Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
301 - 320 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
@Badger in Black posted in the Zoe forum about his trip back in the Zoe40 which gave him 150 miles and his lead footed colleague 120 miles. Hence my comment that they seem to be getting the same from their Ioniq as their Zoe.
Ah ok. What we need is a Bjorn Nyland style of test. Ioniq v Zoe40 side by side on a same route. Who will win the battle of the range.

I'll jump in the Ioniq :)

Reactions: Bob Cook

·
Vendor
1,659 Posts
I have driven both over the same routes and to be honest in winter weather the difference seams to be negligible. I have no information on the true size of the Z.E 40 battery but currently I am assuming useable 40kWh however at the moment I have no confidence in saying how big the IONIQ battery is. Best guess is 28kWh useable even though Hyundai UK say it is 90% of that, the figures don't add up though.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Seems a bit cheap, we sold our Premium SE for £20,500 with 5K miles on. Just about to put a Premium on (all we could get) that will be up for sale end of March with about 5K on again, guessing it will be about £19Kish
Thanks, I did wonder what their game might have been. My guess was either it was a Premium not an SE or possibly they marked up a Hybrid instead of a BEV. Since they didn't get back in touch with any of us, we'll never know!

The mileage was crazily low for an ex-demo though.

·
Premium Member
12,481 Posts
I have driven both over the same routes and to be honest in winter weather the difference seams to be negligible. I have no information on the true size of the Z.E 40 battery but currently I am assuming useable 40kWh however at the moment I have no confidence in saying how big the IONIQ battery is. Best guess is 28kWh useable even though Hyundai UK say it is 90% of that, the figures don't add up though.
Are you really saying that the 28kWh Hyundai has the same range as a 40kWh Zoe? That seems very odd?

·
Super Moderator
7,654 Posts
Are you really saying that the 28kWh Hyundai has the same range as a 40kWh Zoe? That seems very odd?
Only needs to be 40% more efficient, I'd think it has less frontal area and has a much better cD than Zoe so it's possible.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I was trying to work out how much better it would have to be too. Power required goes up as the octuple of velocity, so does the aero gain need to be outlandish to get the efficiency increase?

Presumably the Zoe also loses some energy efficiency because the motor does double duty as a charger? Rarely do you get something for nothing. But then, that should make the Zoe lighter. Hmm.

·
Super Moderator
7,654 Posts
I was trying to work out how much better it would have to be too. Power required goes up as the octuple of velocity, so does the aero gain need to be outlandish to get the efficiency increase?

Presumably the Zoe also loses some energy efficiency because the motor does double duty as a charger? Rarely do you get something for nothing. But then, that should make the Zoe lighter. Hmm.
For highway mileage, aero and frontal area are the key things, rolling resistance and weight are way less important.

Ioniq has a frontal area of 28.3 square feet and a cD of 0.24, so cDa 6.81sq ft. As I remember the Zoe has a cD of 0.3, so even if it has the same frontal area as the Ioniq it's cDa becomes 8.51sqft, and actually I think it's frontal area is larger (the Zoe is quite tall)

Reactions: Vertigo

·
Registered
186 Posts
The Ioniq is also marginally lighter at 1420kg but again that shouldn't make that much difference. Maybe they have a better thermal management system so that it performs better in cold weather. Maybe it won't fluctuate as much as the Zoe does. I know I can easily get 5mpkWh in the summer, which then drops to around the 3.5-3.7 mark in winter.

Whatever it is I hope more manufacturers steal their efficiency secrets

Reactions: Slash68

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV
2,357 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
So... Exactly the same as a 30kWh Leaf.
You still don't believe in extensive test procedures such as by EPA, and the many reported positive experiences?
For example, see the hierarchy of efficiency numbers here from EPA with the Ioniq EV on the top of the list and the Leaf at page three. A difference in efficiency of about 10%, and the Ioniq EV also has a battery with 3% more capacity (31 vs 30 kWh), which adds to that to obtain a difference of 13% if it comes to range. This is also (more than) confirmed in comparative real world tests under equal circumstances, such as this one.

301 - 320 of 322 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.