Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 kona’s and one of them is tripping dc rapid chargers which work fine for the other kona .
Took it in to the garage they tested it and said it was ok but still tripping the rapid chargers ,have since found out the charger at the garage is a 5kw ac charger . We are getting away with charging it on the 3 pin charger have been told that the tech case has been closed and the car has to have the software updates first , then I have to go and attempt to to try a rapid charger again . I love the car but not happy with the servicing issue ,the other kona went into for it updates and I lost it for a week when it developed a fault they could not fix

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The kona with the problem is an ex demonstrator and only had 2 months , the other one is 6 months old .The chargers at work are Rolec 25 kw and they shut down and the 63 amp trip switches tripped out , these chargers are ok on Tesla, leafs bmw and my kona . The other chargers are hubsta 25 kw chargers and the they come up with internal error , charger not working . I think the garage should check it on a rapid charger before they give it back . My kona was charging on these chargers before and after it had it updates

·
Registered
408 Posts
25KW does not sound like a rapid charger (with 63amp breaker???). You are not talking about 22KW AC charge points, right? (sorry - just need to make sure we are on the same page).

If they are truly DC chargers then they may have the same problem as old EH DBT units. The charging is ramping up all the way to 106amps where it "trips". Apparently 106 amps is limit that unit can deliver but Kona wants more.
It was reported on this forum that software patch rectifies these problems (but it was only tested at EH rapids). I didn't have opportunity to check myself. So it would be wise to check that you are up to date with software updates and that they were all carried out correctly.

Quick check: do you see "Aux Battery Saver +" option in instrument cluster menu???
It was present in my Kona after updates and as a result it was tripping Eurotunnel chargers. Hyundai tech confirmed that update was not done correctly and they have re-done it. "Aux battery saver" disappeared but I don't have any old chargers near me to check it now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
25KW does not sound like a rapid charger (with 63amp breaker???). You are not talking about 22KW AC charge points, right? (sorry - just need to make sure we are on the same page).

If they are truly DC chargers then they may have the same problem as old EH DBT units. The charging is ramping up all the way to 106amps where it "trips". Apparently 106 amps is limit that unit can deliver but Kona wants more.
It was reported on this forum that software patch rectifies these problems (but it was only tested at EH rapids). I didn't have opportunity to check myself. So it would be wise to check that you are up to date with software updates and that they were all carried out correctly.

Quick check: do you see "Aux Battery Saver +" option in instrument cluster menu???
It was present in my Kona after updates and as a result it was tripping Eurotunnel chargers. Hyundai tech confirmed that update was not done correctly and they have re-done it. "Aux battery saver" disappeared but I don't have any old chargers near me to check it now.
Have to check the cluster out tomorrow, the electrican at the factory I work at said it had tripped the breakers in the factory 63 amp 3 phase breakers that each double charge point is connected to . Must admit confused over what chargers are called fast , rapid super fast etc

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Does the charger have the 2 pins at the bottom, below the 7-pin circular part? If not, it is an AC charger.
There have been a few reports of a faulty Kona onboard charger (OBC) shorting out two phases on a 3-phase charge point, so this could be the issue. If so, it might not be apparent if plugged into a single phase (7kW) chargepoint or granny cable.
A quick test would be to use a meter to test for continuity between each of the L2 and L3 pins (7 and 5 O'clock) and L1 ( 9 O'clock) on the 7-pin connector.
If there is continuity, this indicates this fault, and the car should NOT be connected to a 3-phase chargepoint til it's fixed - probably an OBC replacement under warranty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.