Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 120 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not crazy about the camera mirrors, (imagine the replacement cost if a car passing while you're parked squeezes a bit too close to you and rips the thing off).
Bizarrely they’re cheaper to repair than mirrors. They’re quite low resolution (so cheap) and dimming them doesn’t involve stupidly expensive glass.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think Hyundai have shot themselves in the foot by not setting up completely as Ioniq. if you look at the directory on this website there is a different folder for Lexus and Toyota. If Hyundai genuinely want to separate the brands, they need to separate them properly.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 BMW i3 120Ah / '20 Hyundai Kona 64kWh
2,436 Posts
Ok - more impressed now after watching that video.

Expands on the eNiro/Kona/Soul regen system with improved auto-regen and also a full time “i-pedal” mode for proper one pedal driving.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The camera mirrors are located inside the doors aren't they? There will be a discreet camera pointing out externally but not in a position it can get ripped off by a close pass.
I take it you didn't see the image in post number 77 then. :LOL:

That camera sticks out a long way and is ripe for being ripped off by an HGV while you're stopped on the side of the road...
In some images as mentioned above there are conventional mirrors but these seem to be for the US market where camera mirrors aren't legal.
Yes I see many images show conventional wing mirrors - hopefully that's an option in all countries if you want it.

·
2quidforhalfanhour
304 Posts
I think Hyundai have shot themselves in the foot by not setting up completely as Ioniq. if you look at the directory on this website there is a different folder for Lexus and Toyota. If Hyundai genuinely want to separate the brands, they need to separate them properly.
[/QUOTE

Agreed.
You expect to pay more for a Lexus, because it's a Lexus not a Toyota.
Same with this- if they have set out to make Ioniq more upmarket, then Hyundai shouldn't be mentioned, anywhere.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
OK, had a better chance to look at this now. I don't really like to compare everything against Tesla, but Hyundai have really thought this car through:
  • Large battery/range: and we all know Hyundai/Kia are likely to be as close as anyone to the claimed range.
  • Supercharging
  • Minimalist interior - but they have kept a monitor in-front of the driver and stalks etc
  • V2G - I think this is a great idea, particularly for those working from home in the future
  • Boot space from a hatchback looks good
  • Interior space look great
Overall very impressed.

Reactions: Jan Treur

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,596 Posts
Hyundai were indeed planning to spin off IONIQ as their EV-only sub-brand.
The current Ioniq & Kona EVs may be the last EVs under the Hyundai brand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It doesn't have vehicle to grid, it's vehicle to load which lets you plug in normal 240v devices that use a standard UK 3 pin plug. V2G may come in future years variants. I think it's a great addition though, hopefully more cars will have it.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,596 Posts
It doesn't have vehicle to grid, it's vehicle to load which lets you plug in normal 240v devices that use a standard UK 3 pin plug. V2G may come in future years variants. I think it's a great addition though, hopefully more cars will have it.
V2G over CCS isn't expected until around 2025, according to what I've read online.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Interior looks very plasticy and cheap to me. Battery tech is impressive. Hopefully drives nicer than their other EVs. It's a big car I think .. videos/images make it seem smaller.

·
2,436 Posts
Interior looks very plasticy and cheap to me. Battery tech is impressive. Hopefully drives nicer than their other EVs. It's a big car I think .. videos/images make it seem smaller.
Good summary I think. It does need to drive better than the Kona for me to be keenly interested, but being RWD or AWD should be a big help there.

·
Registered
371 Posts
£45k ???!!!!

I thought EV prices were meant to be heading downwards becoming an alternative to ICE, realistically if the top end model is £45k then the lower end models are going to be mid to high £30ks.

I can't see the typical Hyundai ICE driver making the jump upto this.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,737 Posts
Size is bigger than Niro and on a par with an iPace 4.6m long. Amazed they went put a Hyundia emblem on it, should have just gone with ioniq to help people not gasp at paying that much for a Hyundai.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,282 Posts
Size is bigger than Niro and on a par with an iPace 4.6m long. Amazed they went put a Hyundia emblem on it, should have just gone with ioniq to help people not gasp at paying that much for a Hyundai.
Yes, this is what Seat are doing with their Cupra branding.

Maybe order one de-badged. :)

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,737 Posts
Some great cars coming out, but we are years from changing car and years from widespread ultra rapids. I can charge faster than 50kw already with the Soul but have only done so once on our journeys. 50kw is very much the norm for a while yet, on our journeys at least.

·
2,436 Posts
Closest size comparison I can think of in terms of fairly common cars that everyone has probably seen more than very occasionally is an Audi Q5.

The Ioniq 5 is almost exactly the same footprint as the Q5 - it’s just 5cm shorter in height (and has a 17cm longer wheelbase).

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I‘d probably go Hyundai for the better build, paint that stays on the car, double-length warranty, superior range and the significantly better interior.
I wouldn't set too much store in Hyundai paint, the two I have owned had a very thin application which was very easy to damage.

Still great cars, mind you.

101 - 120 of 178 Posts