Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I think it looks rather up market for a Hyundai and not at all surprised by the price tag.

It's another large expensive EV that's focusing on tech and creature comforts and speed but at least Hyundai have other not quite so expensive, normal cars on the market already.

·
Registered
17 Posts
£45k would appear to be the price of the fully loaded version, biggest battery, solar roof, 1 year IONITY network charging access (2 years access for the project 45 launch version), highest spec trim etc. I wonder what price the entry level one would be.

Also interesting to see it has a 1600kg towing capacity. Doubt I'd ever use that but I know people have been asking for an EV that can tow well.

I'd love a cheaper hatchback like this, I don't need something so big both in size and price! Looks like Ioniq 6 (sedan) and 7 (large SUV) are coming next though.

Info from: Hyundai IONIQ 5 Redefines Electric Mobility Lifestyle

·
Registered
85 Posts
The price of the Kona (Premium SE currently lists at £41500 OTR) is going to have to drop if you can get a much bigger, much more luxurious, more powerful, AWD Car for only £3500 more.

And I want to see the doors!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I really like the look of it, like the back end of the last gen A3 (less rounded) and the front end of a 90s Scirocco.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 BMW i3 120Ah / '20 Hyundai Kona 64kWh
2,325 Posts
Don’t know why manufacturers are still launching cars with this cap on a bit of a string solution. They’ve got a fancy motorised flap and then underneath a flimsy cap on a bit of plastic string that just hangs down on the metal work like a dag.

·
2,325 Posts

Steering column mounted gear selector is good — better position for it than down by your side.

Bjørn won’t be pleased to see an on/off button still.

Digital wing mirrors look gimmicky — and very much like a Google Home Hub has been glued to each door.

A/C controls look to be touch sensitive.

Wonder what the large round button in the steering wheel is — drive mode perhaps.

·
2quidforhalfanhour
303 Posts
Took a fair old tussle to get the cap off too.
Still, liking the look of it more and more.
I do wonder how those rear lights will age-they look fabulous but might go out of fashion pretty quickly.
Much prefer it overall to the iD3.

·
2,325 Posts
Has regen paddles I noticed too — so I guess Hyundai / Kia are sticking with a similar regen system to the eNiro/Kona/Soul.

Not sure that I really see the point of the moveable centre console. I think I would just always want an arm rest — which you seem to lose if you move the console all the way back. Maybe if they had put independent seat mounted arm rests in it would have been better.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,227 Posts
Digital wing mirrors look gimmicky — and very much like a Google Home Hub has been glued to each door.
I took that as adjustable? I hope the screens move otherwise it will be PITA to get these comfortable for viewing.

Reactions: Bill N

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,546 Posts
Not sure that I really see the point of the moveable centre console. I think I would just always want an arm rest — which you seem to lose if you move the console all the way back. Maybe if they had put independent seat mounted arm rests in it would have been better.
I guess winding it all the way back allows you to get out of the passenger side if needed?

·
2,325 Posts
I like the look of it overall — but there are elements that are overly fussy eg slashes on the wheel arches and elsewhere.

I’d be terrified driving around in a car with camera mirrors in London.

The touch sensitive climate controls..

Quirky magnetic bit for pinning notes to the dashboard. Bit weird, but ok. More importantly, the driver’s display actually shows a numeric SoC — unlike the Kona (and I believe its brothers/sisters).

·
2,325 Posts
I guess winding it all the way back allows you to get out of the passenger side if needed?
Ah yes — good point. Can’t remember the last time I ever thought I’d like to get out of the passenger side though. I suppose if you have the ability to easily do it then you might think about it more — could be a good safety feature when parked on the side of a busy road.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hyundai sell 80,000 cars in the UK, by 2030 they are going to have to have plenty of EV cars under £30k, not just £45k posh carriages.

·
2,325 Posts
Hyundai sell 80,000 cars in the UK, by 2030 they are going to have to have plenty of EV cars under £30k, not just £45k posh carriages.
I think you’ll be able to get an entry level one of these for not far off £30k after the grant and maybe some discounts.

61 - 80 of 154 Posts