Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wondered if I could get some advice? I’ve narrowed my choice down to these two (very different) cars. My main factors are price, range, and size (I ruled out the Kona and many others due to the lack of boot/ passenger space).

I cannot decide and wanted to ask owner help. I haven’t driven yet, because it’s not so easy due to Covid, so I’m doing the legwork online first

Ioniq:

+I can buy new for kr326000 (including a winter set of tyres)
+plenty of space (although not as good as I was hoping)
+Good range of features
+/- range is good, but not great
-I want this car to be with me for as long as possible and maybe it will depreciate more
-boring?? (Does this even matter?)
-smaller battery

E-Niro

+I like the higher driving position/ overall look
+Much better range (even if this gets worse over time and in the winter, it should be plenty)
+Comes out very well on many reviews
+better comfort for passengers in the back?
+larger battery
+/- maybe won’t depreciate as much?
+/- boot space ok, but not as big as I thought it would be from the outside
-I would have to pay more than kr390000 for a nearly new, with some km on the clock and maybe no second set of tyres

I wondered if anyone here can offer any real world advice?

Thank you

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add, we're a family of 4, plus pet. I am also wondering how they both fair in winter driving conditions (including snow and ice)

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I suggest check your routes using abetterrouteplanner . The Ioniq 38 is very aerodynamic, so that helps a slightly small battery. Abrp lets you play with things like speed, weather, and helps compare different Evs on your trips.

If you do trips that wll need a Rapid in, do be aware that Ioniq 38 slows down a lot above 50% SOC; I'm getting between 34 kW & 41 kW between 20% % 50%, that's my best region. It is not a quick-charging car! I don't know how e-Niro compares with this. But I can do the trips I want (just) without stopping, that was my main need. I paid £25,500 a few weeks a go for a 1 yr old one; now I see VW are desperate to shift id3 before end of year, so they're offering 62 kWh Life model for £26000, if this can be believed. So my Ioniq may well depreciate a bit because of that. Maybe there are similar offers in Norway?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I don’t quite understand your answer (I’m new to ev), but will do some research! There are some deals around, but the cars around seem to either be older and high mileage or very new - not much in between.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve just looked - the cheapest (albeit new) ID.3 is kr 369000 near me. I think I actually saw that one when I was looking at the weekend, but it comes back down to boot size and I’m not convinced by rear wheel drive (don’t want to risk not liking it in bad weather when spending this much money).

·
Registered
Tesla Model X 75 D
171 Posts
Well if you have an opportunity sit in them both, and drive them. I have only driven the eNiro but have sat in the Ioniq. Personally I think the Ioniq is not as nice. The interior felt and looked cheap to me. The E Niro materials and finish was probably slightly better than my 2 year old BMW phev. Also lots of goodies in the Eniro if you get the higher end ones. Both have boots smaller than you would imagine given the figures. I think they have raised the floor on the eniro boot for 2020 and this means that lots of the quoted boot space is now under the floor mat.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Interestingly I felt the opposite, I've driven both found the finish in the E Niro to feel cheaper compared to the Ioniq. The earlier Ioniq had some scratchy plastic so perhaps that is what onlineo sat in but maybe not. - Although both firms are linked Hyundai are pitched at a slightly higher place in the market place than Kia, so I think I'm right on this one ;-)

The Ioniq will cost you slightly less to run as it is more efficient with its use of electricity but neither of them will cost you much when compared to whatever you are driving at the moment.

For me the E Niro package was slightly better overall and its certainly a lot faster, I was sorely tempted but at the time availability and price were not favourable when compared to the Ioniq which is what I went for in the end.

The boot space is an unusual shape in the Ioniq but I find it works well for me as you can place bags of shopping beside each otther rather than on top and squashing the other things you have bought at the supermarket.

Ultimately I don't think you would disappointed with either car, neither would be a bad choice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I faced the same choice. The dogs decided it. The ioniq has a very shallow slope on the rear wind-screen, and I had visions of my two two terriers baking in strong sunshine. The Niro won, and I haven’t regretted my choice for a moment. The boot space is fine (for my needs), but if you want a bit more room, and aren’t carrying passengers in the rear, it’s easy to wedge a broomstick or similar to hold the back seats upright and get even more space.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I faced the same choice. The dogs decided it. The ioniq has a very shallow slope on the rear wind-screen, and I had visions of my two two terriers baking in strong sunshine. The Niro won, and I haven’t regretted my choice for a moment. The boot space is fine (for my needs), but if you want a bit more room, and aren’t carrying passengers in the rear, it’s easy to wedge a broomstick or similar to hold the back seats upright and get even more space.
I look to have about the same sized dog and it’s fine. Our dog lays or sits most of the time. Stood up she can get close to the glass, but plenty of room. Taking the lower shelf out give more room.

With the interior, the facelift Ioniq has a pretty nice interior, probably nicer than the Kona which hasn’t had a full refresh.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I have had both cars on extended weekend test drives. I preferred driving the Ioniq - it felt a but more sprightly, better on corners, more solid and I liked the driving position. I also preferred the cloth seats in the Premium version. The eNiro felt less lively but a bit more comfortable over uneven roads. I didn't like the interior as much, especially the leather seats. if you like a higher driving position its better though.

However because you are in Norway I would always go with the longest range possible given range drop off in cold weather. Therefore if Kona is too small I would go for the eNiro.

Edit - oops just realised this is an old thread. What did you go for in the end?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I look to have about the same sized dog and it’s fine. Our dog lays or sits most of the time. Stood up she can get close to the glass, but plenty of room. Taking the lower shelf out give more room.
Interesting. Thanks. It wasn’t the available space I was worried about, it was sunshine. I liked the Ioniq, so spent some time looking for shading material for the rear windscreen, or even those 90s-style Venetian blinds, but in the end I didn’t want to tinker with after-market fixes. Hence the e-Niro, even though I don’t like SUV body shapes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We ended up going for the kona (just - hasn’t arrived yet). I didn’t want the ioniq without the rear windscreen and I wanted a higher driving position, plus I wanted the bigger battery. I couldn’t find a Kia that didn't look like it had driven a lot of km for a price we could afford (including buying a set of winter tyres).

Time will tell we regret the size, but 90% of the time a smaller car to park trumps the need for a larger boot. We managed to buy a new (but not built for us) kona for less than a 2 year old Kia, so the guarantee balanced out (regarding time left). And we can rent a large car for a week if needed....

Choice was between dark cloth interior and light coloured vented seats. We went light interior, which I've had a few doubts about after deciding, but looked smart at the time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I realise we went for the option not in the title (!), but once we started looking in real life (not online), I didn’t want a low seated car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts