing.

Registered
It depends on the use case.

For me id always go Leaf as theres still too many random issues stranding people or forcing them onto type2 for charging on long trips thanks to the CCS standard being a bit ambiguous.

James & Kate, Jonathon Portland and Another that i forget the name of did a race in a 30, 40 & Ioniq and the charging issues faced by the ioniq are enough of a swinging point for me. And a lack of app, and LKA vs Pro Pilot, and then to add even more... Hyundai average garages have even less clue about full EV's than nissan ones :D

Registered
@Kingpleb1 the Nissan app is laughable. so if you really wanted those features in either car you would get the ovms odb device installed on either car and have those features that way. I have heard about the sketchy adherence to the CCS standard being an issue and hopefully that will go away a bit with ccs2 but yeah its a valid point, I had a chat with Emile about that issue due to the potential of installing aftermarket chademo and css upgrades to the leaf. Oddly one of the biggest issue with having both CCS and Chademo in the front of the leaf for Muxsan is fitting the outlets into the space under the charge flap. Could do what Damien Maguire does and hide it under the rear license plate using a flap.

I cant speak for hyundai's ev servicing but my experience of Nissans has been shocking. Sadly Indra have moved away from that game too i hear to focus on V2G so there is a real dearth of expert EV garages. I still rate Simon @ e-garage up in poulton-le-fylde quite highly if you have a Leaf or BMW (or any car really even a petrol/diesel one).

Registered
I think what that mostly says is that people still want family size cars, not tiny ones and not ridiculous enormous cars with pitiful interior space.
The maximum size of car for me is dictated by the width of the lane to my house and garage. The Leaf is wider than the Qashqai that I had before and just fits with the mirrors folded. Reminds me of that TV comedy from years ago "Never mind the quality, feel the width" :) Mind you, I am more than happy with the quality and performance of the Leaf 40.

Edit: Hmm Leaf 40 1788mm. Ioniq 1820mm which would probably rule out the latter for me. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts